cavalier for stud

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Any chance you could PM me pics and details, will be on the lookout for a blemheim dog to go to my bitch in the not too distant future
laugh.gif

Faithkat

Visit site
With the greatest respect, do you know anything about the responsibilities of owning a stud dog and the ins-and-outs of matings? Is he well-bred? Have you had him checked for heart problems, cataracts or retinal displasia which are all problems that can occur with Cavaliers? I showed and bred Cavaliers for 15 years and it's not as simple as people might think!!! It is your responsibility to provide the mating certificate to the bitch's owner and copies of his pedigree. I would also be very particular about bitches that come to him. Make sure they are all swabbed for potential infections - I had a very good stud dog rendered infertile when he picked up an infection from a bitch that I stupidly hadn't insisted on being swabbed and I know it has happened to other people too. I don't wish to sound patronising but Cavalier Rescue is kept very busy - think long and hard before you use your dog. Has he got outstanding qualities that will improve the breed? If not, don't do it.

Josh_craney

Visit site
yes of course i know he is in full health as he goes to the vet every year for a checkup and everything is purfextly fine.we have all the kennel club forms and regestrations we hve his family tree and he is a proven dog all i wanted was an idea for what to put in the yellow paper
ps cavalier king charles.if it was a king chalres i wouldnt have put cavalier in the subject.

and i have a question for you do you ask the owner of the bitch to get her swabbed and does the vet do this?

Faithkat

Visit site
You ask the owner of the bitch to get it done by their vet (and get the results!!!!) before she comes to your dog as they will need to bring the results sheet for you to see.

I'm not sure what you mean by "yellow paper" though?

Just out of interest, how is your dog bred? Do you have a piccie of him? Do you show?

Also. forgot to ask, are you a member of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club?

Faithkat

Visit site
Ah, I see!!!
Hate to tell you this but there's actually no such thing as a "Crufts Champion" - Best of Breed maybe or winner of the dog CC!!!!! Thank God the stupid Crufts TV programmes can now refer (correctly) to Best in Show NOT "Champion"!!!!
Who is your dog's great grand-dad??

Acolyte

Visit site
Blimey thats going back some! You might want to concentrate on more recent ancestors - parents and grandparents - bloodlines can get awfully diluted from that far back.

Faithkat

Visit site
Exactly what I was thinking. Alansmere Aquarius was my best show dog's grandfather and mine was born in 1984! There must be some very old dogs still producing puppies then . . . . Actually, with Cavaliers the further back you go, the less diluted they are as they were only bred seriously from 1928 (I can bore you with the story if you like!) and the original gene pool was minute. I did a 10 generation trace on the dog mentioned above (born in 1984) and by five generations back, it was all the same few dogs in his pedigree. They all go back to Daywell Roger and there were some very odd "crosses" in the old days to produce the longer nose - Paillons were used (hence the "gay" tails that still appear) and Cocker Spaniels which account for the "ticking" in tricolour coats.

Are you bored yet . . . . ????!!!!!

Acolyte

Visit site
Sorry to be cocky, but unfortunately I already knew that! My mum still breeds and shows and judges cavaliers - I believe she is on the CKCS Club comittee at the moment, and edits the annual year book - so when I was a teenager I too went on the 10-generation pedigree trail for my little tricolour bitch.

It is really quite interesting - and like you say, some of the old year books have got amazing pics of the original Cavaliers - nothing like you would see in the show ring nowadays
smile.gif