Cattle trailer for horses

JBM

Visit site
Hi,

I currently have no horse box but really need to get my horse some new shoes. The only way I can transport her is in a cattle trailer with straw bedding to reduce the noise (as the loud metal can spook her) it’s only a 15 minute drive to the farriers but she’s 16hh and the trailer is 6 feet heigh so a little short for her but I’ve had her stand in the trailer with some oats for awhile and she seemed okie. Any advice?

PurBee

Visit site
I personally wouldn’t risk it if the rattling scares her and she can’t raise her neck, so if she freaks she cant naturally raise her head fully and she’s liable to whack her head and freak herself out more...? You know her best but its one thing for them to be chilled out in a still trailer, yet become a freaky loon once it gets moving.

If the farrier is only 15mins away, why can’t they visit you, if its ok for you to visit them? Covid measures can be in place at either location, farriery is considered essential services too...?

If current farrier wont come to you and you cant borrow a large enough safer trailer, maybe ring around to find a farrier who is doing covid-compliant home/yard visits.

whirlwind

Visit site
I’ve travelled ponies in one no probs but that was with mats down and they had plenty of head room (as much as our 16.1hh does in our 511!) but I wouldn’t in this case.

JBM

Visit site
Thanks guys. The current farrier won’t come out he says we are to far but I’ll ring around a few more and see. Not sure if I would be allowed to lead her there as the farrier is set up in the middle of town and would be about an hour walk but thank you very much I know that’s not a safe option now!

Luxgood

Visit site
Hi Kate and Judy,
I now have a horse box, but years ago when I was a child and I got a pony we went everywhere with the two cow trailer. We never had any problems. Very quiet pony. I think your horse will get used to the noise if brought her on a few short journeys first.
You could get resin boards for the sides of your trailer and that would reduce the noise. They cost about 260 plus vat and you would need to get someone to put them on for you.

Reactions: JBM

conniegirl

Visit site
If you are in the uk then i think its illegal now, you have to have a certain height above the horses wither and the floor must be non slip