Car sick dog

wispagold

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with dogs that are really car sick and do you have any tips that might help?

My mum had a 5 month old lab puppy who gets really car sick. She was hoping he would grow out of it but no luck so far. She has got him anti sickness tablets from the vets but these are very expensive, and although they do stop him being sick he is salivating a lot whilst travelling. He doesn't whine or pant but he looks really depressed and has started to not want to get in the car (unsurprisingly). He has now started drooling before the car even starts moving so part of it is psychological.

Thanks

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They normally grow out of it my JRT was sick everytime in a car as a puppy but as she got older she has never been car sick again, I would just limit car journeys while his so young 5 months is still young.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Feed him in the car stationary in the driveway (lift him in and out at this age as with any large breed prone to joint issues) and do short journeys round the block and back to create a positive association.
Drive carefully, no sudden braking, tight corners etc, take care on hilly or windy routes. No feeding for at least 90 minutes either side of travelling (I do that anyway with large/deep chested breeds).
What way does he travel? What make and model of car? In a dark/covered/secure crate in the most stable area of the car (boot or secured across back seats) is ideal.
Is he anxious generally as it can also be a flag for separation anxiety/general anxiety later on.

With my own puppy, she rode up front with me in a cat carrier (with the seatbelt around/door facing forward) for a couple of weeks, then same carrier went sideways in the passenger area/replaced by a bigger crate, now she is in one of the boxes in the boot (rear facing). Never a day sick, even on the two hours home the day I collected her. Also modified my driving for a while so she wouldn't be slamming into the sides etc.
Her father was insanely drooly (rode up front unsecured on passenger seat of a van before I had him then in a rear facing crate when I got him) he did grow out of it but he has always been crap at down stays, very fidgety and whiney/screamy, the first thing my trainer asked was, was he travel sick as a puppy!!

wispagold

Visit site
They normally grow out of it my JRT was sick everytime in a car as a puppy but as she got older she has never been car sick again, I would just limit car journeys while his so young 5 months is still young.

Thanks. She is still hoping he will grow out of it but where she lives is quite remote so he has to do some travelling. My mum is trying to limit travelling him as much as possible at the moment as it makes him so miserable. I get car sick so can sympathise with how he feels.

wispagold

Visit site
Feed him in the car stationary in the driveway (lift him in and out at this age as with any large breed prone to joint issues) and do short journeys round the block and back to create a positive association.
Drive carefully, no sudden braking, tight corners etc, take care on hilly or windy routes. No feeding for at least 90 minutes either side of travelling (I do that anyway with large/deep chested breeds).
What way does he travel? What make and model of car? In a dark/covered/secure crate in the most stable area of the car (boot or secured across back seats) is ideal.
Is he anxious generally as it can also be a flag for separation anxiety/general anxiety later on.

With my own puppy, she rode up front with me in a cat carrier (with the seatbelt around/door facing forward) for a couple of weeks, then same carrier went sideways in the passenger area/replaced by a bigger crate, now she is in one of the boxes in the boot (rear facing). Never a day sick, even on the two hours home the day I collected her. Also modified my driving for a while so she wouldn't be slamming into the sides etc.

Thank you!

He travels in either a skoda yeti or a Ford Ranger pick up... In a custom made dog cage in the back. He usually travels with my mums other lab, who is a good traveller. I haven't met him yet, due to covid so not sure on his general personality but will pass all your suggestions onto my mum.

I suggested she tried him in the front seat with the window open as that helps me!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Pup is still young and I expect he will soon grow out of it. Can car trips be arranged for times he hasn‘t had a recent meal? Can he look out the rear window or is he crated? He appears to be anticipating feeling wretched so perhaps car journeys could incorporate somewhere really fun for a while?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Thanks. She is still hoping he will grow out of it but where she lives is quite remote so he has to do some travelling. My mum is trying to limit travelling him as much as possible at the moment as it makes him so miserable. I get car sick so can sympathise with how he feels.

I know someone who's pup was dreadfully travel sick to the point that it was getting badly dehydrated. They live remotely/up a mountain with very windy roads. Owner had just put the pup in the back of the van from day one and was just driving like they normally did, once they took it a bit easier the pup was fine.

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
My last dog (some 20 years ago) used to get very car sick. Our then vet recommended a few drops of peppermint oil on his collar and to keep a window open. Worked a treat. We now use this with our current dog as he sometimes gets a little green around the gills on long drives and it does seem to help him somewhat.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had Lab who was 12 months old before she grew out of being travel sick. Her sister was never sick, except on the way home from the breeder. We had tablets from the vet, which sent her to sleep. It's over 50 yrs ago so I can't remember what they were but I am sure there will be more modern meds available now.
One of our Rottweilers couldn't even make it round the corner at first but she grew out of before she was 6 months old. We just did very short journeys with her and made sure that she enjoyed travelling to visit family.

misst

Visit site
My JRT was very sick as a pup and still becomes reluctant to get in the car. Windows open, careful driving, short journeys to fun places help as she now seems to be less reluctant. She recently was in the car for almost one hour without throwing up - she is 19 months now. I'm sure your little one will grow out of it but it is miserable for them when they are drooling and licking and then throwing up :-(

tiggipop

Visit site
i have a 6 month pup who is very travel sick. she used to be sick just going down the drive and i go very slow as it is bumpy bridlepath. we have done a few short trips 5 - 10 minutes to pup class and she could be sick both going and return journey but has "lasted" longer each time.

i asked the question on a lurcher site on monday and numerous people came back with "give a ginger biscuit before travelling" which i thought was an old wives tale but am willing to give it a go when the weather cools a bit.

one person also gave this link (product now purchased!) and this also contains ginger!
Travel tincture (allnaturalpet.co.uk)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The late JRT was terribly car sick, so much so that we didnt take him anywhere except for essential journeys.

One sunny day I covered up his travel cage (which was in the boot of an estate car) and bingo - not sick and he travelled brilliantly after that with his cage covered. He was 10 by then...

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
My sheltie is dreadfully travel sick which is unfortunate as I take them to the horses 3-4 times a week. (I used to live in Spain and hoped the 24 hour drive back to the Uk would kill or cure it) I’ve tried windows open, closed, air con on/off. Ginger biscuits, short journeys, pet rescue spray. Time fed made no difference Nothing seem to work and it got to the stage she was puking within 5 mins of being in the car, previously she would only puke on the way back, from going to the horses which is a 20 min drive. (estate so they are in the back)
So a few months back I did the “in and out the car and gave her a treat” but no journey. Then when I went to the field I would give her a sturgeon? travel sickness pill once I got there so it had 30 mins to take affect. And so far so good. I also found her worse if she lay down, she always sits and looks out the window on the way there. But would often lay down on the way back, some said having a bed in the car with a raised edge can help so their head is not flat on the floor.