Cavessons that don't twist

Caol Ila

Visit site
I hate Hermosa's cavesson because it doesn't stay in one place. Unless you make it overly tight, it twists to the side. I've lived with it for a while now, but I think can do better.

Of course, there are hundreds of the things on the internet. Does anyone have one they like that doesn't twist?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I never use one I think they are possibly the worst bit of kit they weigh a ton they end up on the horses eye, I cant understand why you would try and control a horse off the front of there nose, I use a showing cupla on a bridle and just clip a rope or lunge line onto that, it doesn't interfere with the mouth unless you want it to.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Micklem multibridle might suit - it didn't move or twist even when 650kg of cross maxicob understandably tried to leg it back to the stables from the arena in a sudden hailstorm ?. Can be used with or without a bit.

I mostly lunge off a head collar now, though.

Reactions: JGC

Skib

sites.google.com
Or RI does much work on the lunge. She uses a Spanish style cavesson which she had adapted witha aDSCN1178.JPGan additional strap. The only pics I have are of me in a lunge lesson, bareback with the cavesson over the bridle. I am older and fatter now.

sport horse

Visit site
I have a very old leather cavesson (more than 50 years!) and it has been used to break many, many horses as well as for regular lunging. All the horses have been large - between 16 hands and 17.3 big irish/warmbllod types. This cavesson never moves if it is done up correctly -the throat lash must be tight enough to pull the cheeks away from the eyes and the nose band must also be tight enough to keep it centrally placed across the bridge of the nose. As you can see from the photos it does have a metal frame that holds it rigid. Looking at photos of modern versions they are just round sheepskin padded affairs that Ican totally believe will not stay put. Sadly I suspect price has influencd design as mine probably cost more 50 years ago than a new one today.LUNGE 2.jpglUNGE.jpg

SEL

Visit site
Proper Spanish is the only way to go, try Plateau Holistic Equine or the Manolo Mendez one. The NoBackNoHorse group on FB has a list of "approved" ones I think, should all be goodies.
I think they've got one from Kramer equestrian one their list which looks good

I know what you mean by twisting - all mine do it to some extent and it's really annoying. I won't use a headcollar because they tend to brace their necks against the underneath pressure and the correct bend is harder to establish.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Proper Spanish is the only way to go, try Plateau Holistic Equine or the Manolo Mendez one. The NoBackNoHorse group on FB has a list of "approved" ones I think, should all be goodies.

I have joined way too many FB groups just for one snippet of information.

Does anyone who's a member of that group mind finding that list?

stangs

Visit site
"https://www.kramer.co.uk/.../Leather-Cavesson-Soft-Light

https://www.comfyhorse.co.uk/.../french-baroque-style.../

https://www.pioneerendurance.com/ this site is for made-to-measure endurance equipment made by Zoe Lindoop in the UK. A practical option, speak to her about shipping worldwide.

https://markusholst.com/tack-shop/cavesons - Swedish site shipping worldwide

https://www.charliesproducts.co.uk/.../baro-straightness.../

Last but not least is the Classic (rather than Competition) Micklem Bridle - also suitable for groundwork, and a saving if you already own one

From NoBackNoHorse

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I just use a halter, the type with the ring on the back of the noseband as then the ring moves round to take up any slack without moving the actual halter.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Mine is from Kramer but not the one listed. It has a soft leather noseband.

Just need to find a very good one.

I put in an ebay bid on a Micklem Multibridle. See if I win it.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I just use a halter, the type with the ring on the back of the noseband as then the ring moves round to take up any slack without moving the actual halter.

Very different effect for different work, the cavesson is to direct the head. A rope halter can be used to move towards liberty work but for most groundwork a semi rigid noseband, closely fitted, is ideal.

Mine is from Kramer but not the one listed. It has a soft leather noseband.

Just need to find a very good one.

I put in an ebay bid on a Micklem Multibridle. See if I win it.

