Cantering on a serious angle - any thoughts?

melv1lle

sams-progress.blogspot.com
I am working very hard with my lad to increase his general balance and straightness - he raced for 10 years so working on bends is a bit new for him. Anyway, we seem to be moving forwards really well the one sticking point that never gets any better is cantering on a circle especially on the left rein. He leans right in and we go round angled like a motorbike racer! If I try and get him off my inside leg to stop the leaning he just sees it as an aid to go faster so we increase speed but stay on the lean. Anyone had a similar issue or have any ideas??

miamibear

Visit site
Have you tried lunge work in canter on the lunge, this may be better for him because it will teach him how to cope with canter circles without having to balance a rider too. You can keep him out with the lunge whip too

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
rather than focussing too much on a 'circle' work on one bend to start with, so canter in a bigger area, establish you canter then ride a big sweeping curve rather than a definate circle, also rather than just trying to push him out again, also focus on the rhythm & speed, as once you get those right you'll have mor to play with in terms of where you put him on a turn. hope that helps

ExRacers

Visit site
Know just how you feel! I've had my 15 yr old ex racer for a year but spent the first 6 months just hacking and getting to know him. Prior to me he had raced and then been lead horse on the gallops for the youngsters so was effectively in training every day! First lesson I had on him earlier this year I couldn't even get him to canter round the arena - the straight sides were ok but the corners were definite motorbike jobs! Anyway we've now been having a lesson every week for the last 6 weeks and what a difference it has made! Spent a long time working on bending in walk and trot and now he can canter a very passable 20m circle! So much so that he came 2nd in his very first dressage test!! My instructor is very firmly of the belief that going back to the basics is the way forward and I think she's right! I don't have a school to ride in at home either so we have to practise out hacking.

So really all I can say is that it will come but with time and patience so keep working at it! I also have a 22 yr old ex racer who was fully reschooled before he came to me & is a complete gem to ride so I live in hope that his understudy above can go the same way!! Good luck!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I too would recommend canter on the lunge, on a pretty small circle at that. After three or four days they suddenly click they have to use their hind leg underneath to balance and from then on it's easy.
Monty is still attempting to bring his quarters in as you can see in some of the blog pics, that's why her leg is so far back and toe down..
it's worked for him so have a go at small circle lunging (you need sidereins between the legs too)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Loads of leg yielding with him. This will increase his balance & get him to bring his hocks underhimself. As his balance gets better all his paces will improve, but it will take time. Good Luck

Twiglet

Visit site
Mine wasn't a racer, but had exactly the canter you described - don't know how I stayed on some days. I used to call it his 'Kawasaki Kanter' because I felt like a motorcycle racer......

It took quite a while but now canter is by far my horse's best pace, and has come on leaps and bounds and is learning flying changes at the age of 16!

I also recommend lateral work such as leg yield for its engagement of the hocks (I found that a lot of the motorbiking was due to him also being heavily on the forehand).
Other than that, it's been a question of balancing him as a whole, doing lots of work in walk and trot initially before moving up to canter.
Lots of trot transitions helped - short bursts of canter, rather than letting it go long and flat.

And lots of lessons with a good trainer!!

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
I know exactly how you feel!!
My little mare is an ex-polo pony, and her motorbiking is next on my list of thing to sort. Up until now i've had enough psychological issues to be going on with! Your post came up just as i was about to post for advice about the exact same thing.

Thanks to everyone for the advice they've given, i appreciate it just as much as SCostello!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Antifaz motorcycles on the left, especially when he's getting a bit tired. I tend to keep him in a bigger circle, then pop him into a smaller one when he feels comfortable, then go large again, and so on. Riding 50p shapes rather than a circle might help too
smile.gif