Cavalesse

horseriderdeb

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone used it and how good it was. I have a horse that suffers with sweet itch and was thinking of starting him on it

littleme

Visit site
its fantastic really does work! two horses at my yard on it for sweet itch, and one because of allergies, does a super job on all the itchy ones now rarely seen to itch!!

majca1

Visit site
We use Brewers Yeast and Nettex Itch Stop Salve feeding yeast all year but it works best if fed prior to the sweet itch season (25g of yeast every 24 hours for every 450kg of Horse) and using the Itch Stop on previously affected areas before the midges really start biting in early March.
25g of Brewers Yeast contains more Nicotinic Acid(Vitamin B3) than the equivalent quantity of Cavalesse (99% Niacinamide also Vitamin B3) Vitamin B only remains active in the system. for 24 hours. If you have ever heard feeding Marmite helps horses with Sweet Itch Marmite is made using Brewers Yaeast.
A tub of Itch Stop is ten times bigger than the tube of Cavelesse topical gel
I am convinced that the combination of Brewers Yeast and Nettex Itch Stop are at least as good as if not better than Cavalesse. This is our second year using this combination on Molly our cob. Last year she was 90% clear this year no sweet Itch at all. I don't think that Brewers Yeast or Cavalesse is a cure but I think they could help a lot of horses. The good thing about feeding Brewers Yeast is it has a lot of other benefits. It is a good natural calmer, it aids digestion, strengthens hooves, makes the coat shine and is cheap enough to feed everyday all year. All horses would benefit from it Sweet Itch or not.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Thanks post above. I read somewhere, on this forum I think, that Clivers (sticky stuff grows in hedgerows) is also very good for sweet itch; have yet to try it on mine as he's on working livery at the mo, back to my yard soon, so will try it. He's already had plenty of marmite sandwiches, loves them!

He's on the Bio Eos tablets at the mo so am trying not to give him too much in the way of other stuff - early results are inconclusive/too early to say perhaps. Anybody else on the Bio Eos? It came very highly recommended from the National Sweet Itch Centre, not a cure as such but apparently shown to help 90% of horses.

Flummoxed

Visit site
I used it last year, but found no improvement at all and the topical cream didn't seem to do anything either.

As it appears basically to be a very expensive Vitamin B solution, I have recently started feeding Brewers Yeast plus a Neem Leaf infusion (which reputedly has skin soothing qualities) as this year's experiment.

I also have the Nettex Stop Itch in readiness and the Boett rug has just had its winter clean.