Carl Hester Calmer

bailey14

Visit site
Sorry I can't help as I have never used anything to calm down my horse, other than the outing after the one I had been bolted with.

I am not convinced these calmers work. I think the calmer works as a placebo effect on the rider, i.e if the rider 'thinks' their horse will be calmer then there is a good chance they will ride it calmer and not tense up, get nervous, etc and transmit all that tension to their horse. I am not trying to belittle you, and can understand where you are coming from but it would be interesting to see if they have carried out a study regarding this type of thing. x

Why don't you try taking rescue remedy yourself instead?

tormor

Visit site
we have tried couple of calmers and with each one still get the going bolt upright, napping and being a general twit so i'm pretty sure its not the rider.

little_flea

Visit site
I used it for the first time last weekend at a show - mare (new horse, don't know her v well yet) has been spooky and a bit tense, and the Carl Hester Pro Mag shots were on offer for 2 for 1, so I thought I'd give it a go - horse was much calmer and more focussed. It could of course have been just coincidence, but magnesium after all does counteract adrenaline, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Problem with magnesium is that it is waterbased so leaves the system with sweat/urine, so only a very short term effect - though Nupafeed claims they have sorted out this problem with their calmer (which they may very well have done).

Ahem, sorry for essay - in short, especially with the current offer of two for one - I'd give it a go!