Cat has matted coat

Miss L Toe

Visit site
This is a constant problem with my big boy cat, I am currently having to cut the coat with very sharp scissors, he is not very co-operative, I do brush him with a human plastic bristled brush every few days, but once the coat is matted, it hurts him to do so.
Could I use a horse conditioner, he is not very good at grooming himself, but does make the effort to clean his own paws and face.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Take him to the vet for sedition and a full clip. Then buy a proper cat brush and comb. Then brushing daily will keep him mat free.

millimoo

Visit site
As per Amymay.... Before my old lady was PTS she got knots in her coat as she wasn't grooming as much. I too was scars to hurt her as she was rail thin and old.
She had regular check ups and I discussed it with my vet who got a comb rather than paddle grooming brush and got masses out.
You just have to be regular and catch any hair balls before they get too big and groom them out.
Ive read that olive oil can make them slide out, but to be honest nothing but proper grooming should be he way to go.
And don't worry about going to the vets, I was ashamed of myself with my old cat, but my vet assured me he'd seen far worse and regularly had to clip cats

Suelin

Visit site
If you can get rid of existing mats in his coat, dust in talc and comb that through. It takes out any resistance in the hair. Comb or brush the coat towards his head and pour on the talc, (don't need to go mad with it, just enough), work it in with fingers a bit and then gently comb or brush. You can then brush him daily easily and he won't need to have the talc every day just maybe once a week. If his coat is dirty try a bran bath. Heat up some bran in the oven and work it into the coat and then as you brush it out the dirt comes with it. They usually like this because it is warm and cats love heat as a rule.

Good luck with it though. The one reason I never will have long haired cats, they are high maintenance. I do know a fair few folk who show/breed them though and this is what they do.

s4sugar

Visit site
I regularly groom matted cats and once the hair has felted it has to be clipped of. I have a pelt here that stands up by itself!

As above get a professional -vet or groomer to clip him - either just the affected areas or a full body clip.
Then throw away the plastic bush and instead use a comb. The brush is pushing the hair down, you need to comb the shed hair out.
With practice you can layer brush, a soft slicker is the best tool for this, which involves starting at the back, lifting the coat and brushing a small section in the direction of growth, then moving forwards half an inch & repeating.

ladyearl

vvv
Take him to the vet for sedition and a full clip. Then buy a proper cat brush and comb. Then brushing daily will keep him mat free.

do this it's the best and least stressful way to get on top of the problem

Jake10

Visit site
Move next door to an older couple who love cats and say you don't mind if the cat goes for a visit if they ask ;) Our giant fluffy boy has never been so mat free or so spoiled (has his own bed, treats etc at their house). They also had the time to work on his dislike of brushes

EAST KENT

Visit site
Used to groom matted cats,if it is not a complete "shell" you need a cat sized Miki Mat Splitter,blunt side to the skin it cuts under and up through the mats.That leaves a nice clean area for the new hairs to sprout.Please be very very careful using scissors! To get to new fur level means down to the skin,and it cats this is tissue paper thin and stretchy..so so easy to cut them!
Once things are under control just comb through with the Miki often to prevent it happening.

s4sugar

Visit site
Just to demonstrate what we mean by a "shell" -
DSCF4820.jpg

That is just leaning on the can & not touching the wall. It is standing up by itself. (& is only one side of the cat as it had to be split down the spine line.)

If you must use scissors put a comb between the scissors & the cat as cat skin will tear like chicken skin. A quarter inch cut can become an inch diameter hole.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
It is patchy, and I have had him for ten years without taking him to vet, but if is not resolved by next Monday, I will book him in for a shave!
My scissors are very tiny, and I am being v careful not to touch the skin.
I might try the matt splitter.