Catching my youngster with a head collar in a field 24/7 turn out.

Hexan

Visit site
Today me and my young horse took a major step back 😥😔 he got into the summer paddock which is still meant to be resting and I tried to catch him but he kept running away, he’s NEVER done this (only takes a step or two back, or lifts his head, before letting me put the head collar on) and I know because it’s the sweet grass, but then I flicked the head collar around, to see if running him off would work… as I was told that normally works, but it’s totally wrong… he wouldn’t even let me go near him with a head collar and lead rope… he sprint it down the field. (Luckily my mum was able to get hers quickly without a fuss) and giving himself the sweat… I’ve never cried so much in my life, I was there for nearly two hours, before I asked my mum to try and catch him and if he wasn’t looking into the other field where the other horses were and inbetween hedges my mum probably wouldn’t of even been able to catch his nose with the head collar to bring him in… he’s literally out 24/7 and gets tied to the gate when we’re grooming etc or doing bit or roller work… there’s no small spaces I could try and get him into and I don’t really want to run him off again… I’m honestly tossing and turning tonight that I just needed to write this post and ask for help… how can I get him used to the head collar again? How can I gain some trust back? What can I do in 24/7 turnout? I’m so disheartened by this, it’s really demotivating me to go up and see him tomorrow and try and catch him… because I’ll end up getting stressed and bawling my eyes out, as we were just doing so well up until today… he’s just turned 3 at the end of March… ANY help and advice is appreciated 😔

Jambarissa

Visit site
Don't assume he has a issue with the headcollar because of a single incident, he'll probably be fine tomorrow.

Is he in a field with another horse and will want to come in when they do? That's always useful. Fencing off a smaller area for a little while is also useful.

The real question is what so you do with him after you catch him? Why would he prefer to be caught than be in a field full of grass? For most horses it's the promise of a feed, make sure a feed is ALWAYS waiting in his stable for him, don't bring him in then get feed.

So catch, feed, put straight back out for a while. Possibly even catch, feed at the gate and let go again.

Abacus

Visit site
If possible leave the headcollar on in the field. You can even leave a short length of twine plaited into it (a short lead rope) to make catching easier and as others have said use feed, and put him in a smaller area if you can. Spend time going up to him in the field with a treat, give him a pet and a scratch, and walk away. He needs to know you aren’t always catching him, and he needs to want to be near you when you walk into the field. Be patient, it’ll be fine. Don’t ever get cross and fling things around or chase him.

Use a safe headcollar - leather or one that will break if necessary. But do put it on fairly tightly so that he doesn’t just rub it off, they do learn to do this.

Hexan

Visit site
Don't assume he has a issue with the headcollar because of a single incident, he'll probably be fine tomorrow.

Is he in a field with another horse and will want to come in when they do? That's always useful. Fencing off a smaller area for a little while is also useful.

The real question is what so you do with him after you catch him? Why would he prefer to be caught than be in a field full of grass? For most horses it's the promise of a feed, make sure a feed is ALWAYS waiting in his stable for him, don't bring him in then get feed.

So catch, feed, put straight back out for a while. Possibly even catch, feed at the gate and let go again.
I just really hope that he will be fine, because he’s still young etc… he broke into the summer grass with my mums mare, they both ran off for a bit, but my mum was able to catch hers and then when I tried to catch him with the head collar, he’d normally stop and let me. But he was sprinting around like a lunatic and wouldn’t let me go near him..

When I catch him I’m either giving him a fuss or groom, going for a hand graze, going for a inhand walk or doing some ground work and tack work. I switch it up every time with the work.

Thank you I probably will just have to try and gain the trust back, if he doesn’t let me catch him today… as he’s in 24hour turn out, should I just leave him alone for a few days? Or would you find leaving him alone would actually make this worse?

Abacus

Visit site
Are you able to take any others out so that he is alone? And then go in with feed and test his response - if he comes to you great. Feed him, pat him and let him go. If not leave the feed down, walk away to a good distance and wait. You may have to repeat over some days until he starts coming to you with the feed.

sunnyone

Visit site
I tend to approach the horse gently, put my arms around their neck and then slip a rope which was in my jacket pocket around said neck. Only then do I produce the head collar and put it on. Once fastened they can have a small treat as a reward.
Personally I tend to approach every day if they are in 24 hour turn out as I want to rub my hands over them to check for ticks. Both of my current two will stand and be groomed without being attached in any way but with previous animals it's sometimes taken 3 hours to just get near. Persistence is key .

