Cat on kitchen work surface

peanut

Visit site
I have been battling to stop my year old cat from jumping up on the kitchen work surface ever since he was big enough to do it. He's finally started to realise that it is naughty behaviour as he now gets down when I gruffly tell him to whereas for a long time he just sat and looked at me - he's not the brightest at the best of times! At least my last cat had the decency to look guilty and get down when he heard me coming!

The attraction seems to be the sink/water despite giving him a bowl of the same water on the floor and outside tap/rain water in the garden which he loves. I never leave food out on the work surface.

I suspect I'm fighting a losing battle but am reluctant to give in just yet and would welcome any thoughts!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
If it is running water he is after then buy a cat water fountain. I bought one for my blind cat so he could hear where his water was but mine all love it and not only drink but play with the fountain bit. I also leave an outside rainwater bowl and an indoor drinks dispenser but they always go for the fountain.

Mrs B

Visit site
Oh, we gave up years ago ... our current 2 Bengals just look at us like we're crazy. Which, in all fairness, we probably are.

Mind you, even Senior cat (3 yrs) surpassed herself last weekend at breakfast ... came in through the catflap and onto the table in one fluid motion, pausing only to spit out the dead shrew she was carrying onto Mr B's place mat as an offering, before sitting on his sports pages, beaming at him, and asking if there was any spare butter on offer ...

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
i threw one of those ball pit balls at mine when she was on any surfaces... did the trick. As for water... I don't put any down as she only seems to drink from the bird bath....

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Oh, we gave up years ago ... our current 2 Bengals just look at us like we're crazy. Which, in all fairness, we probably are.

Mind you, even Senior cat (3 yrs) surpassed herself last weekend at breakfast ... came in through the catflap and onto the table in one fluid motion, pausing only to spit out the dead shrew she was carrying onto Mr B's place mat as an offering, before sitting on his sports pages, beaming at him, and asking if there was any spare butter on offer ...

I've just spat out my cherry wine at Pads latest escapades. Don't you just love Bengals :D Do hope Mr B accepted her offering in exchange for the butter which no doubt didn't melt in her mouth. Norty huntress.

Equi

Visit site
I had a house cat for about a month. I was only looking after it for a friend who was moving house, but the bloody thing loved the tap. Hateful beast.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I have been battling to stop my year old cat from jumping up on the kitchen work surface ever since he was big enough to do it. He's finally started to realise that it is naughty behaviour as he now gets down when I gruffly tell him to whereas for a long time he just sat and looked at me - he's not the brightest at the best of times! At least my last cat had the decency to look guilty and get down when he heard me coming!

The attraction seems to be the sink/water despite giving him a bowl of the same water on the floor and outside tap/rain water in the garden which he loves. I never leave food out on the work surface.

I suspect I'm fighting a losing battle but am reluctant to give in just yet and would welcome any thoughts!

Our girl jumps up on the work surface in front of the toaster, as it is where we feed her, we have no issue with it at all even when she leaves footprints. never got ill and not dead yet so we let her carry on

Mrs B

Visit site
Our girl jumps up on the work surface in front of the toaster, as it is where we feed her, we have no issue with it at all even when she leaves footprints. never got ill and not dead yet so we let her carry on

Where's the 'like' button? :) Although I have to say, ours do get fed on a mat on the floor, despite what they'd actually prefer ...

OP In all seriousness. If you don't like them on surfaces, just use a water pistol. I can't guarantee they won't go there when you're not around but if they know you mean business when you growl, they will also tag on the water pistol memory when they paw out of line.

Good luck!

Mrs B

Visit site
I've just spat out my cherry wine at Pads latest escapades. Don't you just love Bengals :D Do hope Mr B accepted her offering in exchange for the butter which no doubt didn't melt in her mouth. Norty huntress.

Oooops! Sorry, LLA! Pads is indeed a monkey in cat's clothing ...

But no, butter wouldn't melt in this mouth, would it?

attachment.php

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
One of mine used to jump up incessantly in spite of being shouted at every time. Then one day he walked across the hob that I had only just switched off, hurtled into the air and landed in the frying pan that I had just taken off it....
He never jumped up on the work surface again....

Not that I'm recommending that as a course of action, but it certainly worked! And his feet were fine, just a bit pink for a while.

Britestar

Visit site
All my cats go on work surfaces. I've given up. I'm never ill and nor are they, lol.
Everything wipes down so I don't stress. I don't even use disinfectant. Just an Enjo cloth.

Cat comedy in our house is to sit on side or table and then vomit onto the floor from a height. Not funny. At all.

Overread

www.flickr.com
As long as you don't keep food out and wipe down surfaces before preparing you should be fine with cats on the worksurface*.
Otherwise the water-fountain for a cat would be an ideal option for a feline that likes flowing/moving water to drink from. Never had one ourselves by my brothers fiancée has one and it works well for her 3 cats.

