Cavallo Hoof boots: sport, simple or trek?

Mel1

Visit site
what is the difference between the sport, simple or trek cavallo boots, apart from their look?
for hacking, is there one better than the other?

I have never used them before, and I think my horse is just between 2 sizes (but she has just been trimmed) am I better to go to the smaller size or the bigger size?

as my horse has really sensitive skin and easily rub, I am considering getting the pastern wrap as well so does that affect the size that I should choose?

Emby

Visit site
Hi, I don't know about the trek ones, but the simple boots are for a rounder foot and the sport boots fit a foot that is longer.
I use the Simple boots for my section D mare and to start with I mistakenly bought the trek ones but they didn't fit at all.
As far as being between sizes is concerned I would go for the larger ones and use the pastern wraps.

SatsumaGirl

Visit site
From what I gather, it is purely down to materials and fastenings (though the Trek is sold in singles, rather than pairs).

The regular style will fit hooves that are round. i.e. as long as they are wide and the slim will fit hooves that are longer than they are wide. I think the Simple only comes in the regular style.

The Sport seems to have an easy to fasten closure and being made of material, rather than leather, probably means they are easier to clean.

Personally, having bought the Simple for two of mine, whilst they fit well and I've had no trouble with them from a staying on POV, the
straps are so fiddly to tuck into the plastic keepers, the ends have frayed making it even more difficult and the leather covering is starting to wear away, leaving the straps slightly weaker.

I really like the look of the Treks and when the time comes, I'll be replacing my Simples with them. They look to be more durable and easier to fasten than the Simple.

Basically, avoid the Simple! You'll spend about 20 minutes trying to tuck the straps into the keepers.

SatsumaGirl

Visit site
Hi, I don't know about the trek ones, but the simple boots are for a rounder foot and the sport boots fit a foot that is longer.
I use the Simple boots for my section D mare and to start with I mistakenly bought the trek ones but they didn't fit at all.
As far as being between sizes is concerned I would go for the larger ones and use the pastern wraps.

I believe the Sport and Trek now come in either regular or slim sizes, fitting both round hooves and those longer and narrow.

Darkwater

Visit site
From what I gather, it is purely down to materials and fastenings (though the Trek is sold in singles, rather than pairs).

The regular style will fit hooves that are round. i.e. as long as they are wide and the slim will fit hooves that are longer than they are wide. I think the Simple only comes in the regular style.

The Sport seems to have an easy to fasten closure and being made of material, rather than leather, probably means they are easier to clean.

Personally, having bought the Simple for two of mine, whilst they fit well and I've had no trouble with them from a staying on POV, the
straps are so fiddly to tuck into the plastic keepers, the ends have frayed making it even more difficult and the leather covering is starting to wear away, leaving the straps slightly weaker.

I really like the look of the Treks and when the time comes, I'll be replacing my Simples with them. They look to be more durable and easier to fasten than the Simple.

Basically, avoid the Simple! You'll spend about 20 minutes trying to tuck the straps into the keepers.

Or just use them without the keepers?

I've always used the simples for my mares round front feet, I don't use the keepers and i've never found them difficult to use at all or had any problems with them - I really rate them. I use the wraps on her hind feet as they are between sizes and the bigger size fits perfectly with these and the rubber insoles but I might consider trying the narrower sports boot next time

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
I have the simples for Saf's fronts, which are very round Welsh Cob feet. She was smack in between a size 2 and 3, I went for the 2, and they're great. Sometimes can be a struggle to get on if she due a trim, but better than them being loose. Love them!

Princess Rosie

Visit site
We have the simple boots for a 15hh trotter x mare and we also have trek boots on a 17.1hh WB. They both work well and the trek boots can be purchased separately which are useful if you have a horse with two different sized feet.

The pastern wraps are frankly awful, my mare is size 4 and the large pastern wraps are incredibly difficult to get on, despite them being large and supposed to be for size 5/6 boots - they barely go on a a size 4. If you research online you will see lots of people complaining about them. We just use stretchy socks on the WB and these are sufficient to make sure the boots don't rub.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
The only difference is the material and the treks are alot more breathable and easier to do up
I've just replaced the older simples with the trek regular fit just to see what they are like and I'm.really pleased with them

For pastern wraps use the easy boot ones, the cavello pastern wraps are crap.