Hexan

Visit site
Are you able to take any others out so that he is alone? And then go in with feed and test his response - if he comes to you great. Feed him, pat him and let him go. If not leave the feed down, walk away to a good distance and wait. You may have to repeat over some days until he starts coming to you with the feed.
No he isn’t alone he’s out with 6 other horses and a 10 month foal, our corral is also all fallen down and one of the other girls who rents the land with me has all the tools, so it’s not like I can even fix it and get him into a smaller space unfortunately. They’re all out on 24/7 turnout as well so it’s quite hard to even try and get time alone, as they’re all quite affectionate and all want attention 🤣🙈 but yes thank you! I’ll definitely try this and only give him a feed only, like yesterday after it happened and I let him go again he was quite happy to stay with me, let me touch him etc but as soon as that head collar raised he backed away. I’m hoping today will be different and he will I may just give him a feed and while he’s eating maybe try and put a field safety headcollar on to make it easier?

Hexan

Visit site
He escaped into the summer grass and had a good laugh at your expense. We’ve all been there!!

I really wouldn’t overthink this or take it personally 💐
Thank you I really needed to hear this… I’m crossing fingers today is a new day 🤍🙏🏼 if not I’ll just give him a feed and try put a field safely halter on, so I can just grab him as once he’s in one he’s absolutely fine 🙏🏼

Hexan

Visit site
If possible leave the headcollar on in the field. You can even leave a short length of twine plaited into it (a short lead rope) to make catching easier and as others have said use feed, and put him in a smaller area if you can. Spend time going up to him in the field with a treat, give him a pet and a scratch, and walk away. He needs to know you aren’t always catching him, and he needs to want to be near you when you walk into the field. Be patient, it’ll be fine. Don’t ever get cross and fling things around or chase him.

Use a safe headcollar - leather or one that will break if necessary. But do put it on fairly tightly so that he doesn’t just rub it off, they do learn to do this.
Thank you, I was thinking today I’ll bring a field safety halter to put on him but all in the name he can easily get it off, so I think I may have to go with the head collar, when I go up today to feed I’ll try and put the field safety halter on first, then I have something to hold his head with so I’ll slowly put the head collar on then and take the FSH off. Because he’ll let me give him a fuss, just won’t let me put the head collar on, crossing fingers today… because I just feel so demotivated now… but thank you for you multiple comments I really do appreciate the advice

Hexan

Visit site
Thank you, I was thinking today I’ll bring a field safety halter to put on him but all in the name he can easily get it off, so I think I may have to go with the head collar, when I go up today to feed I’ll try and put the field safety halter on first, then I have something to hold his head with so I’ll slowly put the head collar on then and take the FSH off. Because he’ll let me give him a fuss, just won’t let me put the head collar on, crossing fingers today… because I just feel so demotivated now… but thank you for you multiple comments I really do appreciate the advice
It’s also not like there’s anything for him to catch the head collar on either, as it’s all hedges apart from the semi fallen down corral x

Landcruiser

Visit site
Honestly, it's nothing to do with the headcollar. He's just kicked up his heels and is loving the fresh grass, plus he's a teenager. Once you get hold of him he'll be as he was - except he may have turned into a horse that has realised he can leg it, so I'd want to nip that in the bud.
What you tried to do initially is send him away with the headcollar, which is the first stage of "walking him down", which is a pretty solid way of teaching horses that it's not worth expending energy running off and thus letting themselves be caught. Unfortunately you didn't follow through, so he's learned the opposite in this instance. It's not your fault, we've all been there...walking a horse down can be very time consuming and has to be planned for, it's not something you should start without having time and determination to follow through to the end, as long as it takes. Multiple hours, even, especially in a large field.
My suggestion would be to try to contain him in a smaller area if you can, but whatever happens, make sure you have lots of time to keep him moving and not settle to graze until he's ready to be caught. Do your research first. When caught, be matter of fact, do pleasant things and make it a positive experience. I wouldn't use food to lure him personally, although feeding him once caught is fine.

Something like this. Low energy persistence is key. Good luck.

