Carl Hester - good clinician?

Coreene

New User
Visit site
I am going auditing a clinic with Carl Hester on Thursday in Coto de Caza (right in The OC). Any feedback on how he is as a clinician? I'm really looking forward to it.

Judie

Visit site
Can't quite understand your post, are you writing an essay on one of his clinics or something, how can you 'audit' a dressage clinic, to audit something you have to have a procedure to follow, you then audit the said procedure for compliance? I've never heard of a dressage rider giving a demo as a 'clinician' before. Am I missing something???

JLav

Visit site
I agree with meandmyself. I go on Ultimate Dressage alot which is a predominately American forum and this term "auditing" is used alot. I gather it means going to watch a clinic taken by Carl.

I have ridden on a clinic with Carl and he was brilliant so Im sure you'll find him really good Coreen. If you get the opportunity let us know. He really made a difference in one session with the mare that I rode and she has continued to go from strength to strength since.

spudsmum

Visit site
You lucky thing! I would sell my husband to go on a clinic with Carl Hester! Does anybody know how you go about trying to get on one of his clinics?
laugh.gif

Alibear

Visit site
yep audit means watch not ride.

Defintily go I watched Carl do a demo (1 hour long session riding he's own horse and commentating on what he did) last year at YHL and I got loads out of it.

Very good at putting his point across and explains things well.

sorona

Visit site
He is fantastic, i saw him do a demo at a horse auction a few months ago and i was very impressed. He is enthusiastic, witty and of course, fantastic to watch.

Coreene

New User
Visit site
Yes, in the US we say "auditing" when we are spectating.

Thanks for the feedback, we're all very excited about it. Carl and Spenny are doing three days here; yesterday in San Juan Capistrano (as in the song "When the swallows come back to Capistrano"), today in Capistrano and Coto, and tomorrow all day in Coto.

If you have seen the tv show "Real Housewives of Orange County," which is ghastly, it's the stable (in Coto) that one of the gals boards at. Delighted that a friend put this clinic together, because we rarely have them at our place in Huntington Beach.

Coreene

New User
Visit site
Oh, PS on getting into one of his clinics. At the one he and Spenny are doing here, a friend organized it and put the word out, and she has some nice horses in it. I would have loved to ride in it, but my gelding is a bit too much of a greenie still (he only did his show ring debut 10 days ago at Training Level and still loves to pull the baby stunts, so I'll save him for next time).

Most of the time here people will be doing a clinic and you just sign up to participate. Is it different over there?

Halfstep

Visit site
I think its just a matter of vocabulary, Coreene. We don't use the term "auditing" a clinic over here - but if I had the opportunity to watch a Spencer/Carl clinic I would go for sure. They are both brilliant. Even better to ride in one! Enjoy it.

Judie

Visit site
Sorry Coreen, it's the accountant in me that was thrown by the term 'audit'.

I've had a lesson with Carl and he is great, puts you at ease and is really easy to understand, the fact he is fit, good looking and completely off limits to us girls has nothing to do with it!
grin.gif