Catching a unhandled horse in a large herd and field

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I truly believe that if people ask straightforward, honest questions and provide all the salient details from the beginning, without moving the goalposts half way through, and don't do that reverse thing that I'd never heard of till today, then they will get honest, usually knowledgeable and helpful and mature responses from this forum.

On the other hand ...

fawaz

Visit site
Thinking outside the box here regarding getting the stuff on him without being able to catch him. Can you corner him and squirt him with a super soaker? Not sure if the treatment is a liquid? If not mix with water and a little dye so you can see if you got enough on him and then squirt him. Would mean you don't have to catch him or handle him but just get close enough and aim. I know it's a bit crude but at least you don't risk being evicted if he isn't treated and you will just have to work on his trust before the next treatment. He is already traumatized and I can't imagine this would be the worst thing he needs to get over.

I also can't imagine a full grown pony who has had no handling is going to just stop and stand there once you get hold of his halter. From experience he is going to run and slingshot you around the paddock, a very large paddock and it will just make him harder to deal with in the long run.

Peter7917

Visit site
This is insane!!!!!! You took an unhandled 3yo and threw him into a TWENTY ACRE FIELD with SEVENTEEN horses!?!?!?! I am so shocked. Do other people do this? I have never heard of such madness. How is it ever going to be possible to productively and more importantly safely work with him in such an unsuitable arrangement? Just Wow!!

D66

Visit site
This is insane!!!!!! You took an unhandled 3yo and threw him into a TWENTY ACRE FIELD with SEVENTEEN horses!?!?!?! I am so shocked. Do other people do this? I have never heard of such madness. How is it ever going to be possible to productively and more importantly safely work with him in such an unsuitable arrangement? Just Wow!!
That is a neat summary of this thread. Many other replies have managed to be more tactful.

Visit site
How to catch a nervous horse in a large field with many others?
Convert to Hinduism or another similar religion; you'll have more gods to pray to that way.

But... being serious, and bearing mind I have NOT read the whole thread, make a small corral in one corner and herd him in somehow?

Tagoat

Visit site
Fawaz ….I see you are in Australia, but even there is on this earth. Just wtf are you? Because you're surely not of this planet!
"Squirt him with a super soaker" .... am at an utter loss for words!

Northern

Visit site
Fawaz ….I see you are in Australia, but even there is on this earth. Just wtf are you? Because you're surely not of this planet!

What do you mean? All crazy horse people in Australia run around with super soakers squirting our horses. You don't? Weird... ;)

gallopingby

Visit site
Yes I've sat back and thought exactly that - I've not once asked about vaccinations, trimming his feet etc. how to tame him in the long run, or judgement on my yards isolation procedures etc.
I shouldn't have to justify his past - I am not responsible for it regardless of what it is nor had any control.
I deliberately left detail out out as I didn't want it to go off topic, but I've spent my whole time trying to explain why, the how's etc.
I think we are going to try the corning technique, it's worth a try anyway :)

I've spent years on here under another login, but can't even remember my user name and no longer have the email account so can't even reset. But I do know the forum really well and agree it used to be really nice and you'd get a straight answer to a straight question.
Still do from some :)

gallopingby

Visit site
This forum used to be friendly with useful information but now it seems to be a place for trolls / school children / people out to make trouble.
Why can’t a simple question get a simple answer? Admittedly some of the questions deserve short and sharp responses but disecting down with a lot of subservient connotations isn’t helping anyone except the keyboard warriors.

fawaz

Visit site

Cattle get run through yards and deloused with a lousing gun which isn't dissimilar to a super soaker? Currently he is as handled as the average beef cow on a cattle station, don't really see the problem?

fawaz

Visit site
The main question is, once you've done one side, how do you get to the other.... ;)

Well I was guessing that what ever the stuff is it is liquid and you pour a line from wither to tail head like the stuff we have here in Australia called Tiguvon (acts sort of like dog/cat spot on treatments), so one squirt down one side surely would do the trick. Seriously though I cannot believe how precious people are, do we not spray horses with hoses, fly repellents, show sheen etc?

fawaz

Visit site
What do you mean? All crazy horse people in Australia run around with super soakers squirting our horses. You don't? Weird... ;)

We would gallop around bareback in a head collar as kids with super soakers, squirting each other and the horses as kids in summer! And it wasn't in an arena or anywhere sensible it was out on the 10,000 acre cattle farm.

fawaz

Visit site
Well of course we do... But not an unhandled youngster whose trust you are trying to gain! :rolleyes:

I completely understand that but the OP had three days to get the horse treated, really with no facilities to even confine the horse safely (a hot tape yard is NOT a safe option for an unhandled horse as many have mentioned above). Desperate times desperate measures. Would have been much worse trying to load the horse on a float in the 20 acre paddock, when she was told to leave immediately after not getting it treated.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well I was guessing that what ever the stuff is it is liquid and you pour a line from wither to tail head like the stuff we have here in Australia called Tiguvon (acts sort of like dog/cat spot on treatments), so one squirt down one side surely would do the trick. Seriously though I cannot believe how precious people are, do we not spray horses with hoses, fly repellents, show sheen etc?

It is liquid,
it doesn't work as a pour/spot on- we don't have any of those licensed for equine use.
you do actually need to cover the whole horse and with anything thicker than a TB summer coat you need to rub it into the roots of the coat.

It's nothing about being precious, it's about actually getting close enough for long enough to spray the horse for full coverage. Perhaps you should have checked what the product and it's application actually was before making assumptions and posting?