Cardboard Bedding ?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
As a continuation of my COPD thread, my vet has recommended cardboard bedding. Has anyone used this ? Is it shredded ? I know I have zero chance of getting it in rural France, but I'm intrigued!

bluehorse

Visit site
I used ecobale when my horse cut his pastern very badly, i wanted something that wouldn’t stick in his wound. It’s chopped up into small squares. Have to says it’s the best bedding I’ve ever used, clean, absorbant and seemed to be completely dust free. I used it until I left the area and unfortunately I can’t get it where I live now. I’d highly recommend it, especially for breathing problems.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I use it for a horse I have to be careful with. No dust in stables, on her or her rugs and nothing on top of water buckets. I am very impressed with it and it certainly is ideal for thick winded horses.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I had one disgusting horse that ended up bedded on shredded paper which might be an alternative. Was sourced free from the office, just returned the big plastic bags and they were filled for recollection! Wasnt too bad to muck out either.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I'm intrigued that it actually works well. I've never used it or seen it in person though.

If you can't get cardboard/paper, flax straw might be a decent option. My allergic to dust horse does well on it and his former neighbor with COPD also managed well on it.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I'm intrigued that it actually works well. I've never used it or seen it in person though.

If you can't get cardboard/paper, flax straw might be a decent option. My allergic to dust horse does well on it and his former neighbor with COPD also managed well on it.

It needs to be a proper deep bed to work properly. A sprinkle will just result in a stinking wet mess.

BunnyDog

Visit site
So maybe not so super relevant since I am in the USA, but Cudo is bedded on Cardboard because he had a minor instance last fall and we did some testing and though not a slam dunk, it was felt if we treated him like he had allergies and removed all the dust in his life, things might improve. And they have.

He's on cardboard, get's soaked hay and gets 30 pills of Cetirizine a day. (Here's the NHS link to the drug: https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/cetirizine/) I understand that you all can only get pill bottles with 30 pills in them over the counter, but here we can buy MUCH bigger quantities and it's not expensive. I pay $13 for a bottle of 365 pills. He gets 900 pills a month at the current dose so roughly $31.50 a month in meds. And for shows he just comes off them a few days before. No big impact.

Em

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Thankyou so much everyone! I'm going to have to do some research to see if I can get a bulk delivery. Living in central rural France has its drawbacks !