Hexan

Visit site
I tend to approach the horse gently, put my arms around their neck and then slip a rope which was in my jacket pocket around said neck. Only then do I produce the head collar and put it on. Once fastened they can have a small treat as a reward.
Personally I tend to approach every day if they are in 24 hour turn out as I want to rub my hands over them to check for ticks. Both of my current two will stand and be groomed without being attached in any way but with previous animals it's sometimes taken 3 hours to just get near. Persistence is key .
Yes he does get approached every day, we have four friends renting a field together, (including me) so if it’s not me it’s someone else to give him a feed. But if the feeding technique doesn’t work, I’ll definitely try this! Thank you 🙏🏼

Hexan

Visit site
Honestly, it's nothing to do with the headcollar. He's just kicked up his heels and is loving the fresh grass, plus he's a teenager. Once you get hold of him he'll be as he was - except he may have turned into a horse that has realised he can leg it, so I'd want to nip that in the bud.
What you tried to do initially is send him away with the headcollar, which is the first stage of "walking him down", which is a pretty solid way of teaching horses that it's not worth expending energy running off and thus letting themselves be caught. Unfortunately you didn't follow through, so he's learned the opposite in this instance. It's not your fault, we've all been there...walking a horse down can be very time consuming and has to be planned for, it's not something you should start without having time and determination to follow through to the end, as long as it takes. Multiple hours, even, especially in a large field.
My suggestion would be to try to contain him in a smaller area if you can, but whatever happens, make sure you have lots of time to keep him moving and not settle to graze until he's ready to be caught. Do your research first. When caught, be matter of fact, do pleasant things and make it a positive experience. I wouldn't use food to lure him personally, although feeding him once caught is fine.

Something like this. Low energy persistence is key. Good luck.

Thank you so much for this! I was there for 2 hours but got nothing, so eventually I walked away and asked my mum to do it as I was getting more frustrated, luckily she cornered him in the hedges and was able to slip the head collar on.. I walked him out of the feild then outside and tied him up, took a minute or two and pretended I was making his feed, gave him a little groom and a small fuss. Took him to hand graze then put him back, gave him a catch and tried to catch him again put he wasn’t having any of it… hopefully all this amazing advice works.

I honestly thought by shooing him away with the head collar made him worse as he would just run away from me… it was so frustrating and upset I cried all the way home and just tried when for ages when I went to bed, I don’t know how I’m a wake at the moment… just so tired but I couldn’t stop tossing and turning just thinking I’ll never be able to catch him again :(

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I think where you went wrong was using the headcollar to shoo him away. Try just going out with a lead rope looped unobtrusively over your arm or in your pocket and slip that round his neck. I have always put the rope round my horse's neck before attempting to put the headcollar on. The only exception is my sister's mare who used to be scared of the rope but would put her nose into a headcollar.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
When horses first go out in summer they often won't be caught for days, just get a field safe head collar and leave it on him and maybe take some discreet treats catch him treat him then let him go, he won't associate you catching him with being taken away off the grass then.

Burnerbee

Visit site
Subscribe to the Clever Cowgirl on Youtube. She’s not an influencer, she’s without doubt THE best horsewoman I’ve ever come across. In this situation, where a horse is mucking about, she’d leave them to it - getting into a ‘chase’ situation is too stressful and unproductive for all concerned. And she knows many of her horses can tell from a mile off if she’s stressed and they will play up accordingly.

Palindrome

Visit site
I often use treats, it makes life simpler. At first I give a treat every time they put their nose in the headcollar, after a bit they get a treat once in a while.
Some horses don't want to be caught no matter how long you chase them for 😂.

honetpot

Visit site
When I see someone trying to catch a horse the most common mistake is approaching from the front, I walk towards them looking as if I am going to walk past them and do not look at them. When almost up to them I go to their shoulder and give them a rub, perhaps half a carrot, and put the rope over their neck. Unless they are really being a pain you can get the head collar head piece around their neck, for a bit of control, and then slide the nose peice over their nose. Its perhaps the only time I hand treat for them to stand, and use the word stand.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Use a leather headcollar, if you can, as they are more likely to break if caught on something.

Please don't tie to the gate - I used to do this with my ponies and did it with my new horse. And he cantered off across the field with the gate swinging in front of him. Luckily the headcollar broke.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Put a leather headcollar on him and leave it on. Otherwise, fence off a smaller area of the field until you can nail it. Ive had ones in the past bad to catch, Id literally go out poo picking with a pile of treats in my pocket. If you make the fenced off area small enough, eventually theyll usually wonder over to you. When they do, give them a treat. Make it fun for them to be around you. Then Id build up to popping rope over neck, then headcollar on etc. They soon get the idea. I wouldnt be overly upset about it, some horses just seem to go through a phase of it usually early on. One of mine can be a little funny to catch, if shes feeling firey that day then I can see a mile off she'll be bad to catch so I'll simply go over and fetch her field buddy and take him up to the stables for a groom. She'll follow very soon after!

