Caring for a Cremello

Orthe's Daystars

Visit site
Hi there

Just found the boy of my dreams:D However his pink skin & blue eyes are in need of some protection now (finally) we have something approaching summer.

Have invested in a heavy duty anti UV & fly mask which covers all his muzzell and which has a seam to lift the fabric away from each eye. So far he seems very contented in it - without it he is squinting which is horrid for him. Husband says as he came from Ireland where it rains 24/7 he won't be used to the sun.:(

Also equipped with good bug rug as last owner warned of sheath & belly being attacked by every biting fly around.:eek:

Can anyone recommend a mask that I can ride in that will keep out UV & bugs but that he will be able to judge take-off points & other important distances!!!!

We would both be glad of any suggestions & I would also love to make contact with other Cremello fans.

Lolo

Visit site
When we had Al's littl cremello, he was actually ok in the sun. He went out in a good fly rug which blocked UV rays (I think) and normal fly mask, with suncream over any exposed skin. For riding, we used whatever flyspray we bought for that week and applied liberally!

We didn't do anything special though, and he stormed through the summer with no ill-effects :)

frozzy

Visit site
I bought a mask with eye and ear protection for my little welsh perlino. She has never needed it. She never burns or shows any sign of being bothered in the sun.

Joyous70

Visit site
Im a neglectful Cremello owner, my boy is 26 now, hates having cream put on his nose, so goes without, If i do put it on he wipes it off on the grass :rolleyes: he doesn't have a fly rug or even any fly spray - the flies don't seem to bother him much at all really.

Wheels

Visit site
Lol at rains 24/7 in Ireland.... I'm sure as long as the pony is more than a few days old then he will have seen sun before

cob&onion

Visit site
My cob inst a cremello, however she does have the pink skin around eyes and muzzle and yes the flies really bother her, they tend to collect under her belly and round her teats and the inside of her hind legs. I use a good fly spray for these areas. She does suffer from weepy eyes and gets sun burnt very easily. She hates cream anywhere near her face so instead i use one of these fly masks.
It has the nose shield and protects from flies which can make her weepy eyes worse.
This one tends to stay on better than other makes too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIRES-FU...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item33814b0802

Orthe's Daystars

Visit site
Thanks guys for the advice - so far he's doing really well with just his full face mask + coming in for the hottest part of the day. Any more hints please keep them coming:)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I don't have a Cremello but do have a pink blagdon who has pink skin on her nose and around her eyes and find that Sudocream is the best thing for stopping her from getting burnt.