Cat weeing in inappropriate places

julesjoy

Visit site
I'll try to include all info.... at least one cat, as in I've seen one cat once and don't know who does it the many other times, has started weeing in places that are not the litter tray. Litter trays cleaned out regularly, no change to animal.or human house inhabitants. The cat I've seen do it once is 12 and knows full well how to use a litter tray and is an indoor cat. It is choosing to use soft things on the floor to wee on - a blanket that's fallen out of a child's bed, some clothing that missed the wash basket, a plastic bag on a rug. I'm not sure whether it's a vet job, or I need to change the litter for a different type, or put another litter tray upstairs (most recent incidents upstairs)? I'm spraying with enzyme spray and washing with vinegar so each spot is new not repeated. Any thoughts?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Cystitis, one of the signs is finding soft items to pee on. As it’s usually stress related and not bacterial vets don’t treat with AB’s but you can get a Feliway Cystease supplement which settles the bladder down. It works well in both our male and female cats when they get it and it’s not expensive. Obviously if there’s blood in the pee it’s an immediate vet visit.

Cavalier

Visit site
I've had a male cat with cystitis and they find it painful to pee due to crystals causing blockages, hence peeing little and often where ever they are. Definitely worth a vet trip

NinjaPony

Visit site
My cat started spraying for the first time in her life (she is spayed) and when I took her to the vets it turned out she had bladder stones that needed removing. No trouble since but I do keep her on a wet food only diet.

peanut

Visit site
I have a 9yr old who has always peed randomly but if he started doing it now, having previously been litter trained, I would get him checked by the vet. Cats are very prone to urinary issues in later life

julesjoy

Visit site
Hi, thanks for your thoughts - I'm not sure what would stress him out given no changes have happened in the house. Assuming it is only one cat doing it. Unfortunately I cannot distinguish between wee smells!

I haven't noticed any blood on the items but I can't exactly get a sample easily either - do vets need that? Sounds like an appointment is best, I'll give them a call.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your thoughts - I'm not sure what would stress him out given no changes have happened in the house. Assuming it is only one cat doing it. Unfortunately I cannot distinguish between wee smells!

I haven't noticed any blood on the items but I can't exactly get a sample easily either - do vets need that? Sounds like an appointment is best, I'll give them a call.

Older cats can become stressed very easily as they lose their senses so it might not be obvious to us that there is a problem. It could also be something as simple as another cat moving into the neighbourhood and crossing the garden, the scent can be enough to trigger cystitis.

Vet is a good place to start though, they can rule out loss of kidney function. Hope you have an answer soon as it’s just as distressing for the cat as it us humans.

julesjoy

Visit site
No, she took a wee sample and checked that for various markers. No problems for a week after the vet visit, then teo thibgs in two days. His favourite crunchy cat tunnel is now in the bin as I couldn't deal with trying to clean it, and I had to wash a sleeping bag that briefly fell off a pile prepared for camping. Frustrating.

Bluewaves

Visit site
I've had this randomly with my female cat who is now 16, who liked to pee on the carpet at the side of my bed next to the wall. I've never been able to work out exactly what is causing the problem. Also checked by the vet including blood tests more recently and seemed fine. She just seems to go through phases of wanting to pee in different places which is obviously really annoying. She liked peeing in the empty bath or shower tray for a while as well, then goes phases of not bothering with it. But she hasn't done that for ages and is totally a litter tray girl right now.

julesjoy

Visit site
Not that I've noticed but he's an indoor cat so shouldn't be too upset by other outdoor cats?! Maybe he's just starting to lose the one braincell he has the daft sod.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We’re having a massive problem with this at the moment. It’s only been going on for a couple of weeks and he’s been immaculately clean prior to this. He’s literally just been diagnosed as diabetic.