Careers and horses

Alibear

Visit site
I'm with @splashgirl45 on this one. I wanted to go to BRS, but my parents wouldn't sign off on it, as no money and no career etc.
I'm now nearly 50 with a good corporate career behind me, but I can't imagine how many hours of my life I've spent wishing I could spend more time with the horses, and I never can earn enough to do everything I want to do with them outside of work. (4 horses currently only 1 in work). A few years ago I sat a slight bucking incident really easily but still threw my back out! I mean, come on, I stayed on but still got hurt? Reality hit that I've missed my chance. So if you're interested now, give it a go whilst you can.

j1ffy

Visit site
When I was at school I desperately wanted to become a riding instructor. However I was (lucky to be?) academic and exams weren't an issue, so people always told me it would be a waste. I guess it sunk in but I had no idea what else I wanted to do - all my school then Uni then career choices were based on keeping my options open.

I fell into management consulting, which is thankfully well paid and I have a horse (actually multiple horses) and don't worry about paying bills. My 20s were a write-off however as I was based in central London, worked very long days and weekends and couldn't have afforded to ride near where I lived. Now I run my own business so, in theory, I can make time to ride but it gets complicated with client and employee demands! However I'm building up a good pension pot and savings, and hope to retire early enough to still realise my pipe dream of riding a GP...

j1ffy

Visit site
Re the squiggly careers, I think that as long as you do something to the best of your abilities you'll do well and changing career won't matter. I know someone who went to Paris (without speaking French!) to train as a pastry chef aged 17. She was very good and did that for a couple of years when she got back, then went to Uni to study a traditional subject but didn't enjoy it, so switched to Thoroughbred Management, rode out for a couple of years and is now an Assistant Trainer in her late 20s. Despite a few kinks in her career journey she's thrown herself into whatever she's doing, learns as much as she can from those around her and works her backside off. What an inspiration!

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs, but an old colleague of mine has been doing some podcasts on what it means to behave 'professionally' - aimed at people who are just starting out in their careers. They're really interesting and well done, might be worth a listen: https://www.buzzsprout.com/2107434

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?
To picture the scene, I'm currently 17 doing Animal Management in college and I don't enjoy it one bit unfortunately, I'm just not interested and don't have any interest in doing a higher level qualification within the sector.

I did have a 'magic sparks' moment and that was when I fell in love with horse racing sector after finding a job online in that area and would like to attend the BRS (Advised by the person who was advertising the role after I contacted them) maybe after the college year. So far, I have thrown myself into twitter to "network" and surprisingly, it has worked well and I speak to racing people of all kinds of roles on the regular in a variety of roles and who I can go to if I have a question regarding the careers, how things work and how it works ect. Issue is though, I don't know if I want to pursue a career in it or with horses at all and if I just want to enjoy horse ownership instead rather than worry about other horses (I hope that doesn't sound rude.. and no, no one has put me off! It's just me having a real hard time knowing what I want to do in life)

I was wondering if anyone may of had this before of working with horses to a non horsey job or had considered doing an equine job but decided differently as a way to fund their hobbies? How did you choose it exactly.. I really don't know what I want to do for myself. Was this a long thought process for you or did you have a plan in mind? Or even found yourself dabbling in all sorts of workplaces?

Thank you so much. I really wouldn't come to places like this for career stuff but maybe someone has done the same - I don't doubt it. Unfortunately there is alot of pressure to know exactly what you want to do.. I feel im the only one who is clueless and frankly college classmates think its odd I still don't have a clue lol!
I hate that 17 year olds are being asked to determine the path of the rest of their lives. I remember that feeling well. What you don't realize at that age is that you have your entire life ahead of you and things are going to change. A lot. What you want now may be very different from what you want at age 30....or 45.

