Careers after working with horses

Silmarillion

Visit site
I only worked with horses for a few years, but I have a horsey degree. I now work in the banking team in a pension company. I'm not sure how horses led me to that, really.

Equinus

Visit site
After 20 years went into business with Mum, catering, then was a house sitter for years and then catering again. Last job was home shopper in major supermarket. Now ansolutely physically knackered and living off the land in Bulgaria! Missing having a horse but not when under feet of snow with daytime temperatures are -16.

ridefast

Visit site
Um at the moment, part time office cleaning, the odd bit of baby sitting, house sitting/dog walking, and teaching 2 little boys to ride, mucking out one morning a week and sitting up with pregnant mares. So not completely horse free. I have previously worked as trainee manager in a pet shop (no pets) it was quite fun

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Producing, backing & schooling (own yard) for well over 20 years.

Now for last 10yrs (after the foot & mouth close-down made me discover another life!) > admin Mon-Fri in local company > PA in national co rising to FD's PA > currently 3 days a week with local company.
Org skills from running yard still come into play tho ;)
Still got own yard, still find it peaceful & still an eye opener just going in to do 2 every day, instead of 8 or more :)

Its still a great feeling after all this time, to be paid for holidays! :cool3:

*Nik*

Visit site
I now work in admin for a pensions company. Love the fact that its 8-4, 5 days a week and I am staying ncie and dry in this horrid weather!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Still have horses after 30+ years of working as a pro trainer/rider and running a stud farm, but "day job" is now working in film/TV and historical demos and making reproduction items for museums, etc. Horses are a part of our business, but not the main earner. Would never go back to horses full time now (too old and crocked); there is a whole big world outside!

vickyb

Visit site
I owned ponies from age 8, worked with horses from 17 -24, then joined the police. I loved working with horses, and would have continued but the wages were so poor I could never have had an independent life away from the family home. Shift work fits pretty well around horses. I had my own and still helped out on occasions at yards where I used to work. I always used to go riding at the end of a night shift at 7am. My colleagues thought it was hilarious me leaving a London police station in jods and boots to go straight to the stables. Wish I had the energy now that I had then.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I'm currently in the process of escaping racing and going back to uni..

Slightly terrified to be doing so at 25 but I think if I don't do it now it will be too late!

I'm 31 and still trying to escape, currently retraining to be an NVQ assessor hoping that I can get a full time job that will pay as much as my stud job does so I can leave working on the yards. I need to be earning well over £20k as renting with a horse and dog in tow and being single so no one to help on bills etc is going to be hard.

*sprinkles*

Visit site
I worked with horses for five years. Had to stop due to injury. Now I'm a nurse. TBH I love enjoying my horses for fun these days - I've learned to appreciate them more for the people they are. The horse industry can be very cut-throat.