Caring for Mattes lambskin products....

soloequestrian

Visit site
...least effort required to keep them in good condition? Have just bought an eye-wateringly expensive girth that has a lambskin cover. The instructions aren't very clear - seem to say in one place that the cover should be washed after every ride (seems excessive) and in another to wash every 2-3 weeks. Horse isn't particularly greasy or sweaty so what is the recommendation from experience? Is Melp the only thing that can be used as detergent? Thanks!

Visit site
I used to put softener in the wash along with normal washing powder with mine as it kept the wool soft. As for washing it - just wash it when it’s dirty, doesn’t matter how many times it’s been used if it’s not that dirty, you can always give it a brush instead. Also, I think you can get a little brush from Mattes for brushing the wool to keep it well errrm… Woolley! ?

Nt9

Visit site
I washed my Mattes half pad without Melp :eek: but with human hair conditioner applied first, came out fine :), I would say wash when you think it needs washing

Fieldlife

Visit site
I use supermarket cheapest hair conditioner. I wash when can’t brush dirt out with wire brush anymore.

I don’t think I wash the girth more than every 3 months. It’s only on my dressage saddle. I’ve a different girth on hacking saddle.

jnb

Visit site
Smother and rub in cheap hair conditioner, wash on 20c on a wool wash with NuuWash or Melp
When wet, brush the pile with a wire dog brush and most important of all, do NOT put in any direct heat to dry, I put my numnahs on a saddle rack fleece side up and they honestly come up good as new. I bought my first Morpheus sheepskin half lined numnah at Badminton in 2009 and it's still as good as new.

Kaylum

Visit site
Hand wash cold water with hair conditioner. Wrap in towel to remove excess water and leave to air dry.

Northern Hare

Visit site
.... and whatever you do, don't try and hurry up the drying process by popping it in the tumble dryer - ever....

(talking from experience here!!?)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I used to put softener in the wash along with normal washing powder with mine as it kept the wool soft. As for washing it - just wash it when it’s dirty, doesn’t matter how many times it’s been used if it’s not that dirty, you can always give it a brush instead. Also, I think you can get a little brush from Mattes for brushing the wool to keep it well errrm… Woolley! ?

Mattes don't advise softener, some may get away with it but there is no need. Wash with melp, wool wash, 30 degrees or wash by hand, slow spin, dry slowly away from direct heat. Wash when "looking dirty" becomes "feeling dirty" ie the very start of crusting is a bit late. Don't brush. Mattes advice has changed, it used to be wash seldom and brush often, not any more.

From a stockist.

Wizpop

Visit site
I just wash mine when it looks like it needs it! Lots of human hair conditioner rubbed into dry sheepskin, leave fo a while ( sometimes leave overnight) wash on wool wash and air dry. Comes out perfect ?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I use a plastic curry comb on my sheepskin numnahs after every use, dry them naturally and wash them in a wool detergent as soon as they need it. They have all lasted for years.