Hexan

Visit site
I think where you went wrong was using the headcollar to shoo him away. Try just going out with a lead rope looped unobtrusively over your arm or in your pocket and slip that round his neck. I have always put the rope round my horse's neck before attempting to put the headcollar on. The only exception is my sister's mare who used to be scared of the rope but would put her nose into a headcollar.
No definitely lesson learnt I won’t be doing that ever again, I’ll just push him on with my hands next time, it’s a less scary movement. Luckily my friend and her boyfriend come up the next day and as I was making the feeds for him and the other horses, my friends boyfriend caught him with a lead rope and wrapped it around his nose and head, which I was then able to give him lots and lots of treats after 🥰 even had the chance to have a little sit in him for the first time ever! 🥹 I then caught him today on my own with the field safety head collar

Hexan

Visit site
Use a leather headcollar, if you can, as they are more likely to break if caught on something.

Please don't tie to the gate - I used to do this with my ponies and did it with my new horse. And he cantered off across the field with the gate swinging in front of him. Luckily the headcollar broke.
I’m so sorry to hear this and I hope your baby is okay, unfortunately with the corral all broken down at the moment I don’t have any where else to put him, there’s a gate we cannot open which seems to be sturdy so far. I’m hoping we can get the corral up and running in the next week or two because they’ll be going into their summer grass so next winter will be better hopefully 🤞🏼

Hexan

Visit site
When horses first go out in summer they often won't be caught for days, just get a field safe head collar and leave it on him and maybe take some discreet treats catch him treat him then let him go, he won't associate you catching him with being taken away off the grass then.
Thank you for this, 2 days ago my friends boyfriend was able to catch him and put the lead rope around his head, I was later able to put a field safety head collar and it stayed on thank god 😍 so thank god yesterday when I went up I was able to catch him, but he wasn’t as flighty as he was in the day of the incident. He got loads of treats each time, once he’s actually allowed to go on the summer grass 🙈 I will be letting him enjoy it for a few days won’t even touch him— well actually that’s a lie, I’m going to only catch him in the evenings after work, to feed him as he is only 3 and I don’t want to hinder his growth by not feeding and also gives him more of summer to enjoy the grass and it to last longer

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My old horse once out 24-7 wouldn't be caught for about 2 weeks so I just left her and then she would walk to the gate when she saw me and then be fine after that.

Hexan

Visit site
My old horse once out 24-7 wouldn't be caught for about 2 weeks so I just left her and then she would walk to the gate when she saw me and then be fine after that.
Thank you for your reply, luckily my friends boyfriend caught him with treats as me and my friend fed the other horses and foal, he now has a field safety head collar on and the day after he was okay to catch. I didn’t see him today, but after work tomorrow I’ll be doing the same as I did yesterday x

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Oh I could have written this. Every time we move to a new field, Dave says "No ta!" when I go to fetch him in. He just keeps a distance between us, nothing dramatic, but it's so annoying! It's literally "Why should I? Look at this grass & my friends!" He usually gives in after about 20 mins of walking & the first time I bring him in for a feed & put him back out.
Hope you get sorted.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I had a young horse go through a phase of not wanting to be caught and he was rather herd bound. His love of all things food is ultimately what helped. He'd always get a small snack, usually after I did something with him, before going back out. So he soon became easy to catch because the snack was appealing. One day I stopped with the snack, and he was fine ever since. He had plenty of grass and hay outside, but he absolutely loved all things in pellet form 😂

Peglo

Visit site
When my old TB escaped into a field of long grass I just had to leave her until she ate herself into a food coma and couldn’t run 😂 she was never at risk of being overweight but I don’t think I would’ve caught her anyway. She managed it several times. 🙄

Hexan

Visit site
I had a young horse go through a phase of not wanting to be caught and he was rather herd bound. His love of all things food is ultimately what helped. He'd always get a small snack, usually after I did something with him, before going back out. So he soon became easy to catch because the snack was appealing. One day I stopped with the snack, and he was fine ever since. He had plenty of grass and hay outside, but he absolutely loved all things in pellet form 😂
My boy is the same! 🤣 he’s so foodie it’s unreal! The next day as I was making the feeds and feeding the other horses, in that time my friends horses were able to get him, for 3 days after he had a field safety head collar on so he was much easier to catch. But I was bringing treats with me and when he came to me, he would get a treat and then when I put the lead rope over his neck, then when he let me put the head collar on. Unfortunately he still won’t let me put the head collar on first, but I totally understand where he’s coming from, but at soon as I have the lead rope around his neck he lets me catch him, so I really can’t ask anything more from him! As he’s 3 and for about a week, looked really gangly and having a growth spurt so I’ve been giving him two feeds a day as he has haylage and a feed in the evening since. I’m really grateful he’s letting me catching him even if it’s not with the head collar straight away. So glad I’m not the only one!