Caring for a long mane

Zoemary

Visit site
Hey guys winters fast approaching and I was just wondering what everyone does to maintain a healthy and long mane. My mare has a long mane and whenever I bring her in throughout winter it's always very knotted and very messy!

I have been advised to try products such as snuggy hoods which cover the mane during turnout but have no experience using these and no idea as to whether it rubs the mane out? Also any products i could put on her mane to help with growth an strength would be much appreciated, let me know what you all do! :smile:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 15

thenervouscob

Visit site
Mine has a long mane & is fully clipped out with full neck rugs over winter. I brush it daily, use detangler through it & also spray the inside of the neck on the rug. Keeps it lovely & shiny, un-knotted & never rubs out.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I occasionally brush some detangler through it but actually just as I am about to despair at all the wind-tangles, it seems to detangle itself. She hates neckrugs but her mane is very long and thick!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have Spanish horses with various amounts of long hair. I hardly ever brush fully, never use detangler, and wash manes about once a month, tails less frequently. I do finger pick through any tangles that form. I've never used a rug with a neck.

P.S. Most detangling sprays contain silicone which will make hair brittle.

HBB

Visit site
I mostly do the same as Cortez: rarely brush fully, loosen tangles by hand, wash manes once a month, never use hoods or necks but I do apply Sweet Almond oil 2 -3 times a week to mane and tail.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m even worse and rarely do more than loosen knots by hand. My cob’s mane is over two foot long. I used to keep it plaited in a running plait through the winter, re-doing when it started to look scruffy so If you want to do something I’d say that’s the best way of keeping it knot free. Linseed is great for mane growth but I wouldn’t use a hood for fear of it rubbing.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
I’be heard good things about an Argan oil spray, haven’t yet tried it. My Highland’s just doesn’t seem to grow ☹️ especially his forelock!

Zoemary

Visit site
I’be heard good things about an Argan oil spray, haven’t yet tried it. My Highland’s just doesn’t seem to grow ☹️ especially his forelock!

We have a highland hers barely grows either! I've had a few people mention coconut oil, linseed and argan as you said.. Ill have to have a look

Seville

Visit site
I'm with Cortez. I have a PRE, and he is grey. He has lots of mane which I keep in long plaits. I redo them every week but only use my fingers to sort out the mane. I wash it once a month and use baby shampoo with human hair conditioner in the rinsing water. Don't use silicone detangler, it will break the hair. Mine is fully clipped now, but in a standard neck turnout. Hood is last resort if we drop below freezing for more than two days. Long manes are hard work but worth it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have Spanish horses with various amounts of long hair. I hardly ever brush fully, never use detangler, and wash manes about once a month, tails less frequently. I do finger pick through any tangles that form. I've never used a rug with a neck.

P.S. Most detangling sprays contain silicone which will make hair brittle.

This but I never wash it.

I don't understand why people do unless they show. Anyone?

meleeka

Visit site

I think some people just like clean horses, it’s as simple as that :) It’s far easier to achieve if they are fully clipped. Mine isn’t so I don’t delve too deeply 😂

Reactions: tda

BlackRider

Visit site
Neglect is the best thing for a long mane and avoid necks on rugs as they do rub.

I've had arabs, and last year got a Fell pony, once a month I use some fractionated coconut oil (which is fab and also quite cheap), and do a mini detangle.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

Mane gets sticky, is white, horse loves to lie with head, neck (pretty much everything...) in poo, and we have to be seen in public fairly regularly. If none of those conditions is present I don't wash.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mane gets sticky, is white, horse loves to lie with head, neck (pretty much everything...) in poo, and we have to be seen in public fairly regularly. If none of those conditions is present I don't wash.

Sorry C, I included you in 'showing' . That's probably a huge insult!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
There's a product, and I can't remember the name of it!! Its in a long black plastic container, and has a pink logo on! (also has a "Royal Appointment" thing on). Can't think what the dang stuff is called (have to go to tackroom later on to find out! sorry), BUT this is good stuff and I use it regularly. I have two very hairy cobs, both with very thick manes and tails.

The other thing you can try, but DO PATCH TEST FIRST, is WD40. Either spray direct on the mane/tail, or onto a brush or whatever and brush through, it will do a very good job of untangling and protecting from mud etc. Cheap and cheerful!

But - warning - do NOT use any sort of product on tails and/or fetlocks if farrier coming within the next three or four days, my farrier told me this! As these products can ignite if farrier burning-off!!!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My mare has mane well past her shoulder and a bit to her knees. Like others, I don't touch it except to occasionally tease out wind tangles if they annoy me. When going out posh, I do hand free it all, spray and it's good to go.
Last winter I had full neck rug on her and didn't lose a bit of mane, BUT the neck is not snug and it is lined with slippy nylon.
I don't plait it full stop, not to ride, jump, hunt, nor at home in field or stable.
Neglect is the way forwards 😎

Steerpike

Visit site
I have Arabs with long manes, I never put any products on them as it makes my reins slippery,I do use snuggy hoods in the winter and tease out any knots with my fingers, I only brush it and plait it if I'm going to an endurance ride and that's the only time it will get washed

Last edited:

blitznbobs

Visit site
Neglect is the best car my cobs mane is about 4ft long maybe more and it only gets touched before a show - oil based products then (no silicone) and never ever gets a
Neck on his rug

Surbie

Visit site
There's a product, and I can't remember the name of it!! Its in a long black plastic container, and has a pink logo on! (also has a "Royal Appointment" thing on). Can't think what the dang stuff is called (have to go to tackroom later on to find out! sorry), BUT this is good stuff and I use it regularly. I have two very hairy cobs, both with very thick manes and tails.

Carr & Day & Martin Equimist?
I've used that but if I use it on his mane my reins get unbelievably slippy!