Canter lead help please

gemma1992

Visit site
I recently got a horse on loan from my riding school.
He's a 14hh ish, cob and approximately 6 years old.

I can get him to canter on the correct leg on the right rein (clockwise) but he always goes on the incorrect leg on the left rein (anti-clockwise). Also, when he's in canter or going into it he bucks, but only in canter.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

FFF

Visit site
My old pony had this problem.

Firstly when I trotted I trotted on both diagnol in case she was stiff, and more on the left diagnol.:)

I also cantered quite small circles and tried to encourage flying changes. Eventually it worked
wink.gif

damsel

Visit site
How weird is this my mums dales mare does exactly the same thing and on the same rein when i ride her. I have found that she listens more when i ask her from a walk and that the buck is to get on the wrong leg. She doesn't buck when i do it in walk. also try a canter pole put a pole where you would ask for the canter and it should get them on the right lead.

Hippona

Visit site
There was a thread on here a short while ago re this- someone mentioned flexing slightly to the outside, to put the horses inner shoulder slightly forwards, which should encourage her to strike off on the correct leg.
Also look at your own position......Ive just been doing this with my lad- practice figure of 8's over and over again - that sometimes helps also. Good luck - frustrating isnt it?!!

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Have you had his teeth and back checked? If they are ok does he do it on the lunge or only when ridden, also put in a lot of transitions to give him something to think about
smile.gif

golddustsara

Visit site
My gelding is a bit dodgey cantering on the right lead. My instructor advised raising my inside hand when asking for canter and this has helped a lot.

kerilli

Visit site
get saddle, teeth and back checked. if the horse happily canters on both leads in the field, then something physical is causing it.
do a trot circle, change rein at x and ask for canter just after you have changed the bend, as you head towards the corner. most horses will go on the correct lead rather than having the balance problem round the corners. make sure you're staying upright and even, try bringing your inside seatbone up and forward a bit if you really need to.
best of luck!

Parkranger

Visit site
I was just going to post about the pain thing. One of Ty's hocks was worse than the other and he could never get right canter lead - now it's fusing and he's on a bit of bute he strikes off properly every time....