Castrate or not?

Lolo

Visit site
We have a dilemma.

Currently, we have 3 dogs- Daisy (8), Bertie (18 months) and Rosie (6 months). Bertie and Daisy are the parents of Rosie- an accidental breeding!

Bertie is a very gentle and sweet dog. In every respect he is the perfect family pet- he does cuddles, is gentle with little children and lets them play with him and is generally an all round darling. He is also the world's biggest wimp and wouldn't say boo to a goose. The concern about castrating him is that he's going
a) get a massively curly coat (superficial, but he's hairy enough!)
b) become even more of a wimp

BUT he's living with 2 bitches and we can't keep them separate at all times when they're in season.

The concern about spaying Daisy is she is quite old, but then there's also the risk of the womb infection thing which is also playing on our minds.

And with Rosie, there is every likelihood that at some point in the future we would like to breed from her- she's the 3rd generation we've owned. (no comments on this as all checks would be done).

What would you do? Would chopping Bertie cause our worries, and would Daisy be safe to have an operation? Now is an ideal time as she won't be going shooting again so will have ages to recover... Apparently there's an injection Rosie can have which will make her infertile during her time in season?

Nailed

Visit site
No brainer. castration. I dont get what differance being castrated with have on his coat?!

He will walk like john wayne for a couple of days then be fine, the hysterectomy is a much larger op and posses much more problems.

Loux

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Eight is not too old to spay, we had ours done at ten or 11 after a pyo nearly killed her and she lived to 14.

I wouldn't say castration would turn your dog into a wimp. No real experience with the coat thing, my older dog is a sable and his coat was crap to begin with :eek:

Lolo

Visit site
I think my dad is empathising too strongly with Bertie then!

We're currently thinking quite short term, as in which to do first...

Spudlet

Visit site
Henry was done at the same age, by the rescue centre. Obviously I can't compare before and after, but I wouldn't say he's excessively fluffy. He is also not wimpy, he doesn't seek confrontation but if play gets too boisterous he will get shirty (even with dogs three times his size :eek: )

Spaying will remove the pyo risk, so worth speaking to your vet about to get your options.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I think my dad is empathising too strongly with Bertie then!

We're currently thinking quite short term, as in which to do first...

Then get Bertie done 1st as you don't want an accidental breeding with his daughter!!:eek: Also I really don't think it is fair to keep an entire dog with bitches as someone will regularly have to be separated/shut away.

Also having seen my brothers dog with a pyo and dads dog with a mammary tumor I would have Daisy Speyed too, it is a much safer Op. if she doesn't have to have it done as an emergency due to an infection.

madeleine1

Visit site
we are having our 6 month old puppy castrated as there are to many dogs in the world and we dont want a litter of puppys. id do all three of yours but thats just me

Clodagh

Visit site
Having all spayed bitches here I can't think of anything worse than blood everywhere 4 times a year (from your 2 bitches I mean). Surely if you can't guarantee keeping them apart its a no brainer!? I do think men empathise with dogs and their bits, my OH won't go and get done, either, let alone a male dog, if he owned one!

Lolo

Visit site
Rosie is yet to be in season thank goodness!

Thank you for all your input, think Bertie will be done ASAP then (he was almost entirely successfully kept apart from Daisy last time with minimal fuss, aside from when he jumped out the window to get to her when he saw she was in the garden... Although he was traumatised by the whole 'locking'thing it seems and whimpered solidly for about 2 hours afterwards!). Daisy will be the next priority then finally Rosie once we've decided on whether she'll be bred from.

Spudlet

Visit site
Mine winced a lot when I made him watch a programme that included gelding scenes :D

I suspect he might be a bit reluctant to castrate a dog if we get a puppy, but I'll be the one making the balls decisions :cool: :p

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'd have Daisy spayed as the risk of pyometra is so high and it's a horrible thing for a bitch to go through. I'd also have Bertie castrated.

Same, if you want t breed the youngster eventually.

we are having our 6 month old puppy castrated as there are to many dogs in the world and we dont want a litter of puppys. id do all three of yours but thats just me

Not an expert, but I keep hearing that it's better to wait til the dog is physically mature and to castrate at 18 months or so. I don't see how your dog would run off and mate if you're presumably keeping an eye on him.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
My male Dobe was castrated at 18months and it hasnt affected his coat or affected his head size which someone on here said it would. He is not a wimp either and is an all round sociable dog. We now have a bitch puppy who at 9months of age is in season and he dosnt take the slightest notice of her.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Echo everyone else. I would get Bertie done asap, first seasons can be quite hard to spot sometimes and the last thing you want is for him to mate his daughter.
I would also get Daisy spayed, it is far better to have it done when she is fit and well rather than as an emergency if she has a pyo. You can ask your vet to run blood tests before she has the GA and that will ensure they are aware of any problems, vets often older bitches extra fluids.

Lolo

Visit site
Thanks- Bertie is booked in for Friday and mum'll discuss Daisy at the same time.

I think we're all just worried that it'll somehow change him from being the perfect dog (also the most endlessly cuddly and affectionate!) to not. You've all reassured us, so thank you :)

SplashofSoy

Visit site
Just wanted to say had my terrier castrated just over a month ago at 13 months old and he is still the same placid loving dog he was, no change in temprement. He is only short haired but there has also been no change in his coat either.

norfolk_grump

Visit site
He who pays the fiddler call the tune! We habeas to msmy drippy bitches as it id. Any one have experience of the injections that stop bitches coming into season?

Spudlet

Visit site
Am very impressed at your auto-correct's vocabulary, not sure mine would know habeas (it thinks I meant haberdasher...!)