Canter transitions

Chestnut mare

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I sadly lost my horse of 19 years 2 and a half years ago. During the last 10 years of ownership we were happy hackers previously doing sponsored rides and prelim dressage.

I had a break from horses apart from the odd hack on a friends horse and a couple of riding school lessons.

A couple of months ago I have taken on a share of a lovely horse, he’s an absolutely saint. It’s mostly a hacking share but owner is happy for me to do sponsored rides, lessons, clinics etc.

Any way bringing me onto my point, I have a massive issue with asking for canter. I’ve had a couple of lessons on him, but it’s still not cracking it.

I think I’m a reasonable rider, my instructor says I’m a lovely soft, light rider. But this is getting very embarrassing! This horse is wonderful and I don’t want to ruin him.

I try to sit the trot, I ask with leg on and leg behind the girth, I then find that I’m still rising but asking, the horse is getting confused, the trot is getting faster and more unbalanced, I lose my balance and end up having to walk. This is on the riding school horses too not just on my share so it’s me not the horses.

I don’t have lot of money to spend on lessons can anyone help?

Thank you

littleshetland

Visit site
Its a bit hard to advise without actually seeing it, but make sure you establish sitting trot first before asking. Try using your voice in conjunction with the leg aid. Don't make the leg aid too big and 'clunky'. Make sure you're not bending/flexing the horse too much with the inside rein. Try going our for a hack and practice in an open area, but, re reading your post, it sounds like you need to establish sitting trot before the transition to canter. If it's all going wrong, and the horse starts 'running' in an unbalanced trot, just come back to a nice balanced trot, establish sitting and try again. I'm sure you'll get it...good luck. Edited to ask, do you have trouble on both reins, or is it a bit easier/worse on one particular rein?

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
Can you walk to canter?
Honestly it just sounds like you're over thinking it and it's making you both tight. Maybe have a neck strap just to keep your hands low and quiet just sit for a beat with the intention to accept canter if offered. Don't think about where your leg is or anything, just sit think canter and go, or not and go rising after 3 strides.
Or just work on sitting a few steps here and there without asking anything - again don't say no if it's offered but just sit a bit - eg 3 strides if either of you gets tight just rise again

Chestnut mare

Visit site
Its a bit hard to advise without actually seeing it, but make sure you establish sitting trot first before asking. Try using your voice in conjunction with the leg aid. Don't make the leg aid too big and 'clunky'. Make sure you're not bending/flexing the horse too much with the inside rein. Try going our for a hack and practice in an open area, but, re reading your post, it sounds like you need to establish sitting trot before the transition to canter. If it's all going wrong, and the horse starts 'running' in an unbalanced trot, just come back to a nice balanced trot, establish sitting and try again. I'm sure you'll get it...good luck. Edited to ask, do you have trouble on both reins, or is it a bit easier/worse on one particular rein?

both reins are as bad as each other unfortunately. I did think of trying to get someone to video me so I can see exactly what’s going on.
I hack him out quite a bit and canter out no problem, following another horse in canter and on my own asking him.
He is very bouncy in trot but as it happened on the riding school horses too! I know it’s not just that .

Chestnut mare

Visit site
Can you walk to canter?
Honestly it just sounds like you're over thinking it and it's making you both tight. Maybe have a neck strap just to keep your hands low and quiet just sit for a beat with the intention to accept canter if offered. Don't think about where your leg is or anything, just sit think canter and go, or not and go rising after 3 strides.
Or just work on sitting a few steps here and there without asking anything - again don't say no if it's offered but just sit a bit - eg 3 strides if either of you gets tight just rise again

Thank you I will try that.

oldie48

Visit site
If you haven't already, just check with the owner how she asks for canter, all of mine have been slightly different but the main problem can be over asking, as in leg clamped on making the horse run in trot rather than giving you a transition. It also helps if you can get the timing right but that's about feel. I'd also try walk to canter as if the horse has a big trot you may be struggling to sit tbh I've had horses that were difficult to sit to but if you get the timing right and give a clear aid most will go from a rising trot, not ideal but a workable solution. Quality of trot is also pretty important, perhaps your trainer can help you to sort that out. Good luck, it's frustrating but you'll work it out eventually

humblepie

Visit site
I was also thinking trying walk to canter if the horse is schooled for that and as others have said try not to overthink it - I think most of us overthink and then something becomes a problem which isn't. It is very difficult with different horses if you aren't riding different horses all the time - I couldn't walk my friend's PSG horse in a straight line as I was giving an aid to move away from my leg without realising it.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Every now and then I lose my canter transitions too. I did with my previous mare occasionally and it also happens occasionally with my current one. If I fluff a transition, I get a bit flustered and then I definitely overthink it the next time I ask, and it becomes a bit of a vicious circle. My regular trainer has said in the past the the canter transition is the most 'individual' aid between a partnership if that makes sense.