As a 17 year old, I was convinced I wanted to work with horses professionally full-time. I had a lot of experience riding, competing, doing yard work, managing yards by the age of 17/18...so I went to university with a unique and well-regarded equine business management program. I graduated four years later with a business management degree, with equine anatomy/physiology, training philosophies, disease/injury, etc etc etc all tagged on. I got burned out on horses in my second year at uni and ended up finishing the degree anyway, but knew I no longer wanted to work in horses full time. I was aiming for a journalism or marketing career, where I could afford to ride for fun. I ended up getting hired to run a private stud and rode/trained professionally for four years out of school.

While I was enormously grateful for the experience, and had several job offers on the table to ride/train for other farms, I walked away from horses feeling totally burned out. I worked six days per week (often seven days due to staff shortages, sick horses, competitions/hunts, etc) for comparatively minimal pay, and terrible benefits. I got hurt quite badly a couple of times and didn't have the time to fully heal before I had to be back on horses and doing the job. I didn't have any time or any money for a horse of my own. Even if I had, I know that later on, I had no desire to spend my precious little free time on a horse of my own...so I didn't get one. I took direction from yard owners as I could not afford a yard of my own, which meant I could not make the training decisions I wanted to make according to my own training philosophy. I couldn't take the time and truly develop horses the way I wanted to. Paying clients drove the training timeline, and my boss enforced that timeline in order to make ends meet financially for the farm.

I got to ride some truly world class (Olympic medalist!) horses in the most beautiful horse country in the US. I made lifelong friends. I do not regret taking that job, and I know I was "good enough" to make a living in horses if I really wanted it. But I didn't. I loved horses then like I love horses now. But I hate the horse business. I hate the horse business because at the end of the day, it isn't about horses. It's about people. If you don't like working with people, you will have a hard time in the horse business.

After taking two full YEARS away from horses (like...not even going to a yard!), I eventually took a military commission and as an officer was able to afford a horse of my own, and had enough time in my (still busy, but much more manageable) schedule to train my own horses up myself. I could afford lessons with top trainers. I could afford to give my horses the best life possible. They became my passion and my escape, and for me, that's where they belong.

I hope you find a path that works for you. Just keep in mind that the horse business is hard and if you get into it and don't like it, don't be afraid to change and try something new. Life never stays the same for long. Good luck to you and I wish you all the best.

Last edited:

toppedoff

Visit site
This morning, my tutor sets this as a task 🙆‍♀️ what better timing lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230320-134003_Canvas Student.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320-134003_Canvas Student.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 89

toppedoff

Visit site
I hate that 17 year olds are being asked to determine the path of the rest of their lives. I remember that feeling well. What you don't realize at that age is that you have your entire life ahead of you and things are going to change. A lot. What you want now may be very different from what you want at age 30....or 45.

As a 17 year old, I was convinced I wanted to work with horses professionally full-time. I had a lot of experience riding, doing yard work, managing yards by the age of 17/18...so I went to university with a unique and well-regarded equine business management program. I graduated four years later with a business management degree, with equine anatomy/physiology, training philosophies, disease/injury, etc etc etc all tagged on. I got burned out on horses in my second year at uni and ended up finishing the degree anyway, but knew I no longer wanted to work in horses full time. I was aiming for a journalism or marketing career, where I could afford to ride for fun. I ended up getting hired to run a private stud and rode/trained professionally for four years out of school.

While I was enormously grateful for the experience, and had several job offers on the table to ride/train for other farms, I walked away from horses feeling totally burned out. I worked six days per week (often seven days due to staff shortages, sick horses, competitions/hunts, etc) for comparatively minimal pay, and terrible benefits. I got hurt quite badly a couple of times and didn't have the time to fully heal before I had to be back on horses and doing the job. I didn't have any time or any money for a horse of my own. Even if I had, I know that later on, I had no desire to spend my precious little free time on a horse of my own...so I didn't get one. I took direction from yard owners as I could not afford a yard of my own, which meant I could not make the training decisions I wanted to make according to my own training philosophy. I couldn't take the time and truly develop horses the way I wanted to. Paying clients drove the training timeline, and my boss enforced that timeline in order to make ends meet financially for the farm.

