Capped Hock

michb52

Visit site
Has anyone ever heard of putting goose fat on a capped hock?
My mare capped hers approx 9 weeks ago and although she is sound it looks so bad
frown.gif

Anyone any other tips?

amandathepanda

Visit site
The only thing I have ever found that worsk is applying DMSO which you get from your vet. I would do it now before the capped hock gets too established - you have more chance of getting rid of one while it is new in my experience!

michb52

Visit site
Had used DMSO on it in the beginning but to be honest I wasnt happy using it as it was blistering and the hair was falling out. I know that that is basically the idea behind it but didnt like the idea of hurting her more if you know what I mean?

Penniless

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever heard of putting goose fat on a capped hock?
My mare capped hers approx 9 weeks ago and although she is sound it looks so bad
frown.gif

Anyone any other tips?

[/ QUOTE ] Buy clay - its the coldness and the wetness which seems to get rid of it. Use for about a week.

Halfstep

Visit site
Would clay help reduce an old capped hock? Or is it a waste of time? My horse has a capped hock that he got as a yearling.....it never bothers him at all, and I don't think about it much, but would quite fancy making it go away if possible!

D

Donkeymad

My first pony had a capped hock on arrival. I didn't know too much then but it just went on it's own. I know a lot more now (but still learning!)

KatB

Visit site
Hmm prob not. The left over "capped" ness is normally due to thickened skin/slight tissue swelling. Again, the ting to reduce it would come from increased circulation....so again, hosing, cooling it off, or the other extreme, getting a neoprene hock boot and sweating it out!! Found Magno boots were good on Goddy's, can barely nitice his at all now
smile.gif

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
thick beds and banked sides
and good old clay poultice that you can buy from any tack store
clay reduces capped hock if soft still put on in the evening wash off mornings and re apply twice daily
clay is mud -- type so when drys tightens