cardiac arrhythmia

mals

Visit site
looking at a horse with this his heart is normal whilst competing/moving/excersing etc but whilst stable it slows down, i know its no0t a problem really, lucinda greens VILLAGE GOSSIP international eventer had it and no problem!

but has anyone had experiance with it , please tell!

kildalton

Visit site
I am a cardiology nurse, so most of my knowledge relates to humans. The most common arrhythmia is called atrial fibrillation, where the heart beats rapidly and irregularly and sometimes can cause problems. Is it an arrhythmia or a murmur?

mals

Visit site
not a murmur just when he is still stationary his beat slows down to a slower rate than normak but ok when ridden!

smokeybabes

Visit site
There are many types of arrthymias and it depends on whether they are fast or slow and regular or irregular.
Generally an arrythymia at rest that disappears during exercise will cause no problems, problems ocur when it is the other way round - ie nothing present at rest but arrthymia present during exercise.
A general slow heart beat is called bradycardia, but exact name of arrythmia would depend if irregular or regular.
Are you concerned about a specific horse or just wanna know generally?

star

Visit site
could be AV block - many horses have this and it disappears with exercise. doesn't usually cause a problem. it's just due to excessive vagal tone in fit horses.