Carrot stretch routine?

QueenDee_

Visit site
I have recently started doing carrot stretches to improve suppleness, but for those of you who do carrot stretches, I was wondering what your 'routine' is? Which stretches do you do/how many do you do of each stretch, and how often do you do the stretches/week?

Has anyone noticed a significant difference in their horse from doing the stretches?

Interested to hear peoples opinions!

applecart14

Visit site
Usually two on each side - imagine a line going from the back of the saddle to the middle of the horses belly. That's where I stretch my horse to, every time I ride. Then I do two or three stretches underneath the girth with his head between his legs (to try and get stomach muscles working better and to raise back).

I always end with a single stretch forwards so his neck stretches right out in front of him. My physio said you should always end with this stretch.

I don' t tend to use carrots, instead I use half a strong mint for each stretch or half a liquorice piece (his favourite is strawberry).

Sprat

Visit site
I'm currently doing a 2:1 ratio of stretches as my mare has come to me wonky, but the same stretches as applecart14 (I think we use the same physio - Gemma?) so also agree to always end with a forward neck stretch.

I've only been doing this for two weeks but I have noticed the muscle on her neck is developing correctly now as opposed to being very one sided.

First Flame

Visit site
I do the same as the Sprat and Applecart 14 but also do a stretch down towards the front fetlock on each side, can really see the tummy muscles work so good for helping core strength.

Embo

Visit site
I do shoulder, belly, bum on each side then move on to down between front legs and finish on a forward stretch.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I do the same as applecart. usually do them every day, especially when he's stabled! 99% of the time he clicks, so think he needs them!

but I was wondering this morning if this is normal! he's started to occasionally pick up his back leg when he's stretching around! am I making him stretch too far? he has the physio again on Thursday so will ask her!

googol

Visit site
I do the same as applecart. usually do them every day, especially when he's stabled! 99% of the time he clicks, so think he needs them!

but I was wondering this morning if this is normal! he's started to occasionally pick up his back leg when he's stretching around! am I making him stretch too far? he has the physio again on Thursday so will ask her!

Mine sometimes does the back leg lift too so I'm interested to hear.
I'm going to start doing the forward stretch to finish too now
Glad to have a new one to teach him lol

naza

Visit site
Usually two on each side - imagine a line going from the back of the saddle to the middle of the horses belly. That's where I stretch my horse to, every time I ride. Then I do two or three stretches underneath the girth with his head between his legs (to try and get stomach muscles working better and to raise back).

I always end with a single stretch forwards so his neck stretches right out in front of him. My physio said you should always end with this stretch.

I don' t tend to use carrots, instead I use half a strong mint for each stretch or half a liquorice piece (his favourite is strawberry).

What's the single stretch out like?

Princess16

Visit site
Then I do two or three stretches underneath the girth with his head between his legs (to try and get stomach muscles working better).

Every time I try this he steps back so how do I get him to stretch his neck between his legs without stepping back?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
When you do the stretches to the hip if you hold the tail and gently pull it inwards it increases the stretch, getting them to hold the stretch for 5 seconds is also very good.

Sootsme

Visit site
Princess16, Hold the carrot just between his front legs so he just reaches down for it, and gradually move it further back as he gets used to not moving he will need to learn to stand with his front legs apart so he can get his head between them.

Princess16

Visit site
Princess16, Hold the carrot just between his front legs so he just reaches down for it, and gradually move it further back as he gets used to not moving he will need to learn to stand with his front legs apart so he can get his head between them.

Thank you will give it a try.

Auslander

Visit site
I do three low and three high either side, then three between the legs.

Then Alf does a few more off his own bat, in an attempt to earn more carrot

11109597_10153431485605730_9064889404792812888_n.jpg

Ella19

Visit site
With mine I was told down in front where you would place a feed bowl, then toes, fetlock, knees and chest. Then we do round to knees on both sides and then round to just below the shoulder both sides. I do all twice and finish with the feed bowl one. She then has 20minsof walk work long and low before anything else, this is regardless hacking, schooling or lunging.

Fun Times

Visit site
With mine I was told down in front where you would place a feed bowl, then toes, fetlock, knees and chest. Then we do round to knees on both sides and then round to just below the shoulder both sides. I do all twice and finish with the feed bowl one. She then has 20minsof walk work long and low before anything else, this is regardless hacking, schooling or lunging.

I reckon we may use the same chiro/physio Ella as my chap told me the same. I also add in the stretch out in front as per Applecart's suggestion.