Caucasian Shepherd

Koen

Visit site
I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's surprised to find that Koen has a totally different and distinctly opposing level of experience, to everyone else.

Probably. My post being one of only two here who responded and who have actual experience with owning the breed.

I suppose "everyone else's" views here including yours can only be heartily biased by things like heresay and the Daily mail.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I dont have actual experience of them but I know someone who does, she tells me some of the ones over here in the UK are being crossed with Newfoundlands to make them more biddable. We had a long phonecall the other night and she told me she had seen them working in their native countries, she said she would never consider one for working over here purely because its next to impossible to provide what they need here and other breeds are more suitable for our densely populated country. In the right environment they are wonderful dogs but all too often and we have seen it many times people trying to put a round peg into a square hole.

So I suppose you could say the above is hearsay but I believe her, she has a special love for rare and extinct breeds and has travelled and met a lot of these rare breeds and is extremely knowledgable.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Probably. My post being one of only two here who responded and who have actual experience with owning the breed.

I suppose "everyone else's" views here including yours can only be heartily biased by things like heresay and the Daily mail.

There are plenty who own breeds and they are as ignorant of the dog and its needs as those who sold them their puppies and those to whom they in turn sell puppies. I suspect Koen, that you're amongst them.

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
There are plenty who own breeds and they are as ignorant of the dog and its needs as those who sold them their puppies and those to whom they in turn sell puppies. I suspect Koen, that you're amongst them.

Alec.

I think that is a very rude reply, Koen dosnt live in this country and has obviously supplied the right environment for her dog, her account isnt exactly like Alexarts but has similarities, but with any dog regardless of breed you are surely going to get that.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Dobiegirl, I wouldn't worry to much about Koen's sensibilities, courtesy barely features on his list of priorities, judging by some of his other posts! :D

Alec. :cool:

Koen

Visit site
I'd never heard of a caucasian shepherd dog before this thread, but just came across these pictures of one and beautiful! http://www.boredpanda.com/animal-ch...ction_type_map=["og.likes"]&action_ref_map=[]

Thats a lovely lovely picture. Thanks. It's worth sharing, with proper refrences of course.

Yes I imagine they would make extremely good dogs with children. Ours is a first only almost two years old but Cedric shows an incredible kind and gentleness towards him.

If he is in his carry on in the morning sun on the ground the dog lies close by him, his back resting against the cradle not intefering at all. Just looking into the distance, something they do a lot of.

We don't have the slightest fear. I would say (not that I would ever) but he could be trusted with him alone.

There are a lot of variables with a breed like this. If anyone read my earlier post on the subject then you would know my thoughts on that. But I will say again doing your homework is vital. This applies to any dog I suppose.

Koen

Visit site
I dont have actual experience of them but I know someone who does, she tells me some of the ones over here in the UK are being crossed with Newfoundlands to make them more biddable. We had a long phonecall the other night and she told me she had seen them working in their native countries, she said she would never consider one for working over here purely because its next to impossible to provide what they need here and other breeds are more suitable for our densely populated country. In the right environment they are wonderful dogs but all too often and we have seen it many times people trying to put a round peg into a square hole.......

I agree with most of this except the newfoundland bit, personally I think that could be a very big mistake.

Im not being judgmental but anyone who has ever owned a newfoundlander or had anything to do with one will know they aren't the brightest sparks on the block which can be not at all very useful not to mention highly frustrating. Clumsy too, but to say they are stupid is an understatement of epic proportions. Biddable?

I know a breeder from the UK who came and lived in our area, she brought her newfies as she called them with her, horribly unsuitable for our climate but anyway. After she met our boerboel she was so impressed she also imported one from South Africa, our dogs sister. She couldn't believe the difference. She breeds then now and wouldn't touch a newfoundlander again. Boerboels also have an on and off button that is entirely independent of the owner. They do a job which without that switch they would be completely useless of course. Newfoundlanders are not guardian dogs.

I consider based on and I say it again anecdotal evidence as an owner and what I've read that the breed loosely termed Caucasian Shepherd is a rather intelligent dog and also extremely biddable unless it's on the job. Adding newfounland to the mix is going to confuse matters a great deal and basically breed the job it was intended to do right out of contention, plus ruin it's athleticism entirely and possible introduce some very bad genetic problems. Any introduction of newfies I would consider a disaster.

Aside, I read on researching the breed that newfounlanders had been introduced in Russia to get the show model, to create that overblown overly heavy bear look. I wouldn't bother with showing stock at all if the dog has a job to do, these I believe also tend to be aggressive in the wrong situations.

If it can't do it's job as intended you have the wrong dog in the wrong environment. Sure if you need to tone it down a bit get another breed entirely. Isn't this always the case with "problem dogs", wrong owners, wrong dogs, wrong environment.

The biggest problem with the introduction of the working strains into the West is that they are truly magnificent dogs.

This look is what attracts many people to them, but sadly you can't own all the dogs in the world some are just beyond your reach that is to say not suitable. Changing them to suit suburbia or even a specific country is ruining the breed. End up just another useless couch potato and there are enough of those around.

