Carob kibble

nuttychestnuthorse

Visit site
Hi, I've just had my mare diagnosed with grade 3 ulcers. I've been looking into supplements to give her after her treatment and I've come across Caron kibble. What are your experiences with it?? And on the valley view we site there's a few choices of it which one do you buy?? Thanks

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have fed this for a couple of years now. My WB who had ulcers has this and the Allen & Page Sugar and Cereal Intolerant feed. I also add micronized linseed for condition and gut health.

Carob is brilliant imo. |t is sweet yet contains no sugar (used in diabetic chocolate) and horses love it. It's high in calcium. I was just warned to beware in the summer as the grass contains plentiful calcium levels. :) I even feed it to my 10hh laminitic prone. It's good for the gut - it stops runny poos.
I want to use Simple systems feeds next winter, but I will retain feeding the carob (or locust bean as it's also known).

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I am in Essex and I order it from Gladwell's Feed merchants (via my local feed supplers). It is imported from Spain and you will likely find that any big feed merchant can source it. It costs me around £11 for a 20kg bag. Hope this helped. I have bought it via Valley supplies in the past and I would suggest to maximise thebenefit from their delivery costs you buy a large batch if you go to them. :)

Oberon

Visit site
I fed carob for a while. The horses loved it (although it smells like dead feet).

It's too high in calcium for my grazing - which would explain why they never looked great on it, it was messing up the ratio of phosphorous and magnesium and by proxy zinc and copper.

I bought it from the Valley vendor and she was truly fab and lovely. I'd never hesitate to buy from her again, if carob was appropriate for them to eat.

Have you seen Egusin is now available in the UK? Sarah B (who owns ForagePlus) said she was trialling it for one of her horses. It must have worked well as she is selling it now!

http://shop.forageplus.com/epages/es137718.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es137718/Products/SLH15

horseelady

Visit site
I've been using carob products for a while now, more than a year I think. I buy mine from valley view, and when ever I need advice I just e-mail them. Their knowledge is super, as they are equestrian themselves. I've never had a horse with ulcers but my friend has, she uses the carob crumb for her horse with the ulcers, and says he is doing really well and is back eventing. So it's worth a try just contact them and they will put you on the right track. For me my problems were mainly Lami, but that is past history now, and I've no worries anymore, just enjoying my herd!