Cat question

missieh

Visit site
My 11 year old cat has, over the last few days, been passing bright red blood when he goes in the litter tray. It took a couple of days to be sure it was him as we have 3 cats. He is a slim cat at the best of times so hard to tell if any weight loss. I will take him to the vets Tues but in the meantime I am thinking worse case scenario. What ELSE apart from a growth would cause these symptoms?

WelshD

Visit site
If it's bright red blood it could be from a little tear (if it's not much blood) perhaps his poop is a bit big or extra solid

If he was mine I'd be tempted to feed a little tuna in oil to see if that changes things but beyond that I'd definitely involve a vet

fatpony

Visit site
Are you sure its from the rectum/anus? not from the penis/urinary tract?
Could be cystitis which can become an emergancy in male cats because they can become blocked. As long as he is eating and drinking and not is pain then probably could leave till after bank holiday though a lot of vets are open as normal anyway. If becomes subdued/painful in his abdomen then get him to a vet asap as could be blocked urethra and can cause kidney damage and death very quickly.

thewonderhorse

Visit site
Sounds a bit like colitis?! I know its a horrible subject but is it a bit 'jellyfied'?

It can be a food intolerance issue if it is. I would try feeding some chicken, plain boiled and cooled. It'll be gentle on his tum.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My 11 year old cat has, over the last few days, been passing bright red blood when he goes in the litter tray. It took a couple of days to be sure it was him as we have 3 cats. He is a slim cat at the best of times so hard to tell if any weight loss. I will take him to the vets Tues but in the meantime I am thinking worse case scenario. What ELSE apart from a growth would cause these symptoms?

u want to get him to vet asap
tape worm.