Canter transition issue

Ceriann

Visit site
My mare has a lovely canter - one of the reasons I bought her 6 months ago. Push button ask and been great at teaching me how to get it right (as transition sharper/better with me improving). We've had feet problems from day 1 (underrun heels) - she's on 3rd set of eggbars but decision made to take them off and go barefoot end of this month.

Current niggle - she won't canter in the school for me on right rein. She's still good on left rein but right rein she just trots faster. We were flying end August - walk to canter etc so this is rubbish. Since then she's not been ridden as consistently (we were 6 days a week) we had 2 weeks off as I suffered a strain in my left hip, then 2 weeks of gentle works as I recovered. She was re-shod nearly 5 weeks ago and lost two shoes, second required a 4/5 days of poulticing. Been working regularly now for 3 weeks but no improvement for canter transition. She canters out hacking (we don't do much) and on lunge (but not as willing perhaps on lunge). I don't push the transition, I ask rebalance and ask again a couple of times. Never let her run on.
B

This could be me - left hip issue was a real blow but i feel pretty much back to normal and feel like I'm asking clearly and in the same way as on left rein. When I bought her I worked hard on my wonkiness (with my instructor) but through that she cantered in ask. Lesson Sunday (we've missed so many with the issues) so we might identify an issue with me. Could be fitness but she had 6 weeks off when feet issues first identified and she came back without an issue. Could be feet and she's feeling the eggbsrs - I'm not happy with them and now have a new Farrier on board who agrees she needs to come out of them (he's due in a few days).

Teeth and saddle done recently and physio booked for straight after Farrier.

Any thoughts/experiences please?

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if it is a combination of things, when you got her she was "tuned up" and probably quick to react to your aid even if it was not always perfect, now with time off, your injury, lack of consistency etc she has just got a bit rusty and lost her initial quick response, it is not the end of the world as your instructor is aware of your wonkiness and has helped before, it may be a good idea if she has a sit on to tune her up a bit before you canter, it can really help you both get back on track.

JustMe22

Visit site
The simplest way to check if its you or the horse would of course be to chuck your instructor up there and see what she does.

It doesn't seem incidental that it's your left hip and her right rein. What we did with my young ex-racer to stop the trot RUSH RUSH canter transition was to go sitting for a circle or so flexing him and in my instructor's words 'get him really hot off your INSIDE leg.' Achieved obviously via using my leg (strongly if necessary) until he actually started to bend properly and yield his body to the leg rather than just going faster.

Once he started to really give his body and his jaw I would keep a good outside contact, very gently slide my outside leg back for the transition and make completely sure not to lean to the inside. As soon as I started to lean to the inside or give away my outside contact he would either rush into the transition or go onto the wrong leg.

She also used to regularly shout 'Don't be in such a hurry to canter!' to me, which helped as I tended to want to ask and get an immediate reaction rather than asking and waiting but still asking, which is what the horse needed when he wasn't sure how to do it from a slower trot. It would take him a stride or two longer, but it was like he needed to figure out what to do with his feet without me interfering

Ceriann

Visit site
I'd be happier if it's me - we've sorted lots of issues together already (instructor, neddie and me) - Sunday might be telling! My initial wonkiness was leaning to the left and my right leg all over the place, which if anything affected left rein canter. So this is sort of new and perhaps left leg isn't as stable as it was. My right rein has always been better so there's hope I can sort it quickly. My instructor currently out of the saddle but she will know someone who can tune her if needed.

JillA

Visit site
There has been another post recently on a similar subject (look up spurs for a newbie) and we suggested a couple of things. For you, a single cavaletti (or pole on a couple of small blocks_ just before a corner would focus you on a proper trot and encourage her to strike off after a mini jump. Or work on walk to canter - mine did that before he did trot to canter because my seat was so much more secure at walk enabling me to "lift" him into a canter. Always assuming she isn't too much on the forehand to be able to do it promptly

Annagain

Visit site
Will she pick up right lead on the lunge? It might help work out whether she has a physical problem or if it's you?

Strangely, it worked in the opposite way with my share horse but had the same effect. He'd canter on the right leg under saddle because he knew what I was asking and was such a darling he'd do it even though it must have been hurting but on the lunge he'd go off on the left all the time.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If shoes are coming off and you are going to rehab her barefoot I honestly wouldn't worry about it right now, I would wait and see how she is once you get to the point of cantering again when the feet are strong enough.

Ceriann

Visit site
If shoes are coming off and you are going to rehab her barefoot I honestly wouldn't worry about it right now, I would wait and see how she is once you get to the point of cantering again when the feet are strong enough.

Main worry is its her feet so not pushing it all with her -she's a lovely natured mare so don't want to take advantage of that if she's feeling the eggbars. If it is me though, be good to know to see what work I do during the transition period to improve our chances of getting this sorted once BF. A lunge lesson is one I've thought of.

Ceriann

Visit site
There has been another post recently on a similar subject (look up spurs for a newbie) and we suggested a couple of things. For you, a single cavaletti (or pole on a couple of small blocks_ just before a corner would focus you on a proper trot and encourage her to strike off after a mini jump. Or work on walk to canter - mine did that before he did trot to canter because my seat was so much more secure at walk enabling me to "lift" him into a canter. Always assuming she isn't too much on the forehand to be able to do it promptly

I was planning pole work at my lesson so will be good to see how she goes. She works well otherwise, forward and into contact but goes to pot on canter ask on right rein!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The thing is it could be both, ie that she is less equipped with any wonkiness you have because she has other stuff going on. I'm perpetually wonky (I work quite hard at not but I have issues :p) but for the most part that doesn't affect my pony unless he also has other stuff going on.

I would have the physio and do some straightness training on both of you while you rehab :D. It is important to keep up with physio/body work while she transitions anyway as they can get sore while they start to move differently.

If you had walk to canters solid a couple of months ago I would strongly think something is going on with her.

Ceriann

Visit site
The thing is it could be both, ie that she is less equipped with any wonkiness you have because she has other stuff going on. I'm perpetually wonky (I work quite hard at not but I have issues :p) but for the most part that doesn't affect my pony unless he also has other stuff going on.

I would have the physio and do some straightness training on both of you while you rehab :D. It is important to keep up with physio/body work while she transitions anyway as they can get sore while they start to move differently.

If you had walk to canters solid a couple of months ago I would strongly think something is going on with her.

I'm definitely wonky - sometimes fact she is so good and willing, letting me focus on me blows my mind as I realise how much is wrong! She does allow me to spotlight my weaknesses! Do agree though, she would work with that usually (and my riding has improved - with a way to go). Physio last time identified soreness in both shoulders and lower neck area which she thought was feet related) so we mis fo lots of carrot stretches - coming out again a few days post Farrier.

Couple of months ago I would show off our transitions as they were so spot on (or were spot on fir me) for it to fall apart (mainly in last month) I suspect it's a mix.

spike123

Visit site
could she still be a little sore from losing shoes needing poulticing? May explain why she's struggling to get the correct lead but it's possible that your wonkyness started the problem and the losing shoes exagerrated the problem. I'd perhaps get a phsyio/chiro to check your horse out and make sure nothing is out of sorts with her. My horse when young couldn't canter on the right lead at all. It took 3yrs to completely cure the problem as he had issues with his pelvis and i was also unintentionally blocking his shoulder from giving me the correct lead. Once both issues were dealt with he was perfectly ok and now has regular 6mthly visits to keep him on track. I can tell he needs looking at as there is a noticeable difference in the feel of his left and right canter although he still happily gives me the correct lead both ways.