Castration wound

assuan

Visit site
2 weeks ago had our 10 month old castrated.
Got a slight infection, but given 5 days anti-biotics, which cleared it up nicely. Had another look at it today to check on it's healing progress and found the right wound is healing nicely but the left wound looks odd.... it's a bit 'gunky' although when wiped, it isn't gooey and doesn't smell bad, but it does look odd.

I am starting to wonder if it's so kind of abscess or something.
any thoughts?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Lgx1EWlf5UsDE4EBt_noZpgFYh_Lxyp_da3pukuF6oE?feat=directlink

Lgx1EWlf5UsDE4EBt_noZpgFYh_Lxyp_da3pukuF6oE

minmax

Visit site
That doesn't look very nice, I would be tempted to speak to the vet that did the op, send them this pic and ask them?
Mine had a swelling, after castration, it went a bit manky. I cold hosed it and kept it clean. The problem had been he had tucked up the left testicle, making it really hard to reach. I sent the vet pics of the wound and she said it was ok, just keep clean. It healed fine.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Post castration infections are quite common and are normally resolved with a course of TMP (Norodine granules) I had one on them for 3 weeks once.

Your colt's wound definitely does not look as it should, I expect once your vet sees the picture he will want to examine him.

I would be arranging a visit for Monday at the latest.

assuan

Visit site
My vet has just called back after looking at the picture.

It's basically some prolapsed under surface tissue and the wound has closed up around it. As long as he doesn't go off his food and water he'll be ok for now, but the vet is going to arrange to come out on Monday and sort it out!

Nothing that can't be fixed!! phew.

melissa1971

Visit site
Mine had that last year, basically its a bit of the tunic that the testicle was attatched to that has popped out through the wound, my vet left it about a week with him on anti biotics then had to sedate him and cut it of it was quite simple and healed really quickly.