Cat on thyronorm

SEL

Visit site
Has anyone else got their cat on thyronorm?

She's gone completely off her food which isn't helpful as she has no spare fat on her at all any more.

I have a call out with the vet but just wondering if anyone else had this issue.

TheMule

Visit site
Really successful for my old cat- she wouldn’t eat it on food but would take it without a fuss straight from the syringe. She got her appetite back very quickly once settled on the meds

Reactions: SEL

SEL

Visit site
Really successful for my old cat- she wouldn’t eat it on food but would take it without a fuss straight from the syringe. She got her appetite back very quickly once settled on the meds
We had a great first week where she ate everything in sight and now she's just not interested. I have spent £10 at the local garden centre buying tiny pots of over priced yummy stuff so currently its like cat food tapas in the kitchen. Not bothered.

I need this stuff to work because plan B is pills and even the vet finds it hard to get a pill down her :(

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Our cat is on thyronorm and has the liquid in a syringe. he started on tablets but they didn’t seem to suit him. I can’t remember the details as it was many years ago. He loves licking it out of the syringe, it apparently tastes nice and he thinks it’s a treat! we have to have three monthly blood tests now which are financially painful but he’s generally it pretty good condition for his age. We also swapped him to fresh food as he seems to tolerate that better and put on some much needed weight!

good luck at the vets, I hope you get her feeling better.

SEL

Visit site
Our cat is on thyronorm and has the liquid in a syringe. he started on tablets but they didn’t seem to suit him. I can’t remember the details as it was many years ago. He loves licking it out of the syringe, it apparently tastes nice and he thinks it’s a treat! we have to have three monthly blood tests now which are financially painful but he’s generally it pretty good condition for his age. We also swapped him to fresh food as he seems to tolerate that better and put on some much needed weight!

good luck at the vets, I hope you get her feeling better.
She didn't seem to mind the taste but stopped eating anything at all Wed am and has just slept and not interacted much. She's usually pretty bouncy.

Tonight after 24 hours drug free she's just started eating again and has chased a cat 3 times her size out of the garden. The vet was worried about a serious reaction but given how quickly she's bounced back I think either the dosage was off or she's just unlucky with the nausea / lethargy side effects

Need her to eat though. She was 3kg at her heaviest and she was 2.5 last week.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
She didn't seem to mind the taste but stopped eating anything at all Wed am and has just slept and not interacted much. She's usually pretty bouncy.

Tonight after 24 hours drug free she's just started eating again and has chased a cat 3 times her size out of the garden. The vet was worried about a serious reaction but given how quickly she's bounced back I think either the dosage was off or she's just unlucky with the nausea / lethargy side effects

Need her to eat though. She was 3kg at her heaviest and she was 2.5 last week.
Poor girl, I hope you get her sorted. Good that she’s recovered well once drug free. I do recall that the vet started ours on a much higher dose than he perhaps needed initially. He did get side effects with itching but I can’t remember if it stopped him eating, but he was quite fussy about food back then so we wouldn’t have necessarily linked it to the thyroid meds. He was fine once the dose was lowered and then slowly increased to where it needed to be.

Umbongo

Visit site
Has she been tested for kidney failure too? Hyperthyroidism and renal failure can go hand in hand. A lot of the time when the thyroid is being successfully treated, you then see the signs of kidney disease which were being masked by the hyperthyroidism.

SEL

Visit site
Has she been tested for kidney failure too? Hyperthyroidism and renal failure can go hand in hand. A lot of the time when the thyroid is being successfully treated, you then see the signs of kidney disease which were being masked by the hyperthyroidism.
Yes she has - looks ok.

In fact all bloods were ok apart from thyroid so we're dropping the dose to see if she tolerates it better.

Shady

Visit site
Bit late to this and I don't have anything major to add except the dosage often needs tweaking. There are also some excellent low iodine foods available that you could try. Hills springs to mind, and I suspect Royal Canin do one too. They do work, if the cat likes them!

SEL

Visit site
Bit late to this and I don't have anything major to add except the dosage often needs tweaking. There are also some excellent low iodine foods available that you could try. Hills springs to mind, and I suspect Royal Canin do one too. They do work, if the cat likes them!
Thanks - vets didn't mention feed change might help. I'll get some samples and see what she thinks.

I have a feeling we'll be muddling through on a low dose rather than getting her thyroid results to "normal" but given the state of her when I found her in Birmingham I'm surprised she's made it to 14 really 😕

Shady

Visit site
Thanks - vets didn't mention feed change might help. I'll get some samples and see what she thinks.

I have a feeling we'll be muddling through on a low dose rather than getting her thyroid results to "normal" but given the state of her when I found her in Birmingham I'm surprised she's made it to 14 really 😕
Oh bless Sel. 14 is a good age. It might be worth having a nosey on line to see if there are any fb groups on this. I find them incredibly helpful when you do find one for a specific illness or breed type. I would definitely be looking at her diet. I hope you get her sorted, so she has many more years with you . xx