Cars for towing....recomendations?

katiejaye

Visit site
I currently have a kia sorento auto diesel and am looking to change (its a few years old and out of warrenty etc). I was looking at the newer model sorento but was very upset to see that they have reduced its towing capacity to 2200 :-( i need to tow an ifor 505 and mainly just with one 15.3hh mw and ocassionally a 16.2 (not together). I really am looking for something 1 or at a push 2 years old. I dont want a massive beast of a car so something on the more economical side. I was recommended to look at the vw tiguan (towing capacity of 2500) but have no experience of its capability.

Any recommendations or tips would be great :)

Lotty

Visit site
We have a Discovery 3 and that tows a Ifor 510 with one 16.1hh horse. My hubby suba dives and has a sankey trailer which carrier alot of heavy tanks and diving stuff. My hubby won't have any other towing vehicle apart from a Defender.

_April_

Visit site
I have had 2 Disco's and I would never get another one. Poss bad luck but they were just so unreliable (and they weren't old cars either!)

I would recommend a Nissan Navara any day for towing. Mine was like a tank and so reliable. I only sold it to fund a house sale. Possibly too greedy for you but I found it fine.

Currently have a Jeep Cherokee (the smaller one not the grand one) but have yet to tow with it yet. It has a capacity of 2500 and has been great in all other aspects.

My friend just got a Mitsubishi Shogun sport which has a 2800 tow capacity and its also very nice.

Last edited:

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
2200kg is plenty of capacity for towing one horse. At a push (unless horses are heavyweights) you could tow both but it would too close to the max to do it regularly. I think newer models Nissan Xtrail, Toyota Rav and Hyundai Santa Fe (2007'ish) do the same as the Kia.

ladyt25

Visit site
Doing a quick rekkie on this site http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/towing_vehicles.htm

it looks like the best ones are going to be the Mitsubishi Shogun, Nissan terrano or Nissan Pathfinder. Isuzu would also be good but not sure they still make them do they??? Looks like the Santa Fe only has a towing capacity of 2300kgs - I would have thought they were more capable than that to be honest.

Shazzababs

Visit site
If you want a 'car' then we looked into this recently.

The only 2 options were a Hyundai Santa Fei (Post 2010 model only) and a VW Tiguan, Escape model only.

Test drove the Tiguan, it was very nice, but the boot was too small for us.

Edited to say that the mpg on both of those were pretty good considering.

In the end we went for a new run around for every day and a cheap Disco for towing.

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
I also have a short wheel base jeep,it's the 3.7 petrol and that has a towing capacity of 3.3 tonnes on it. Mpg - not sure as use it for short hops now and work out equine journeys differently. So a round trip pulling a heavy 17 hand ISH 90 miles cost me around £40. I do now factor in petrol costs when looking trips out which I never has to do previously. In terms of money you could pick up one quite cheaply have a look on auto trader and you get a lot of car for your money. Mine has also been super reliable and as my local garage service it, not much to run.