Catching/headcollaring a nervous yearling

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Iv found a yearling that I really like and the price reflects the fact that all you can do is stratch her in the field but nobody can headcollar her even with Sedalin as she's quite a big girl and out powers us. Any tips? There's nowhere to bring them into, just acres and acres of fields that they roam, was bred in the field. Can the vet sadate heavy so we could handle her? But they wouldn't be able to get a vein I doubt but is there any muscle sedative does anybody know? Just seeing what's available before I give up on the idea really

Ruth17

Visit site
I think you would need to do ground work with her so she trusts you. Sticking a needle in her is going to do the opposite and might make things worse. You could try a calmer in her feed but I would suggest you try to build a relationship with her

hayinamanger

Visit site
A vet can only sedate i/v, and the filly would obviously need to be restrained for this, so not really an option.

Are any of the horses in the field handled or rideable? I have seen a group of riders herd an unhandled youngster this way, closing ranks and keeping the colt within the riders, it actually worked well. They rode a distance of about a mile to a breaking yard at first light.

Worth looking into if you really like the filly, can't see how else she can be moved.

Arizahn

Visit site
If you can scratch her, then could you stand and scratch her and drape a leadrope over her withers? And then encourage her to walk with you with the leadrope loosely draped around her lower neck - obviously not tied or looped, just both ends of it held in front of her chest! And then get her slowly used to you rubbing her neck and eventually her head with a headcollar? And eventually to having the headcollar put on?

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Thanks guys.
Tbh I was a bit shocked when I went to view her, it's a set up where all horses run together, none are handled and ages range from foal to old horses, all breeding and interbreeding. You have to watch your back else you have a colt trying to serve you!! It really is horrid and the owner didnt hold back at all to say how many times the RSPCA has been out and that the older horses feet have never been done, you could see. I know its one of those " well if u buy then your encouraging it" but none are advertised, she don't normal sell just breeds and adds more each year to a semi wild herd. All the mares were heavy in foal but this youngster just took my fancy so I found out about her and basically if I want her, have her for a small fee so would like to give her a home before she ends up a breeding machine but if I can't catch her I can't. The owner only goes up every so often so not willing to help and with work and my horses I can't spend to long up there working on her, only weekends if I did. I can't get a rope round her neck, I tried alsorts yesterday but she's just a little nervous, in fact when I left she followed me for a while as she knew treats were in my pockets but unless I can get something on her I don't see the point in taking a trailer there as it would be a waste of time. I could itch her all over by the end but nothing was allowed on her or around her as she just panicked. Don't know what to do. Sedalin wise she had 1.5 turns but It done nothing for her. She put it in her mouth like a treat and I just squirted it in. |o| left her alone for 40 mins but nothing.
Why people let things like this happen is beyond me but I would love to give this filly a home and a life

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Why oh why do people bred horses and not touch them. Personally I would walk away from that filly especially given the wording of 'out powers us'. Remember foals follow their dam in temperament and mimic the dams behaviour during their time together. Do you have any knowledge of the dam and her temperament/ridden ability.

There are plenty of good breeders that will sell you a well raised mannerly yearling that you can enjoy.

I speak from experience of the handled yearling, I have one and it is not easy.

NoCollection

Visit site
I would walk away from that filly

I completely agree with this. This filly sounds like she could give you a lifetime of problems. If you do take her, then she would do best in a small herd with some adult mares - can you give her this lifestyle? The mares will teach her some manners as quick as a flash, and if the filly can watch the mares being handled then the whole idea of headcollars etc will come easier to her. Don't forget that she needs to be passported before you buy her.

WelshD

Visit site
I'm going t be brave and in the nicest possible way say 'if you are not sure how to go about this perhaps the filly isn't right for you'

I'm going to back that up with my experience, very similar situation except my colt was already headcollared when he arrived, he got this off and we got another one on under sedation, its only now about 18 months later that I can get a headcollar on and off without problems. I used the excuse of him 'being left to grow up' to hide my cluelessness and am only properly tackling things now - the trouble is he is bigger and stronger now!

I would say if you want this filly and you have all the back up you need would be to seek advice from the vet regarding the Sedalin, my 11hh pony needed a third of a tube minimum before I could do anything with him

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I agree with AA look for something else it's so hard buying one that won't even have a head collar on, my 2 year old colt was heaven when we bought him he had been brushed bathed feet done he was so easy to handle.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've had a bunch of young ponies that have never been handled and with plenty of quiet patience they soon come round, especially weanlings that have known nothing but being with their mother on the hills. 'No fear, no force' has some really good tips in it.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hopefully OP is not still trying to catch a 7yo...

Ha ha, 7 years into 'Ted the Twit' saga, I still have days when I can't catch the little wotsit. Mostly recently last week with the farrier leaning on the barn gate whilst Ted did a rodeo around me in the barn.