I got to ride some truly world class (Olympic medalist!) horses in the most beautiful horse country in the US. I made lifelong friends. I do not regret taking that job, and I know I was "good enough" to make a living in horses if I really wanted it. But I didn't. I loved horses then like I love horses now. But I hate the horse business. I hate the horse business because at the end of the day, it isn't about horses. It's about people. If you don't like working with people, you will have a hard time in the horse business.

I eventually took a military commission and as an officer was able to afford a horse of my own, and had enough time in my (still busy, but much more manageable) schedule to train my own horses up myself. I could afford lessons with top trainers. I could afford to give my horses the best life possible. They became my passion and my escape, and for me, that's where they belong.

I hope you find a path that works for you. Just keep in mind that the horse business is hard and if you get into it and don't like it, don't be afraid to change and try something new. Life never stays the same for long. Good luck to you and I wish you all the best.

Thank you so much, I have been thinking for a while now on what to do. People just seem to expect me us to know what our life plan is right away it is wild. I really hope that sort of stigma drops soon.

Thank you so much, it is interesting to read these on how people have managed over the years

Thank you again!

Bobthecob15

Visit site
As someone who works at a university running a course I would say don't continue on a programme you don't enjoy! You will be getting yourself into debt for something you are not interested in doing...not to mention the emotional and psychological stress of doing something you have no interest in. We see too many students doing courses they are just not interested in, sometimes pushed into courses by parents, sometimes for lack of a better idea. 17 is far too young to have a grand plan for your career, please don't worry! University/college is not for everyone and I do feel people are pushed into it sometimes by the system!

We have programme advisors at our uni who you can talk to if you are considering stopping study, they can look at what you have done so far and discuss with them alternative courses or stopping altogether. Is there anyone you can talk to there?

No point getting yourself into thousands of pounds of debt just because, I did that myself and really wouldn't recommend it! I ended up going to uni for a second time (career change) so paid for 2 degrees 🤪 it's hard at your age to know what you want to be doing in 10yrs time so I would advise taking a break and see what comes. I'm definitely an advocate for non horsey careers to support the cost of having horses!

Ahrena

Visit site
I didn’t go go uni and worked with horses for 7 years.
I was freelance so it gave me the time and flexibility for my own horses so I loved it for a long time. Eventually I got fed up, mine became a chore and I was always tired. I now have a non-horsey career.
I much prefer it and enjoy my own horses much more. Although I miss the flexibility of being my own boss!

dottylottie

Visit site
from someone who’s 21 and still figuring it out…

i did a year of a levels and hated it, so i did a 1 year course in equine management and got the level 3 so i could still go to uni and get a psychology degree at the “normal” age, but did a foundation year (useless, and discovered i didn’t even need to). i was all set to move to london from the NW, and changed my mind at the last minute to live at home and commute to uni because i wanted a horse and a car. i had a few different hospitality jobs in the mean time, all of which i didn’t really enjoy but it was necessary to not be totally skint! i’m now a year away from getting my degree, i have the car and the horse, and i work in social care doing the kind of job i never ever thought was for me, on more money than i’d be on if i left for an entry level psychology “career” with less hours. i don’t love my job, but i don’t dread going to work and the money is enough to keep lily in stud muffins and flora in petrol😂 once i get my degree, im planning on getting my masters in equine science because i’m passionate about it, and i’ve lost all love for psychology. even if i never use it for a job with horses, i’ll still enjoy it and having a masters in something irrelevant is better than no masters lol.

my advice would be to pursue what you enjoy at the time, because you can always reroute. i don’t remotely enjoy psychology anymore, but equally i still don’t want a career working with the horses themselves because i’ll lose all love for my own. ideally, i’d go for an office type job that still involves horses, or a research based role in something like nutrition. i think i’m proof that you can chop and change to your hearts content, and still make enough to do the things you want to do!

