Cantering a v green pony

twiggy2

Visit site
I'm going to add here that it was not on a corner that he got upset. The school is 20 x 60.

I don't really want my daughter taking him out on a hack yet until we are absolutely certain that this is not a 'bolting issue' . Do you have any other suggestions please?
If it was aborting issue he would have kept going and no bit would have stopped him.
All youngsters run through the bit at times due to confusion, lack if balance or fear- it's part of backing, the don't start ridden work soft and balanced.
You don't bit up newly backed youngsters it just creates resistance, hard mouths and them backing if the bit.
You sound like you need some help with getting this pony settled into work before things start down the wrong track.
I don't think you need a Highland specific trainer as a good trainer will work the horse/rider in front of them to the correct level.
Good luck.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't think you need a Highland specific trainer as a good trainer will work the horse/rider in front of them to the correct level.

I could not agree more. I see a lot of this "someone who knows highlands" nonsense in other breed groups and it's almost always from people who thinks highlands don't like arena work / can't canter in an arena at 4 / are stubborn / difficult / somehow special and different from other equines in a way that excuses their own lack of success with their pony.

I think highlands are far, far more versatile, more rideable, more trainable and more capable than these people give them credit for, and I think that their excuses do the breed a disservice.

That's not to say that people shouldn't choose to never ride in an arena, or to do first canters outside if they have a better option, but it's the very specific idea that a highland (because it is always highland, rather than equine in general) is incapable of doing those things.

(Sorry, OP, this is largely tangential to your issue. But I think have answered fairly fully about what you should do next, in my opinion.)

Leo Walker

Visit site
My cobby native type pony finds canter hard. She had a couple of months off in autumn, and is now fit enough that shes trotting most of 5 miles easily. Shes doing the odd 100yds of canter out and about now if the opportunity arises. We are still only walking and trotting in the school. Cantering doesnt come naturally to her and she finds it even harder on a school surface. She finds it much easier once shes fit, but even with the road work we do, shes not school fit. Even with my light weight very experienced rider up we are another month or so away from canter schooling.

Leo Walker

Visit site
You dont need a highland specific trainer! My instructor works with my cobby pony, highlands, a great big shire horse, warmbloods, you name it hes probably seen it and improved it. I think he'd die laughing if I told him I was sacking him and bringing in a highland specific trainer when my baby highland is ready to start.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
I could not agree more. I see a lot of this "someone who knows highlands" nonsense in other breed groups and it's almost always from people who thinks highlands don't like arena work / can't canter in an arena at 4 / are stubborn / difficult / somehow special and different from other equines in a way that excuses their own lack of success with their pony.

Eeep.
If you are lucky enough to have a good all round RI , coupled with good basic knowledge of your then I agree, you don't need to hunt down someone who knows the breed.
However....
OP in this case sounds like it may be fairly crucial to get the 'right' person to help - there are many many inexperienced people out there claiming to be able to back and start ponies. At least by engaging someone who (cough) "knows the breed" (or natives in general), you have a better chance that they fundamentally understand the conformation, development and subsequent balance of a heavy set native pony and will thus set the rider and pony up for success with achievable targets, not because they are stubborn, difficult etc etc.... but they can become this if pushed physically and mentally too early. Yes they can canter in an arena at 4.... but the rider has to be confident enough and experienced enough to allow the pony to go forward and understand the difference between running through the bit with lack of balance and confusion and bolting.

Just my very humble thoughts

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
If that was what you meant by strong, that's fair enough, but I don't think that it reads that way in the context of your post.

I don't think they "don't suffer fools gladly". I regularly put complete novices and children on mine and they're very trustworthy. They aren't donkeys but they will generally try to do what's asked of them, and I think that's the polar opposite of stubborn.

As for easily trained to do the wrong thing - that's like any equine out there. Train them poorly and you will have a poorly trained animal. It's not a highland trait, it's a horse one.

The one I've just bought is super sweet. His mum has never been backed yet she does pony rides for the kids, and treats them like they are made of glass. I'm sure some are strong and stubborn, just like some cobs are strong and stubborn. They definitely all arent though. Yours are a good example of two that are definitely not rude stubborn creatures, and who do all sorts of weird and wonderful things with you that lesser horses would probably have a heart attack over!

aajk

Visit site

I think highlands are far, far more versatile, more rideable, more trainable and more capable than these people give them credit for, and I think that their excuses do the breed a disservice.

That's not to say that people shouldn't choose to never ride in an arena, or to do first canters outside if they have a better option, but it's the very specific idea that a highland (because it is always highland, rather than equine in general) is incapable of doing those things.

(Sorry, OP, this is largely tangential to your issue. But I think have answered fairly fully about what you should do next, in my opinion.)

Exactly this. It really gets my back up!

JFTDWS

Visit site
The one I've just bought is super sweet. His mum has never been backed yet she does pony rides for the kids, and treats them like they are made of glass. I'm sure some are strong and stubborn, just like some cobs are strong and stubborn. They definitely all arent though. Yours are a good example of two that are definitely not rude stubborn creatures, and who do all sorts of weird and wonderful things with you that lesser horses would probably have a heart attack over!

He looks cute, will be interesting to see how he turns out! That's my point - it's an individual trait, not a breed trait. You could probably find yourself a stubborn TB (or a hot QH, or a laid back TB if you prefer) if you looked for one!