Cats Fowling

TheFox

Visit site
As the title might suggest I have a rather non horse related issue.

After the inital excitment of moving into my new house, I am not motified to find the local cats class my garden as there own personal toilet!!!!!

Now I'm not against having cats in pottering around the garden, however when there leaving little presents, in which my lovely JR proceeds to roll into my carpets :(, I believe action must be taken to correct the.

All/any suggestions as to how to stop the little blitters leaving me gifts would be great, obviously as humanly as possible.

Cookies for everyone.....
Mrs_T :D

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'll lend you my sister's cat. She's very clean herself and she will slaughter any other cat that she meets. :D That's my problem (trying to stop her killing the three cats that she lives with) and your problem neatly solved. :p

ETA. She may eat the JR. :(

scrunchie

Visit site
Cats are difficult. I'm surprised your JR hasn't scared them off.

There is special stuff out there you can shake on your lawn (I think it contains lion's wee???) which is supposed to deter them. We didn't find it partcularly effective though.

In the end we decided, if you can't beat them - join them, and got ourselves a neutured tom cat. He kept all the other cats out of the garden. I didn't mind cleaning up after him so much. In fact, I think he was using everyone elses gardens. :D

indie999

Visit site
Water pistol(one of those high powered ones)...hose the ground wet if they are using dusty soil...the favourite usually. Saucepan water over them or hose etc etc

Big dog or little dog! Jack russells are very good. Dog would be my choice of ammunition.

indie999

Visit site
Another thing they wont touch are chickens! My chickens round up on cats and they usually exit the garden fast with the old hens in pack formation!

TheFox

Visit site
I'm surprised your JR hasn't scared them off.

The JR is unfortunately:
A) Rather fond of following cats around like a sheep
B) Is very lazy
C) Dislikes going outside in the winter

All the above lead to a free for all toilet session :(

I have heard Lion wee/poo was effective, now I just need to find myself a willing Lion :D

SpruceRI

Visit site
I tried various cat repellents bought from pet shops, what a waste of money!

My neighbours' cat uses my freshly dug flowerbeds for his toiletting.... one of the beds is under my living room window and ooh, the pong!

When the plants all die down I cover the beds in fine netting and pin it all down.... Mr Cat doesn't so much use the flower beds once they're full of plants.

Though if all else failed I was going to put electric fence round my under-the-window flower bed, much to my neighbours amusement! They were just glad their cat didn't stink out their own garden!

LouandBee

Visit site
We used to sprinkle pepper all over the flower beds - seemed to work. Now however we have our own cat who seems to keep all the others away and conveniantley she doesn't seem to poop in our garden...must use some poor other persons.

rossiroo

Visit site
My neighbours cat used to wee all over my hay bales (the large round ones !) I was told to put orange peel on top and around the bale, it worked a treat the cat never did it again,

Shantara

Visit site
I also agree with lion poo/wee (I forget which one) but my cat used to sit on my windowsill at 5am and meow as loud as she could. We put some of that stuff on there and she no longer does it.

ladyt25

Visit site
See, this is what really irks me about cats and cat owners. Why is it acceptable for cats to ***** (replace *** word with poo) in people's gardens? If your dog went roaming and ***** everywhere you'd be for it. I am sure people wouldn't stand for dogs coming into their gardens, doing their business and b*ggering off.

I have a few cats that have roamed in to my garden as they seen the guinea pigs and try have a pop. I have shouted at them myself and for the main I think I have scared them. However, with spring coming I am pretty sure I am likely to find they have messed in the garden when i set about sorting it out a bit. I do hope the acquisition of my dog will keep them at bay though - she has a mouth on her and likes the sound of her voice! :) I shall be letting her out at anytime I see a cat from now on and with any lucky they will learn.

I am by no means a cat hater (we have a stable cat - no neighbours in the vicinity) but I don't want their ***** in my garden!!!

Wobblywibble

Visit site
We have same problem with next door's cat. It's deaf so sonic deterrents do not work.

Best solution - electric thing that squirts water at it, motion sensitive but no good if it freezes.

