Cantering on the road

Kaylum

Visit site
Foot care is so important and needs to be researched well. The hooves are there to absorb concussion, this means everything about them matter. Their shape, their care, how thin are their walls. A horse gets its environmental information through its hoof this results in a change in posture on different surfaces. So making your horse go into the posture shape you want it to on different surfaces its often a damaging factor. A horse can adjust itself and does try to but is often stopped by its rider. A toe landing first has been linked to arthritic changes.

Hoof care by owners needs to be looked into properly. Not just the farrier comes regularly. What are you achieving from that. But thats a whole different post.

When buying a horse get some decent photos of the feet and send them to your hoof care provider. Vets are not knowledgeable enough when it comes to hooves.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So just trying to get my head round this logic….
Even though it’s never been proven that the equi biome test works and the PSSM2 test hasn’t been shown to be reliable as no proven scientific papers you are happy to recommend these to people and the overall conclusion from these unscientific tests is that it might shorten a horses working life, that’s fine. But you are unwilling to look at several different scientific studies and conclude that it won’t be shown as true on trotting on the road because their isn’t a direct examination of this?

Are you confusing me with someone else? I've never recommended the equibiome test and I have always recommended against the PSSM2 test.

I have no idea why you addressed this to me or why two other people liked what you wrote.

(ETA Palo/TPO I would be grateful if you could unlike the post or otherwise acknowledge that you accept that I have never said those things.)

Last edited:
Visit site
I didn't ask for anyone to fund it. But until it IS funded then it's not right for people to assert that getting horses fit by trotting them in straight lines on flat hard surfaces will shorten their working lives, because none of us know if that is true.

Precisely this. Each and every one of us on this forum are entitled to our own opinion. It seems a few here are not happy to hear others views and it’s ‘their way or no way’ which comes across as quite small minded.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Precisely this. Each and every one of us on this forum are entitled to our own opinion. It seems a few here are not happy to hear others views and it’s ‘their way or no way’ which comes across as quite small minded.
Happy to hear views absolutely, happy to have anecdote vs fact being glossed over - no. As I have already said there is a vast quantity of people out there who think the world is flat. That is their opinion, and under opinion vs fact that would give it as much creedance as the world being round.

ycbm

Visit site
Can anyone actually point to any evidence that controlled trotting in straight lines on hard flat surfaces shortens horses working lives in comparison to other ways of exercising ridden horses?

ETA I get that trotting on hard surfaces can potentially be damaging. What I don't see having been established is that it is any more damaging than the many other ways of riding horses, which I think are probably all, to a greater or lesser extent, damaging compared with not riding.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
Happy to hear views absolutely

Including views that were never expressed, in my case. Since you've been back on the thread recently, could you acknowledge my post #93 please Lec. Whoever you were thinking of, it wasn't me.

Last edited:

stangs

Visit site
Can anyone actually point to any evidence that controlled trotting in straight lines on hard flat surfaces shortens horses working lives in comparison to other ways of exercising ridden horses?

ETA I get that trotting on hard surfaces can potentially be damaging. What I don't see having been established is that it is any more damaging than the many other ways of riding horses, which I think are probably all, to a greater or lesser extent, damaging compared with not riding.
I think the general biomechanics rule applies here that there’s no such thing as a bad movement/position (or in this case, surface) provided there is plenty of variety of movement/position/surface.

Ratface

Visit site
Semi-retired old horse is only allowed to walk on the roads round us.
Unfortunately, he's mislaid/forgotten/never received that memo.
Anyone else ever had to do a one-rein stop in trot?
Old horse is still, at 30, addicted to speed, in all gaits.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
For the last 35 years I have done more driving than riding. Most of that driving has been done on roads as there is very little off road places round here. I have had animals driving well into their 20's that started at 4/5 years old. I have also had the self same animals driving 50/60 miles a week mostly in trot.

Lack of soundness was not the demise of any of them. The only unsound one, hocks & SI, had done very little road work for 5 years before his retirement aged 12, most of his work had been done on grass and forestry tracks with a good proportion being done in walk.

To me using common sense and working within the fitness of the animal is more important than the actual work. If something is doing 10 miles a day, 8 of which is trot on the road, 5/6 days a week, then it has to be got fit to do that amount of work. Just doing this on a weekend and nothing during the week is asking for a problem to develop. People will then blame the trotting on the road, not their lack of preparation to do the trotting.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
There must be a difference though, to the impact depending on whether the horse is being ridden or driven on the road? Adding the weight of the rider must increase the impact on the joints etc? I would imagine that is less if driven ??

Tarragon

Visit site
My old fashioned reply to this is "every thing in moderation"
Some trotting is probably fine, up hill and not on the forehand etc. etc., some cantering is probably fine .... but that is very different from "pounding" the roads for miles!
Having the television on all day with constant dross is certainly not good for you and having no television will certainly mean that that won't happen in your house, but there is nothing wrong with being picky about what you watch and occasionally watching quality and informative programs