Car battery advice, please

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I know this might not seem a horsey question, but it's for my electric fencing.
grin.gif

When I try to recharge my car battery, it never seems to get charged, although it is quite new.
As one of my herd has gorged on so much illicit grass having run gaily through the mains fencing (off due to a power cut), I would like to be able to charge the battery and zap her.
Can anyone help/advise?
S
grin.gif

carys220

Visit site
Have you either tried a different charger or tried a different battery with that charger?

Some batteries do eventually just die but if you say it's quite new then it should be OK.

Not much help, sorry!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There was me thinking you had done away with your broomstick.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the price of fuel as it is, I find my broomstick economical.
I should have said that my horse ate so much grass she colicked
frown.gif
so I am keen to zap her knees to prevent a repeat.
S
grin.gif

the watcher

Visit site
Are there plastic screws along the top of the battery that you can loosen? Recharging the battery creates bubbles and I understand it is best to let this gas escape for efficient recharging.

Alternatively get a leisure battery, these are designed for frequent recharging

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you either tried a different charger or tried a different battery with that charger?

Some batteries do eventually just die but if you say it's quite new then it should be OK.

Not much help, sorry!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is the charger...but wondered if I need to top up the battery or some such nonsense?
S
grin.gif

NeilM

Visit site
Modern car batteries tend to be sealed these day. Some still have sulphuric acid in them (which is topped up with distilled water) and others have an acidic gel. When they are charged they vent gas (not air, I seem to recall that it's hydrogen), but this has an escape route built into the battery itself. You can rock the battery back and forth while charging, to allow the bubbles at the very bottom to make it out of the cell. (no! I am not suggesting ANYONE has a bubbling bottom!!).

If your battery is not taking a full charge and does not last very long when charged, I'm afraid it's on it's way out.

Try to get hold of a battery from a larger car. We have one from a Mercedes (dahlings), which is big enough to have a couple of carrying handles built in. I have only had to charge it once over the whole summer, and our fence is 80 yards long (doubled). A normal car battery will not last anything like that. An alternative to a Merc battery would be one from a diesel 4 x 4, like a Shogun / Pajero or similar.

TECHY WARNING: What you are looking for is a high Amp / hour rate. This indicates the number of Amps the battery can produce in an hour. The higher the A/hr rate, the beefier that battery is, and so the longer it will last without charging.

D

Donkeymad

I expect you have done this, but it may be worth a close check that the fencing is not earthing anywhere. That can drain your battery in a flash. It does sadly sound as if your battery may be dying
frown.gif

perfect11s

Visit site
A leasure battery is best as said earlier they are made to charge and discharge more than car battery which starts the engine and is constanly recharged by the car.. the main thing thats important is not to let them run right down!! recharge before there flat if cash is tight you could beg a few used car bateries from your local garrage charge them and they should be ok for running your fence
wink.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, everyone.
Moke - no, my fence isn't shorting, I've checked (but a useful reminder).
NeilM - thanks for the techy and the bubbling bottom
wink.gif
info - I'll try to bear that in mind when I buy the next one.
Rabatsa - I can't carry a tractor battery and the field is a long way from the car parking area.
frown.gif

P11s and Gigglepig - I'll take care not to let them get completely flat, ta
laugh.gif

Thanks everyone. My horse seems to be recovering from her colic, too.
S
grin.gif

LCobby

Visit site
How long are you leaving it on the charger, and on boost or normal rate charge-
at least 12 hrs on normal rate if its really flat,
It the meter needle swinging over on the charger?