Career as a Barefoot Trimmer

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
Interested to hear people opinions on a career as a Barefoot Trimmer, primarily if it is possible to earn a living?

I'm fed up of the Corporate Office culture and have never agreed with the 'Sales' ethos of certain Companies I work with and desperately need a change and feel like this could be exactly what I need.

Thanks in advance :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Having known a few become fully qualified trimmers and never looked back I would say go for it. Have you spoken to EPAUK? That is the training body you will train with (the only LANTRA approved course). It's quite a long course!

It's something I consider doing one day!

Scarlett

Visit site
Interested to hear people opinions on a career as a Barefoot Trimmer, primarily if it is possible to earn a living?

I'm fed up of the Corporate Office culture and have never agreed with the 'Sales' ethos of certain Companies I work with and desperately need a change and feel like this could be exactly what I need.

Thanks in advance :)

All the trimmers I know are busy - I struggle to get booked in with anyone in Surrey! I know that doesn't mean they are making a living but there is clearly work out there....

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
This is a great idea, I've just looked at their website and really keen to start the course! Probably too late for this year's intake :(

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I saw my previous trimmer at blenheim this week, she is manic with horses currently even with her daughter also on board. She started doing it part time alongside her other job (which was when I used her)

spookypony

Visit site
The trimmers up here are worked off their feet, can afford to be somewhat choosy with clients. If you're physically up for it, why not? Worth considering where you will draw your limits, in terms of what horses you are willing to handle.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Not something I’m particularly interested in but did wonder (I’ve not looked at the link) how the course works?
Surely for something like this you need practical learning, an apprenticeship or something?

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
You appear to be able to charge what the hell you like! It's about £80 around me. Not that have ever nor will ever use a barefoot trimmer.

Blimey! Where on earth are you? That's ridiculous. It's as much as shoes. It's £35 with mine in Cheshire (not that I use one anymore).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You appear to be able to charge what the hell you like! It's about £80 around me. Not that have ever nor will ever use a barefoot trimmer.

same here they have crippled a few from what I have heard, my farrier charges me £20 for a trim and he does a great job by just tidying the foot rather than trimming it right back so its not something I will ever be looking into using.

Scarlett

Visit site
same here they have crippled a few from what I have heard, my farrier charges me £20 for a trim and he does a great job by just tidying the foot rather than trimming it right back so its not something I will ever be looking into using.

And yet my horses were lamed by a farrier and have come sound and stayed sound (all Tbs who do work) whilst being trimmed by 3 different trimmers.

There are many of us out there who would rather the support of a trimmer than a farrier whilst managing horses in work without shoes.

DD

Visit site
yes go for it. there is a shortage of bf trimmers. my horses have been doing brilliantly since they have been bf and I never want to go back to shoes. my friend is a bf trimmer and I have learned so much from her. its definitely different to a usual farrier trim. lots of farriers are good, I hasten to add, but over the years I've had very poor ones but that's a discussion for another thread.

Last edited:
Visit site
And yet my horses were lamed by a farrier and have come sound and stayed sound (all Tbs who do work) whilst being trimmed by 3 different trimmers.

There are many of us out there who would rather the support of a trimmer than a farrier whilst managing horses in work without shoes.

It's about finding the individual that's right for yourself and your horse and to an extent it doesn't matter what they call themselves or who they trained with if they produce sound happy horses and owners (does it?)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

there are trimmers and there are trimmers-a good trimmer does the bare minimum. I had a farrier lame two ponies for over a week because he was in too much of a hurry.

OP if you want to do it, do it-don't underestimate the effect on your back though.

Last edited:

pennyturner

Visit site
Just a word of warning. I trim all of my own, and it's back-breaking. I'm physically robust, but I would think twice about doing it as a day job.

ester

Visit site
Another who would agree, I am sure that sometimes my technique doesn't help but I would want to be doing some trimming before deciding to do it full time. (and I use a hoof jack and a very well behaved horse :p)

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com

Well I'm very glad for you that you are happy with your farrier, but not all of us have been so lucky. I had a great farrier when I first took my cob's shoes off, but was never able to replace him when I moved and quickly went through 3 farriers who either lamed him or beat him so I ended up using a (great) trimmer.

"they have crippled a few from what I have heard [..] so its not something I will ever be looking into using" - great quality of argument there - good to know you keep an open mind, don't rely on hearsay and don't deal in sterotypes.

tallyho!

Visit site
I’ve heard the term “trim fit” :D

If you’re trimming your own once every four weeks or whatever then your back will hurt. Your body conditions your back gets stronger. Ask anyone who trims including the farriers!

ester

Visit site
lol, it does depend though, I have pre-existing issues so that although I can squat 60kg and deadlift more other stuff can be surprisingly problematic. To trim pro would without doubt cost me the same again in physio! :D

tallyho!

Visit site
lol, it does depend though, I have pre-existing issues so that although I can squat 60kg and deadlift more other stuff can be surprisingly problematic. To trim pro would without doubt cost me the same again in physio! :D

Unless you’ve done it how would you even know for sure? My old farrier was 71 and still trimmed 8/9 horses a day. He was still working wincanton racecourse at 66. Never deadlifted in his life I shouldn’t think. If he did bet he’d do himself an injury.