ApolloStorm

Visit site
I’m getting scarily close to 30 and still don’t know what I want to do! At GCSE age I wanted to work with horses, do my BHS exams. After being told I was “ too academic” for that and my parents did at least talk me round to doing some decent A levels, I still didn’t know what I wanted to do for a job. I tried one degree - did a term and dropped out! Moved back home and worked in a few different shops to just make a few pennies. Then ended up going back to uni and managed to stick with it this time, had a few horsey weekend jobs while at uni, ended up working FT at a well known Pizza chain. I HATED it but at this point I had horses to pay for so couldn’t down tools.
Ended up working in an area related to my degree, realised it 100% wasn’t the job for me. Ended up in a very bad place mentally and getting sacked from that job. Having to scramble to find work, and worked on a yard for a short time before working in an office for an equestrian retailer, which was great and I actually loved it, but there was no progression after 12 months I was at the top of the game with no chance of a payrise! So I moved onto where I am now doing accountancy in the public sector which is fine, it’s easy enough work, and I get WFH and flexi. Along with some professional exams paid for! Im not as set on loving my job like I used to think I should - so long as I am getting the work life balance and accommodations I need then I can accept just having passion for a hobby!
as an aside my parents are in their 60s, retired and still don’t know what they want to do 😂

toppedoff

Visit site
As someone who works at a university running a course I would say don't continue on a programme you don't enjoy! You will be getting yourself into debt for something you are not interested in doing...not to mention the emotional and psychological stress of doing something you have no interest in. We see too many students doing courses they are just not interested in, sometimes pushed into courses by parents, sometimes for lack of a better idea. 17 is far too young to have a grand plan for your career, please don't worry! University/college is not for everyone and I do feel people are pushed into it sometimes by the system!

We have programme advisors at our uni who you can talk to if you are considering stopping study, they can look at what you have done so far and discuss with them alternative courses or stopping altogether. Is there anyone you can talk to there?

No point getting yourself into thousands of pounds of debt just because, I did that myself and really wouldn't recommend it! I ended up going to uni for a second time (career change) so paid for 2 degrees 🤪 it's hard at your age to know what you want to be doing in 10yrs time so I would advise taking a break and see what comes. I'm definitely an advocate for non horsey careers to support the cost of having horses!

Thank you, I have spoken to a careers advisor and was told I was being too picky ?? There wasn't much progression in that convo so I thought to ask people who may of had the same situation of horses and their choices in work 🤣

I am thinking of dropping out, I am getting really burned out and it isn't worth stressing over but I'm not entirely sure

AntiPuck

Visit site
I’d echo the advice that you’re still very young and you’ll probably need to be working until you’re about 70 as the retirement age keeps going up.

No job advice from me that hasn't already been said - but please don't let yourself be forced into this scenario above, do start paying into a private pension as soon as it is possible to do so (once you earn over a certain amount you will be auto-enrolled into one via your employer, but you can open a SIPP account yourself, regardless). You don't have to and shouldn't let your retirement age be dictated by the state pension (and please don't assume it will still be around by the time you get to that age, either!).

A little bit of time spent learning about pensions, tax releif, employer contrbution matching etc. now, whilst not the most exciting topic, will make an indescribable impact on your quality of life later. Time spent learning about ISAs, investments, and compounding now can improve your life pre-retirement too, and would be the way to allow yourself to retire 'early'. It's fine not to know anything about this stuff now, but it's not fine to wilfully stay that way. There are excellent podcasts out there now for learning about this in an accessible way.

toppedoff

Visit site
No job advice from me that hasn't already been said - but please don't let yourself be forced into this scenario above, do start paying into a private pension as soon as it is possible to do so (once you earn over a certain amount you will be auto-enrolled into one via your employer, but you can open a SIPP account yourself, regardless). You don't have to and shouldn't let your retirement age be dictated by the state pension (and please don't assume it will still be around by the time you get to that age, either!).

