Cartrophen injecction experience

Polos Mum

Visit site
Hi all, Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with cartrophen injections for kissing spine. my TB started having back pain, xrays show some processes 'close' and some brighter white patches suggesting new bone formation. He's had steroid injections and shockwave which have really helped (along the spine the muscle is still very sore 2 months later!) vet now thinks cartrophen would help ensure it stays settled for longer.
Welcome any views

Shavings

Visit site
ME!!!

My Tb gelding got them for a SI issue in may this year, and we have never looked back he is getting stronger and a lot happier to do his rehab work, he was grumpy after the first as he wasnt aloud any pain killer wile we waited for it to work its way in, but now he is off pain killer and happy as larry!

feel free to message me :)

Stockers

Visit site
I had this for my old boy for SI issues and used to administer it IM myself. It helped him in medium term - other, non-related issues meant that I lost him after about a year but he was certainly more comfortable with it.

PorkChop

Visit site
I have given cartrophen but not for kissing spines.

I was happy with the results and you can give a top up every month if need be. I gave four intial injections a week apart.

I gave the injections myself, and if you get a prescription you will probably get it cheaper online.

dixie

Visit site
Didn't work me for but wasn't for his back
We started to administer ourselves but he became needle shy so got the vet to do the rest. The needle is quite thick.

CrazyEquestrian

Visit site
Worked wonders for my pony's arthritis! Made a massive difference. We have the vet out to administer it as she likes to see how he is.

Stockers

Visit site
I have given cartrophen but not for kissing spines.

I was happy with the results and you can give a top up every month if need be. I gave four intial injections a week apart.

I gave the injections myself, and if you get a prescription you will probably get it cheaper online.

Yes this is what I did. got quite nifty with the injections.

tiga71

Visit site
Mine had it originally to help his feet when the farrier had got the angle of his feet wrong, so he had to help while his feet were done by new farrier. He also has bony nodules in his neck and a dodgy stifle. Vet said cartrophen would also help keep his neck and stifle working smoothly. He has an injection every few months. I give it to him myself except when vet is out to check him. I can definitely tell when he is due for a shot. He is stiffer and takes longer to work himself loose when he is due one. I do self-regulate him depending on his work load. He only needs it when he is in medium work. If he is having an easy few months I don't give it to him as often.

Visit site
Cartrophen is an all round drug which either works or doesn't. Same with any drug.

With IM drugs I tend to work round each 1/4. Right side of the neck then next time the back side, then over to the other side of the backside then back to the left hand side of the neck. Never gets too many in one section too often.