Canter problems with my 18 yr old

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Hi. I'm
having some problems schooling my horse and wondered if I could get some tips. My horse has recently (last three months) struggled with the transition from trot to canter on the right rein. She had a new saddle fitted recently and the problem hasn't gone away. Instead of just cantering like she used to she tries to trot really fast. What's weird is when she is in canter she works beautifully, soft in the mouth and balanced. I feel like she isn't gathering herself up properly when I ask her for canter - that's the only way I can describe it. I tried asking different transitions but the same thing happens. Yesterday I was horrified to find she had started doing it on the right rein too. Before you ask, she is not due her teeth yet as only had them done recently. She doesn't appear to be sore in her back either. I try to sit and ask but she makes it impossible by legging it in trot. Help!! She never used to do this!

AprilBlossom

Visit site
My 18yo does this sometimes too, usually when someone little is riding him as he is quite a big horse to hold together. Afraid I don't have any advice but would be interested to see responses.

china

Visit site
i would get a mctimmoney person out, she may not be sore in her back but she may have her pelvis misaligned slighty which makes transitions and collecting difficult. if that turns up nothing, due to her age their may be boney changes happening which can be uncomfortable. But i would start with her having the once over from a qualified mctimmoney practitioner.

SJcrazee

Visit site
Hi. I had this problem with a horse of mine, turned out to be hock spavin making it difficult to put the inside hind right under to push into the transition. It turned out to be quite a problem in the school, hacking is better, but I had to give up dressage as working on a circle hurt the horse too much, so it was retired as a hack. I'd get your vet out to have a look. Good luck.

MrsHutt

Visit site
I'm having the same problem - but on the left rein!

Thing is, other people don't seem to have the trouble!!! Tells me that it's me that has the problem, not him!! I watched a (big, strong) man ride him yesterday - no trouble at all getting him to canter on the left rein. I had my lesson soon after and I must say, it was a bit better. I don't know if he had got Hugo 'warmed up' or if it was psychological; that because I'd seen him do it, then I knew he could do it!!

Have you tried her with other riders?

BentleyBelly

Visit site
Will she canter on the lunge? Is she the same out hacking? Try asking over a trotting pole or in a corner. As its such a sudden change I would be tempted to get the backman out and the saddler out to check the saddle again, new saddles do need adjusting again as they wear in. If nothing physically wrong I would suggest having a few lessons with a good instructor.

glenruby

Visit site
You need to get the vet out to examine her. At her age, shes likely to have some wear and tear and probably some arthritis - which can make it uncomfortable to do things she previously had no problems doing. Get a vet check, if nothing shows up then consider a physio or even a bute trial.

HollyJ

Visit site
When my old horse got like this it was usally pelvis related. He would often put his pelvis out. The mctimonney guy told me that with a twisted pelvis it makes them too restricted to strike off with that hind leg. Not so much painful as very uncomfortable. It took about four or five regualr treatments and a new saddle for me before he stopped putting it out. Could always see a massive improvement after each treatment.
It could be that the back problem is still there so you need ot get that resolved to use your new saddle to its full potential.
good luck
xx