A little bit of time spent learning about pensions, tax releif, employer contrbution matching etc. now, whilst not the most exciting topic, will make an indescribable impact on your quality of life later. Time spent learning about ISAs, investments, and compounding now can improve your life pre-retirement too, and would be the way to allow yourself to retire 'early'. It's fine not to know anything about this stuff now, but it's not fine to wilfully stay that way. There are excellent podcasts out there now for learning about this in an accessible way.
Thank you so much, I will take this on board and have a look at this 😊

Kaylum

Visit site
Do what you want to do. Don't be swayed by anyone else. I started with horses as a RI and went onto breeding. Did my time with horses learnt a lot still learning everyday. Now work in IT. Do what you want and learn what life is about. You can retrain at any time of your life never forget that. Live your dream find your happy place.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I wanted to be a professional rider but also i liked a nice quality of life so I went to uni and studied medicine. I knew this career would give me a decent quality of life. But it meant I didn’t have the time to commit properly to my riding career… so i retired in my early 40s and have been lucky enough with my life to be able to now be developing a large equine business which links both my passions — its not a conventional thing to do but does show that with money comes options and not many people have a lot of money in the horse industry but also that what you decide to do at 17 isn’t permanent. You can have more than one career. I would caviat however that if you are not passionate about working with horses then dont do it — the hours are long, the work is physical and hard and the pay is pretty crap… its cold wet and muddy most of the year and if its not what you really want to do that will get old very quickly

gallopingby

Visit site
If you haven’t long to go on your current course it’s worth hanging in to the end, a couple of months maybe? You’ll then be able to show you’ve already acquired a few brownie points and this will be good for employers to see in the future, if you want to try the BRS you have nothing to loose, it’s a free course, you should learn loads which will be useful either as a start up for a job or sith your own horses. I once had a girl working for me who had done the course and her stable management was exceptional. Go have fun and enjoy yourself but stick with whatever you start until you complete it and then if need be move onto the next challenge. The important things to show an employer are reliability, a good work ethic, sense of humour and adaptability. The main choices are either finding a job that enables you to fund your horses as a hobby or working with them and being cold, wet and muddy most of the year. I would go for the job which pays you enough to have fun.

Last edited:

toppedoff

Visit site
Unsure if anyone is following this thread, I'm going to do a business or marketing course (While still doing groom work just to get more experience) for next year, after that I'll do the BRS foundation as I'd like to do that still and see what I'll do from there.
I want to own a pony or two and there's no way a groom job could offer me that opportunity
Thank you so much all 💓

Visit site
Unsure if anyone is following this thread, I'm going to do a business or marketing course (While still doing groom work just to get more experience) for next year, after that I'll do the BRS foundation as I'd like to do that still and see what I'll do from there.
I want to own a pony or two and there's no way a groom job could offer me that opportunity
Thank you so much all 💓

I never noticed this thread first time around.

I have worked in racing for 19 years. I never went to the racing school (didn't have to then). I quit school and was told to either get a job or go back to school. So I got a job.

It's long, unsociable hours. 1 day off a week. Hard graft. But you do get to work with some truly amazing horses.

Do I regret it? No. Not for one second. What I DO regret though is not getting my proper education first. I didn't want to be in racing this long. I don't want to be in racing any more really either. But I don't have a choice right now. I have tried to change jobs but my CV basically reads - played ponies for 19 years. People don't look beyond that and see all of the transferable skills I have gained over the years.

Stick with education and keep horses as a hobby.

toppedoff

Visit site
I never noticed this thread first time around.

I have worked in racing for 19 years. I never went to the racing school (didn't have to then). I quit school and was told to either get a job or go back to school. So I got a job.

It's long, unsociable hours. 1 day off a week. Hard graft. But you do get to work with some truly amazing horses.

Do I regret it? No. Not for one second. What I DO regret though is not getting my proper education first. I didn't want to be in racing this long. I don't want to be in racing any more really either. But I don't have a choice right now. I have tried to change jobs but my CV basically reads - played ponies for 19 years. People don't look beyond that and see all of the transferable skills I have gained over the years.

