Catlips Farm sad news

JoannaC

Visit site
I know a lot of you had the pleasure of frequenting the shop at Catlips and others like me had the privilege to keep their ponies there for many years. Sadly Sheila passed away at the weekend at the age of 93 after having a stroke. Sheila was the ultimate horse woman, she had forgotten more than most of us will ever know about horses and helped so many people in many ways. It was a privilege to have spent my childhood in the 80's as well as my adult years at Catlips until I moved to Staffordshire and to have learnt so much and not just about horses. She was still running the shop and up and down those stairs, what an inspiration. Truly the end of an era and a real legend. Rest in peace Sheila you deserve a rest now.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I'm really sad to hear that news, but thanks very much for posting to let us know. I was at school with Sheila's daughter Amanda, like her mother an accomplished horsewoman. Visiting Catlips Farm to buy more things for my horse was a big part of my life when I was school-aged and later. It had such a unique appeal. I think it's very hard to describe it to someone who hadn't been, but it was such a goldmine of amazing new and used horse and rider wear - and wonderful advice given freely.
I think of all the things I bought from there, my used Stubben Parzival dressage and GP saddles were my star buys, and fitted the horse I had at the time like a glove, as Sheila said they would!
RIP Sheila, such a kind, down to earth, and knowledgeable lady. ?

Last edited:

maya2008

Visit site
Most amazing lady, I turned up at Catlips in 2003 needing tack for my new horse and she just asked what height/breed, looked at my bent coat hanger for a wither tracing and went off for a little while. She returned with everything I needed - saddle, bridle, girth, stirrup leathers, stirrups, bit… all exactly the right size. When my young horse changed shape as she grew, I would just pop back and part exchange the current saddle for a new one.

About ten years after that, I had a pony we could not find anything to fit. Took her to Sheila, who spent a good hour looking through her supply of saddles until she found the oldest (but still functional) saddle ever - that fit!!! Sold the saddle with the pony eventually as nothing else ever even half fit.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Very sad news ?. Catlips was certainly a unique experience that is difficult to explain to those not fortunate enough ever to have been able to visit. My favourite purchase there was a beautiful quality keepers tweed jacket for about £20. RIP Sheila.

That reminds me! I needed a "new" hacking jacket when I was school age, so Mum picked up an old green Harris Tweed herringbone jacket at the PC jumble sale! With mum's help, I relined the jacket and added a green velvet collar, which looked much smarter (I thought anyway!) When I'd outgrown said jacket, Sheila very kindly took it as part exchange against a new jacket. Over the years I then saw three or four different riders sporting that green jacket, it was very distinctive! It's so different to today where things rarely get recycled/upcycled.
Thanks Sheila, a really amazing lady!

misst

Visit site
I remember taking my daughter there on a recommendation when we bought our first pony. I wondered what on earth I had walked into. Needless to say we got everything we needed at a sensible price. The best bit, as everyone said, was that you could take things back and part exchange them when the pony/child grew out of them. She was a force to behold when asked for something. RIP amazing lady.

AlinFaolan

Visit site
JoannaC thank you for posting this, very sad news Sheila was a wonderful person always ready to help out, had the pleasure of frequenting Catlips for many years up to moving away from the area seven years ago. The second hand rug room was something else! Rest in peace Sheila, one of a kind.

fairyclare

Visit site
I sadly lost my horse of a lifetime last week, very soon after my friend texted me to say Shelia had passed away.

When I first bought that horse I could not get a saddle to fit her for love nor money, Shelia sorted us out and I was able to start riding my new horse!
Over the years I had so many saddles through Catlips, trade one in, get one that fitted in return.

As a child it was possibly one of my favourite places to go.

Sheila was an amazing lady and I am absolutely blown away to hear that she was still running that gold mine aged 93! What a legend.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Gosh I remember going to Catlips last year and having a long chat with her, and been going there since the 80's.

Gosh it really has been a shitty two weeks.

First my mother past away on the 14 th July now Sheila - did not know her actual age but my mum was 97 years old and it is going to be emotional going to her funeral on Monday.

Can imagine lots will go to Sheila funeral as she was loved by so many. Wonder what will happen to catlips now.

JoannaC

Visit site
Gosh I remember going to Catlips last year and having a long chat with her, and been going there since the 80's.

Gosh it really has been a shitty two weeks.

First my mother past away on the 14 th July now Sheila - did not know her actual age but my mum was 97 years old and it is going to be emotional going to her funeral on Monday.

Can imagine lots will go to Sheila funeral as she was loved by so many. Wonder what will happen to catlips now.

So sorry for your loss but what a great age x

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
End of an era. What an amazing woman who so many of us have fond and funny memories of. Most of us tried climbing up the top of rug mountain at some point ? Going up all those stairs just to grab a pair of martingale stoppers… o how all of us wanted a sneaky peak up there! Had some cracking stories of past times and honoured to have listened to a few. Sending much love to Sheila’s family and friends who will definitely feel a massive loss. RIP Sheila. X

Northern Hare

Visit site
I sadly lost my horse of a lifetime last week, very soon after my friend texted me to say Shelia had passed away.

When I first bought that horse I could not get a saddle to fit her for love nor money, Shelia sorted us out and I was able to start riding my new horse!
Over the years I had so many saddles through Catlips, trade one in, get one that fitted in return.

As a child it was possibly one of my favourite places to go.

Sheila was an amazing lady and I am absolutely blown away to hear that she was still running that gold mine aged 93! What a legend.

Really sorry to read you lost your horse last week. It's a very sad time, especially when they've been part of your life for a long time. ?