Definitely check with the owner how they ask - some horses are trained from the inside leg, some from the outside, some from a combination of both. It may be that you are just not asking the way the horse is trained, and the horse isn't understanding what you want. Also agree with riding walk to canter to help, and then try and imagine you are doing the same in trot to canter.

Something that helped me with the other thinking is doing canter/trot/canter transitions with a specific number of trot steps in between - say 8 or 10, and repeat. Once you've asked a few times the horse will probably cotton on to what you want and it will be easier. You are definitely not alone in this! Good luck.

Chestnut mare

Visit site
If you haven't already, just check with the owner how she asks for canter, all of mine have been slightly different but the main problem can be over asking, as in leg clamped on making the horse run in trot rather than giving you a transition. It also helps if you can get the timing right but that's about feel. I'd also try walk to canter as if the horse has a big trot you may be struggling to sit tbh I've had horses that were difficult to sit to but if you get the timing right and give a clear aid most will go from a rising trot, not ideal but a workable solution. Quality of trot is also pretty important, perhaps your trainer can help you to sort that out. Good luck, it's frustrating but you'll work it out eventually

good idea thank you

Chestnut mare

Visit site
Every now and then I lose my canter transitions too. I did with my previous mare occasionally and it also happens occasionally with my current one. If I fluff a transition, I get a bit flustered and then I definitely overthink it the next time I ask, and it becomes a bit of a vicious circle. My regular trainer has said in the past the the canter transition is the most 'individual' aid between a partnership if that makes sense.

Definitely check with the owner how they ask - some horses are trained from the inside leg, some from the outside, some from a combination of both. It may be that you are just not asking the way the horse is trained, and the horse isn't understanding what you want. Also agree with riding walk to canter to help, and then try and imagine you are doing the same in trot to canter.

Something that helped me with the other thinking is doing canter/trot/canter transitions with a specific number of trot steps in between - say 8 or 10, and repeat. Once you've asked a few times the horse will probably cotton on to what you want and it will be easier. You are definitely not alone in this! Good luck.

thank you very much, you are spot on! I watched loads of videos last night of canter transitions and got on so determined to crack it but it didn’t work so I left feeling so down and deflated!

I will ask her how she asks him to canter, he’s such a good boy and when I first came to try him she rode first and didn’t have any issues.
I’ve cantered him out a lot on a hack and even hacking out on my own and he’s very nice and comfy.

I’m pretty sure I’m over thinking it but it’s making me feel very bad.

Zuzan

Visit site
This might sound weird .. but try cantering on your own two feet .. Try and take the feeling of how you hold yourself when you canter yourself to when you are riding.. a common issue is for people to look down and kind of going into a scrunch .. but if you remember how you went into canter when you were on your own two feet you will have found it much easier when you are looking ahead and your body is open .. cantering on your own two feet can help you feel how to do it when mounted.

eta Find the playful light heartedness of cantering as others have said over thinking will cause you to tense .. and the playful funness of cantering will help you and the horse you are riding.

tristar

Visit site
also try to remember to let your hands go forward and be soft when asking for canter so he does not meet a hard hand as he jumps into the first few canter strides which may happen if you are feeling a bit tense about it all, and try using your seat bones

as he canters well when out you could try paying attention to how you are asking and what you are feeling when hacking and cantering

Goldenstar

Visit site
Firstly you need to practise from walk
You also need to know which aid the horse has learnt does he strike off from a cue from your inside leg with preparation from the outside or does he stike off from a cue your outside leg .
I teach my horses to strike off from the inside leg with the preparation from the outside and I keep my inside leg well forward and outside definitely well back my horses will sometimes offer medium trot to a rider that does not put the outside leg back as far as I do .
Ask his owner how she asks for canter .

Carrottom

Visit site
Do you jump at all. I find a jumping lesson is a good way to improve canter transitions as it gives us something else to focus on so I don't get hung up about the transition.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Definitely another vote to ask owner for help. Mine goes into canter without sitting trot first. Straight in from rising trot but on the 'sit'. He could do it from sitting trot but it would be more likely to go wrong as it could confuse the aids being given if him and rider weren't used to each other.