I've never looked into dog breeds so closely before. Our pet dog is a JRT. I can advise anyone who gets a working CS that little tough dogs work very well as a catalyst. They have the very sharp alertness.

Patterdale

Visit site
:D you saying the daily mail is unreliable ! What what..foreign dogs over here causing havoc !

Coming over here, taking our jobs and our women..! :D

Yes I imagine they would make extremely good dogs with children. Ours is a first only almost two years old but Cedric shows an incredible kind and gentleness towards him.

If he is in his carry on in the morning sun on the ground the dog lies close by him, his back resting against the cradle not intefering at all. Just looking into the distance, something they do a lot of.

We don't have the slightest fear.

:eek3:
Well they do say ignorance is bliss...

cambrica

Visit site

Koen

Visit site
I know nothing of Caucasian shepherd dogs and have no intention of owning one (will stick with my Beardie!) BUT responding to this post - this has to be the most beautiful photography I have seen.

Its a nice dog that. Not a hint of newfie in sight, wonderful bone, not a fleshy wide dog. The coat is also super functional. This is the working strain type. Here's hoping it will never become a standardised show model "rare" breed.........

Last edited:

Turtlebay69

Visit site
I have one, called Bear, he'll be 3 in august, all I can say he's totally different from any of your normal breeds of dog, no matter how much experience you have with other breeds they are just so different! They are far far more independent for starters, not food orientated at all so forget trying to use treats or praise as a motivator, very strong willed and will only do something if he deems it neccesary or in the intrest of the saftey of his family so forget a breed that will want to go for long walks, do obedience and play fetch!! It took us ages to get what I would call basics with a normal dog and even then you can see he's not really intrested as it has nothing to do with what his instincts tell him - they were bred to be totally independant of people, Bears recall is only if he wants to, sit is an occasional thing, he learnt very quickly how to get out of doing something he doesn't want - we shut him in a stable when we have visitors who don't like dogs etc - he rolls over on his back and acts as a dead weight now and even draging him is not an option at around 8 stone, he's getting better but he has had to be put in a stallion stable as he's eaten his way through one stable door and a kennel door too!!!:p

I would not have one as a pet, they are a working breed full stop, we used to keep Bear indoors up until he was about 6 months old, he put his head through 2 windows trying to bark at the postman so he then moved outside, he also couldn't cope with the heat indoors even though we have stone floors and no heating, he didn't like not being able to see around him either! Their guarding instinct is very strong, Bear sat outside my bedroom door from 12 weeks old onwards as he could see all of our yard, he didn't move all night!! He now roams our 12 acres 24/7 and does as he pleases, most of the day he spends sitting on the front steps or in the middle of the yard to watch the gate even if it's blowing a gale and pouring rain he doesn't seem to notice, at night that's when he's at his most active he patrols the fields and woofs at most things - so not a dog to have if you have neighbors as they are very loud!!

They're not the sort of dog that will really play with others, we have 3 ridgebacks and 2 terriers and Bear likes to play with one of the terriers as he grew up with her although his idea of play is to pick her up by the tail and fling her or sit on her if she starts to yap at him!, he does occasionally chase a ball a few feet and wander off with it, he has a collection pile of things he's found, he's very good at finding lost horse shoes in the mud, so a bonus there!;) But he ignores for the most part our other dogs, he would probaly eat the neighbors dog if he could reach it as he hates it, he's fine with other dogs away from his turf and ignores livestock unless it comes up to our fence then he'll charge them. We do have horses who he won't let near 'his' yard nor does he like our red deer and will chase them away, he only seems to want to guard us, he does get on with our cats though and shows no intrest in the chickens so not a high prey drive.
I know someone else locally who has one and his is very much the same, he actually bit a delivery guy though as he made a sudden move towards the guys wife over their gate with the thing that you sign on, so you need to be very aware of what they are upto which can be hard as their body language isn't quite the same as other dogs and they don't give much away with their facial expressions either - think large fluffy rabbit that looks half asleep!:D

You need 6 foot fences too really or certainly higher than normal as they can jump and I'd say they probably would if needs be, so think very carefully before you get one, where abouts are you as you're welcome to come and meet ours, there are a few other CS owners about so well worth meeting a few before you buy and make sure you find a good breeder - there are only a few breeders who breed in the UK thank goodness so you may have to import.

OH WOW.. Thankyou for this, it did make me laugh in parts too!! Still thinking at the moment.

Turtlebay69

Visit site
Well guys! Thankyou all for the replies, they are all so interesting. I must say, I was guarded and I DO think for a very long time (it has been years now ha ha) about what breed to purchase, and I must say I do love hearing about experiences with these and I have been just a little bit put off overall. I am going to keep having a look around at other breeds along with considering the CS still. I do have horses, another dog, a livery yard of 20-30 odd people - so need sociable, BUT 200 acres of farmland and two houses that need protecting. I have loved reading this thread, so thankyou!