Stick with education and keep horses as a hobby.

Thank you, I didn't realise you worked in racing! I'm probably going to work in racing for a few years, nothing to grow towards but more for just that fun young people experience I do admire the work that goes into racehorses and it's quite an interesting side to the equine industry

Visit site
Thank you, I didn't realise you worked in racing! I'm probably going to work in racing for a few years, nothing to grow towards but more for just that fun young people experience I do admire the work that goes into racehorses and it's quite an interesting side to the equine industry

It depends if you want to work in flat racing or jumps racing. Flat is relentless all year round now with beach donkey Derby racing but if you chance upon looking after the right horse you could travel the world with it.

Jumps racing really is for the love of it.

toppedoff

Visit site
It depends if you want to work in flat racing or jumps racing. Flat is relentless all year round now with beach donkey Derby racing but if you chance upon looking after the right horse you could travel the world with it.

Jumps racing really is for the love of it.
I'm not really sure what sort of race, I'm only 7st so I feel I am destined for the flat 😂 as I've heard jumps want you more heavier but I'm not sure if that just applies to jockeys or not. What sort of role do you do?

Visit site
I'm not really sure what sort of race, I'm only 7st so I feel I am destined for the flat 😂 as I've heard jumps want you more heavier but I'm not sure if that just applies to jockeys or not. What sort of role do you do?

Weight only makes a difference on young flat horses where you want lightweight people.

I do a bit of everything. I work in jump racing bit I ride out, clip 99% of the yard, go racing, manage the yards when needed. Basically there's nothing I can't do in the yard by now. Oh I don't jump though 😂 not really 😂 nothing to say I can't, the boss is happy to let people jump sensible horses if they want to I just don't want to 😂

toppedoff

Visit site
Weight only makes a difference on young flat horses where you want lightweight people.

I do a bit of everything. I work in jump racing bit I ride out, clip 99% of the yard, go racing, manage the yards when needed. Basically there's nothing I can't do in the yard by now. Oh I don't jump though 😂 not really 😂 nothing to say I can't, the boss is happy to let people jump sensible horses if they want to I just don't want to 😂
Lol fair enough 😂😂😂 sounds very tough!

Most Curious

Visit site
Do you know anyone in the horse racing industry, friend or family that can help give you a step on the ladder ?
Have you tried applying for an apprentice horse grooming job ?

When your 17 it's very important to receive helpful guidance career wise.
What other subjects do you excel at other that. chemistry, mathematics, English etc. ?
Why not train to be an ambulance paramedic ? An exciting job where your not stuck behind a desk.
No day is ever the same. You get to meet lots of people. Good rate of pay with a decent pension.

toppedoff

Visit site
lstuck
Do you know anyone in the horse racing industry, friend or family that can help give you a step on the ladder ?
Have you tried applying for an apprentice horse grooming job ?

When your 17 it's very important to receive helpful guidance career wise.
What other subjects do you excel at other that. chemistry, mathematics, English etc. ?
Why not train to be an ambulance paramedic ? An exciting job where your not stuck behind a desk.
No day is ever the same. You get to meet lots of people. Good rate of pay with a decent pension.

I got somewhat of a connection to racing, I am on twitter to keep up with equestrian news and racing news and have made it known I am interested in racing and have a few yards follow me, nothing personal, but I go to them if I have any questions.

In terms of subjects, I am quite good at English... not good at anything else lol

I'm not sure if I would do a well as a paramedic I am quite sensitive, I think I'd get too overwhelmed 😂 but thank you for your suggestion

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Just to throw into the mix it's never too late to retrain!! I'm in my early 40s and am about to go back to uni to do my veterinary physio qualification, I always wanted to do it after I'd done my human physio course but life, kids, family circumstances got in the way...so here I am 20 odd years later finally getting round to the horsey job I always wanted 😂