Second best - Silent Roar, kind of pellets that you scatter. Clogs up the lawn mower something chronic. Works.

Third best - cat repellant spray from B & Q. Smells foul (but better than cat poo) and needs constant reapplication after rain or heavy dew. Expensive.

Fourth best - most satisfying but rarely achieved, throwing ajug of cold water over the bloody thing whilst in action from an upstairs window.

SpruceRI

Visit site
So what do I do about dogs fouling?

A 'lovely' dog walker allows their dog to deposit on the verge outside my house. Must be a big dog as poos are huge! And there's now about 6 piles!

Anyway, I was wondering, if I were to sprinkle something hot and strong smelling (like chilli powder) in the grass, would it avert the dog?

I don't want to kill the grass - or the cats!!!!

Tiffany

Visit site
We had the same problem and tried most things to stop them but the only thing that worked is a product called 'Get off'. It's a green gel with a strong smell and I can only presume it's a revolting smell to cats?

Can buy it on internet and some garden centres.

TheFox

Visit site
Anyway, I was wondering, if I were to sprinkle something hot and strong smelling (like chilli powder) in the grass, would it avert the dog?

What a lovely responsible dog owner they are... Having looked into the chilli powder/cayanne pepper suggestion, reviews suggest that it causes a itching sensation, that can trigger allergies in both animals and humans :(. It also seems to be one of the most expensive ways to tackle the issue, with it having to be sprinkled every day until the animal creates a assocation, obviously in heavy wind and rain it may be more frequent.

RE the cat suituation I'm steering towards the Lion wee/poo, just slightly concerned regarding any odours it may produce, especially coming into the bbq session :D

autumn7

Visit site
Cats are supposedly deterred by citrus fruit peel. Maybe worth becoming an excessive orange eater?? Never tried it myself as we live out in the sticks and own seven cats who roam the local fields so not a problem.

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
Far too many cats roaming about day and night, leaving their mess and killing everything that moves. Most of them are meant to be pets so why are so many out day and night, annoying other people by doing the above and having to find refuge where they are not always welcome? Fed up with them sleeping on my garden furniture, in my porch, coming in open windows etc. I've tried most deterrents with limited success but have not tried the 'getting your male friends to wee around the garden perimeter' trick. Anyone (who will admit to trying it) had success with this?

adamntitch

Visit site
a little known fact is cats are covered by the same laws so if you know who owns the cat you can ask them to keep it out your garden after all it is there animal and also there resposiblaty to keep them under control

if there dont you can report them for allowing there animal in your garden

touchstone

Visit site
a little known fact is cats are covered by the same laws so if you know who owns the cat you can ask them to keep it out your garden after all it is there animal and also there resposiblaty to keep them under control

if there dont you can report them for allowing there animal in your garden

I don't believe that this is the case, it is only if they are causing injury to persons or damage to property that action can be taken, and as it tends to be pretty rare that a cat will attack somebody it tends not to be something many councils will act upon. You can't control a cat in the same way you can control a dog.

You can't stop cats coming in to your garden, but can discourage them. Prickly twigs laid in the borders help and planting the borders up quite heavily is a good option. My concern about using lion poo would be that your dog would find it even more attractive that the cat poo!

Luci07

Visit site
Or an easy option. Borrow some dogs who WILL chase the cats. My road has a lot of cats and thanks to the efforts of my dogs. Not one steps foot in my garden. Ever. Front of the house is different as I have gravel and they seem to love that but we have had some ( genuinely accidental) near misses with my dogs so that has reduced the incidents. Plus is that I have a lot of birds now in my garden, negative is they now try to climb over my conservatory which freaked me out. Sounded like someone was trying to get in!. Re the owners who let their dogs deposit on the pavement.. I would stick a large sign up saying its illegal (it is) and to warn that these area is now being filmed to find the owner....

M_G

Visit site
water down some jeys fluid in a watering can and water everywhere they go to the loo... They hate the smell and soon go find somewhere else to poo

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Your dog should be enough to act as a deterrent. Just make sure she's out and about in the garden often. That way the cats will soon get the message.