*cats on the table though are a worry if you're not watchful. Our (sadly passed on a long while now) old longfurred cat once spend a whole meal watching my brothers lunch slowly diminish until all that was left was the steak (for some reason he eats the veg/chips first then the "nice" bit). He turned his head away for 5 seconds and in those 5 seconds the senile old cat grabbed the meat and was off the table and out of the catflap so fast even the husky couldn't catch her tail.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'm afraid my cat jumps up too. But she's fed on the kitchen counter to keep the food away from the dog. She also likes to lie above the boiler for its warmth. It's not ideal, and would never be permitted unless it was necessary. But hey, ho such is life.

peanut

Visit site
All my cats go on work surfaces. I've given up. I'm never ill and nor are they, lol.
Everything wipes down so I don't stress. I don't even use disinfectant. Just an Enjo cloth.

Cat comedy in our house is to sit on side or table and then vomit onto the floor from a height. Not funny. At all.

Lol!

Believe me, I'm ready to give up! It's not the germs I'm so worried about ... just the principle of it !!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Late to this but yep ours both do it too! We tried the whole no/ get down/ spray/ removing but they just look at you almost like they are saying who are you to tell me what I can and can't do.
Did once discover one of them sat on the table that is next to the work unit (yes their route takes them via the table across the units) eating the cheese off of the pastry I'd just laid out ready to go in the oven to bake savoury things for a work charity event!!
Mrs B & over read your stories are hillarious.
And Britestar yep most places here have been sicked on too. Including in my bed. I didn't half scream!

HashRouge

Visit site
Honestly I think life gets much easier when you accept that your cats will basically do whatever the hell they want, especially when you're not around! One of ours sleeps next to the bread bin on occasion. Not sure how we'd stop him - the kitchen is their overnight room!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Our Bengals do the same. They're obsessed by water (one has even waded into the bath as it was draining out and the other always arrives when someones in the bath to drink the bubbly water!). Mine are forever jumping up onto the kitchen work top everytime anyone walks remotely near the sink. They have a water bowl in my utility room sink (it has to go in the sink as they make such a wet mess round it) yet they still demand proper running tap water. I just accept it and spray wipe the counters with Dettol throughout the day.

tallyho!

Visit site
Is it just me?

Doesn't anyone else think cats on food surfaces is just gross? I could not abide it. sofa, beds, chairs all fine but the kitchen tops and tables are out of bounds and I think my cats knows that and respects it. She was a stray and did at first jump up but my voice and a ball thrown soon got the message across.

I can't even stand it when I go to my neighbours and watch her cats crawl all over the kitchen, puts me off my coffee tbh. I see where her cats go an all!! Same places as mine!!

Each to their own I suppose...

Spottyappy

Visit site
Is it just me?

Doesn't anyone else think cats on food surfaces is just gross? I could not abide it. sofa, beds, chairs all fine but the kitchen tops and tables are out of bounds and I think my cats knows that and respects it. She was a stray and did at first jump up but my voice and a ball thrown soon got the message across.

I can't even stand it when I go to my neighbours and watch her cats crawl all over the kitchen, puts me off my coffee tbh. I see where her cats go an all!! Same places as mine!!

I can't stand it either.
One of mine doesn't ever do it, one only takes the odd chance at it but the bengal rescue is a nightmare, and every available opportunity is up there.
So far, she's not been after the water either, just wants to patrol round. As she's a rescue, I haven't yet resorted to it, but my favourite deterrent is a water pistol joined by me shouting like a demented thing!

lrw0250

Visit site
I don't like it either to be honest. Our 2 are fed on the kitchen floor and the male one rarely used to go on the worktop unless I had left something tasty out, that was until we got his sister to live with us when my OH's gran died - she let her away with it and has been doing it in our house which has led her brother astray! Both get a growl and the look and will get down straight away now.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My cats get in the work surfaces I don't encourage it but they do. I'm the healthiest person I know and only had about one stomach bug in the last 20 years which I believe was norovirus caught from a human being who didn't wash their hands no doubt.

I don't prepare food on any surface that hasn't been cleaned first.

Mrs B

Visit site

As you say, each to their own.

My cats are not fed on kitchen worktops/tables, but do jump on them. I have no problem with that, having been born with a pair of 6 month old kittens sharing my cot. I simply use anti-bacterial spray to clean up when I need to.

However, although we also had a 6 month old lab puppy at the same time (and I love dogs) I have FAR more of a problem with dogs licking people's faces or jumping up.

tallyho!

Visit site
I have FAR more of a problem with dogs licking people's faces or jumping up.

That is a problem for me too... it makes my teeth hurt when they lick my hand (don't ask, probably some weird reaction) like a nail scratching a board type thing. It's also on the gross list.

Growing up we had dogs that never went near anyone else. They stayed put when guests arrived, silent all the day. They were busy dogs when they needed to be but that was that. In the house my family never tolerated that behaviour. Nowadays, every house you go to with dogs they're jumping up your clean trousers, licking you, sniffing at your crotch then straight back sniffing your face.... doesn't anyone know how to train dogs anymore?

Oh dear... I think I've got the Bah-Hum Bug...

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Is it just me?

Not just you! We don't have cats at home but have a yard cat. Couldn't have them on food prep surfaces if we did though. The dog doesn't sleep on the furniture and isn't allowed upstairs at all, she has her own beds, couldn't cope with the furry clothes etc. etc! Also dog has her own dishes, never allow her to eat out if the same ones we use, even if they are boiled in the dishwasher.

But as you say, each to their own!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I don't like cats on food surfaces either but mine are very good and never gone on them anyway.

I do however find myself sitting on the carpet as the cat has taken my place on the sofa!!!!