Car for Towing question (sorry!)

royal

Visit site
Hi,

So I'm looking at getting a 4x4 which I would want to use for towing. However, as I won't be doing it very often, I'd probably just be hiring a trailer for day use, soooo I won't know the trailer weight until I've booked one :-/

So anyway, the cars I've been looking at are all 2006/07:
Hyundai Tucson 2L CDX Petrol
Freelander TD4 2L Diesel
Nissan X-Trail 2.2L diesel
Kia Sportage CRDI 2L diesel

Which of these (if any) would be the best bet? Would only be towing one lightweight TB - 16.1 around 480-500kg and only on short journeys.

The Hyundai Tucson is the cheapest I've seen so am keen on that, but with it being a 2L petrol I'm just not sure if it would cope...I *think the towing capacity is 1600kg and the others are 1800kg.

Oh and I passed my test in 92.

Would appreciate any advice!

Trishh

Visit site
LOVE my Nissan Navara, although go for a 2006 and newer model, they are much better - had mine for 6 years with no problems, (touches wood), tows 2.5 tonnes, 40MPH fuel economy on motorways and the aventura has lots of lovely extras like full leather, sat nav, blue tooth, all electric

royal

Visit site
Sadly they are out of my price range, hence the list I have which are within it!

Thanks tho :)

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Watching with interest as thinking of changing my car to a 4x4 next year to pull a 14.2 and would be borrowing or hiring a trailer so in same boat as you. Have no idea what vehicles to go for

royal

Visit site
Its a difficult one mudmonkey...I don't want to spend more than about £4.5K, but it can't be older than 2006/7 and has to be under 100,000 miles so I'm limited.
As I'd be using it for an everyday car, I really don't want a gas guzzler either!
The list above are all within the right parameters...I just don't know which if any, will be suitable for occasional towing...

JillA

Visit site
I'm pondering replacing my Terrano because it is getting to that age, and am planning to test drive a SsangYong Rexton, up to 3t towing capacity. Anyone got one, what do you think of them? Hereabouts they are sold by the Land Rover & Subaru dealership so hopefully they are as tough and useful?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi,

So I'm looking at getting a 4x4 which I would want to use for towing. However, as I won't be doing it very often, I'd probably just be hiring a trailer for day use, soooo I won't know the trailer weight until I've booked one :-/

So anyway, the cars I've been looking at are all 2006/07:
Hyundai Tucson 2L CDX Petrol
Freelander TD4 2L Diesel
Nissan X-Trail 2.2L diesel
Kia Sportage CRDI 2L diesel

Which of these (if any) would be the best bet? Would only be towing one lightweight TB - 16.1 around 480-500kg and only on short journeys.

The Hyundai Tucson is the cheapest I've seen so am keen on that, but with it being a 2L petrol I'm just not sure if it would cope...I *think the towing capacity is 1600kg and the others are 1800kg.

Oh and I passed my test in 92.

Would appreciate any advice!
personally I would go for the Nissan Terrano over the x-trail

9tails

Visit site
Look at a Kia Sorento, I doubt it's any more expensive than those you're looking at and is up to the job of towing trailer plus 2. It also has pretty good fuel consumption. You may not think you'll take another but I can always find a companion for fun stuff. My friend bought a newer Hyundai Santa Fe and she is annoyed that she only has 2000kg towing capacity so is limited to going out alone.

Rhodders

Visit site
I had the Hyundai for towing with a lightweight trailer and 1 horse it was fine, any more than that and your pushing it legally

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
I had the Hyundai for towing with a lightweight trailer and 1 horse it was fine, any more than that and your pushing it legally
With a 1600 towing capacity you could tow a 500 horse in a 1000 empty trailer which has a 2500 MAM no problem on your BE licence

linperrie

Visit site
I'd get something that can tow 2000kg as otherwise you might be limited on what trailers you can hire once you've got all your stuff in. I have just spent about 3 months deciding on the perfect 4x4. My budget was 8k, wanted a 2000kg towing capacity but not too much on the gas. I have ended up with a 2009 Chevrolet captiva with 23k on the clock and loving it. It tows effortlessly, drives easy and was relatively cheap as we don't really do Chevrolet in the UK. But it's the same as the vauxhall antara, just cheaper! However I would have loved a sportage but was worried about the towing capacity. The freelanders are thought to be a bit lightweight so avoided them too. Was going to go for a x-trail but the Chevy won the battle on price. Also considered a jeep Cherokee as that fitted the bill but maybe not so cheap on fuel. Really wanted a Santa fe but they were expensive! Look out for the tax costs. Some over 2.5l seem to be near £500! Madness! So all final in your case I'd suggest an xtrail as these looked good to me but can get them for your budget. Well maybe in 2004/2005 model. Good luck......it's a nightmare!

siennamiller

Visit site
Presume you mean the kia sorento, not a sportage? You can't tow with the sportage, but the sorento is amazing, I love mine generally, but it is fab for towing, I almost forget she's there, have to keep checking trailer is still attached.
Plus they are so solid. We got hit from behind really hard about a month ago, and I am really suffering with whiplash, but the car only suffered a slightly bent towbar, and a sensor came out rendering the reversing sensor useless. Top car!

royal

Visit site
Hi Thanks all...

Rog - thanks for the info...no doesn't have to be a 4x4 but thought it would need to be for the towing capacity..

Siennamiller...no I meant the sportage, which Rog has confirmed would be fine as it has 1600kg capacity

Thanks everyone else for your comments, really appreciate everyones input...I'm also now looking at a SsangYong Kyron which has 2300kg capacity...

Can't get a Sorento for the money/age I'm after...the XTrail was a killer on insurance for some strange reason...

Would only want to tow 1 horse, so not a problem re; 2 horses...