Casting winter coat?

Twisted willow

New User
Visit site
Hi, does any one else have a horse/pony starting to loose their winter woollies already? I can't decide if she knows we are in for a long,hot,dry spring/summer(fingers crossed) or if the more likely reason is this is the first winter in which she has been stabled :rolleyes::D

setterlover

Visit site
My cob is throwing off his coat in handfuls white patches like snow all over the field !
Hope he does regret it later!

dottylottie

Visit site
this thread makes me glad mine are clipped!🤣 it always seems like they keep their winter coats for about a week, then spend the next 6 months stripping them off😂

Jambarissa

Visit site
I bought a yeti quite recently. Young and healthy with sooooo much double coat so I thought I'd leave him to it.

Despite grooming whenever he was dry and being in over night he has been so itchy I decided to do a low trace and he's got little patches of rains scald everywhere.

Poor bugger was lifting his leg so I could get right in under his belly where he was itchy.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi, does any one else have a horse/pony starting to loose their winter woollies already? I can't decide if she knows we are in for a long,hot,dry spring/summer(fingers crossed) or if the more likely reason is this is the first winter in which she has been stabled :rolleyes::D
Nice to see someone else using the word casting,. Was always taught dogs and cats moult horses cast their coat.
Mine is loosing some fluff but not sure if she as actually started.

Donkeyslave

Visit site
One of my donkeys has the most awful coat this year. It looks dull, dry and is a bit dandruffy 😱 Any suggestions of herbal remedies? I'm afraid that linseed may be too heating and fattening.