CArrot stretch between legs

Maz55

Visit site
Hi I regularly do carrot stretches with my mare but when going between her legs she always bends a knee. Any tips please to get her to stretch properly? Thanks

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Hmmm....... are you doing the carrot-stretches as a result of physio or vet advice?? Or just something you're doing to try and supple her up and get her stretching, but without the physio or a professional having seen her?

Coz my immediate gut reaction is that if this is consistent and something she's doing all the time, she's doing this for a reason and it may indicate that she's stiffer and/or in pain more on one side than the other, hence the avoiding action.

I would deffo get her looked at as it suggests to me that she's maybe in a bit of pain and/or stiff on one side.

Shay

Visit site
Take it slowly. If she can't make that strech without bowing then only take the carrot to where she can manage. Do that for a few weeks then take it a tiny bit further. It no different than you learning to do something like the slpits. If you can't go all the way to begin with work on it - little by little.

Surbie

Visit site
As Shay says back it up a bit and reduce the amount of stretch you are asking for.

Mine is much stiffer one side than the other and from asking for a bit too much on that side he would cock his hind leg to make a stretch near his stifle easier. It's gradually getting easier for him now I've taken it back but it takes time.

Maz55

Visit site
Hmmm....... are you doing the carrot-stretches as a result of physio or vet advice?? Or just something you're doing to try and supple her up and get her stretching, but without the physio or a professional having seen her?

Coz my immediate gut reaction is that if this is consistent and something she's doing all the time, she's doing this for a reason and it may indicate that she's stiffer and/or in pain more on one side than the other, hence the avoiding action.

I would deffo get her looked at as it suggests to me that she's maybe in a bit of pain and/or stiff on one side.
Physios advice - yes she is stiff one side but treated regularly