I'd still recommend a metal lined Spanish cavesson over a Micklem.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My choice is to use a micklem multibridle with the bit clips on they are also excellent for doing a quick lunge followed getting on youngster with minimum fuss .
While I don’t like the leather my multi bridle is made of it I would not be without it .

ihatework

Visit site
Yes I figured that when I saw the replies and got ignored! Wasn’t obvious from initial post though.
Can’t help as I don’t use lunge cavessons!

quizzie

Visit site
I have a very old leather cavesson (more than 50 years!) and it has been used to break many, many horses as well as for regular lunging. All the horses have been large - between 16 hands and 17.3 big irish/warmbllod types. This cavesson never moves if it is done up correctly -the throat lash must be tight enough to pull the cheeks away from the eyes and the nose band must also be tight enough to keep it centrally placed across the bridge of the nose. As you can see from the photos it does have a metal frame that holds it rigid. Looking at photos of modern versions they are just round sheepskin padded affairs that Ican totally believe will not stay put. Sadly I suspect price has influencd design as mine probably cost more 50 years ago than a new one today.View attachment 100488View attachment 100489

Yes…I’ve got one of those, also at least 50 years old, with a moderately heavy padded metal hinged noseband…never moves an inch.

….try looking for a vintage one ?! ( hope this is the right link)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17214550...uNOuPLrDUkuc9zP44P/uuc8OM9|tkp:Bk9SR6ykvfn4YA

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site

Leandy

Visit site
I'm another one who doesn't know what you mean by twist? A cavesson should be very firmly done up. It doesn't fit loose like a head collar. By the same token, the horse shouldn't be allowed to lean on it and should be encouraged to develop self carriage, just as when ridden.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I never use one I think they are possibly the worst bit of kit they weigh a ton they end up on the horses eye, I cant understand why you would try and control a horse off the front of there nose, I use a showing cupla on a bridle and just clip a rope or lunge line onto that, it doesn't interfere with the mouth unless you want it to.
Well Hackamores do just that as most bit less bridles do - Usually you use the front one so you can have a slight bend to the inside, to mimic a riders inside contact while on a circle.
The side ones are used when lunging over jumps - mine have never moved anywhere near a horses eye. Never known any to do that unless it was badly fitted.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I hate Hermosa's cavesson because it doesn't stay in one place. Unless you make it overly tight, it twists to the side. I've lived with it for a while now, but I think can do better.

Of course, there are hundreds of the things on the internet. Does anyone have one they like that doesn't twist?
mine are like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255762436647?hash=item3b8ca11227:g:f9wAAOSwuSNjPrBc&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoHUo9XyEOVwmE9cPENPF0FfXKLIWFO+9q61VNlxYLQvJ7VQ/a/tRcNgKrQB3076UbMRRBM8DPAjfF3DezUXBGo3Ex34SC3clTNbI4WzK/uQI2mpIu8D/zf9GcpALWgitv/84Vual7xnM5rSeYmirXp0nG+J6Er8cec/Hp2U5h4bPXnV8Xc6J9qkblU5pc1IsV6u3cDQjqea6q1lyM6EtQbA=|tkp:Bk9SR8rT2cj5YA

Also an older one which is over 30 years old like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125552812147?hash=item1d3b87e073:g:2CkAAOSwwIFjQbnM&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoBj2xbovPmRSgTlseM+Sp0HPDe9dgHUCYwGdIS14uiVC4WXkfHkzZ44TiQLXlWwjmIjUFbAt0qJ0RukOS5ri9nomOs09d7/QE+/BGzjk8L2p2kKhspX8J4AzALmUYUQsqhPHz6suA2Go2rmiF1yyA5S05mgKuYQ2K2Ew6eB6cruAYOEPvaprbkBHG78ZJ4d/K/Km/mpiIxG1hG4DQ1rjKK4=|tkp:Bk9SR8zT2cj5YA

In the old days we put the cavasson on then a part bridle, as in head piece- cheek pieces and the bit, no noseband or reins unless breaking a horse in to bridle wearing or lunging a ride on.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
I'm another one who doesn't know what you mean by twist? A cavesson should be very firmly done up. It doesn't fit loose like a head collar. By the same token, the horse shouldn't be allowed to lean on it and should be encouraged to develop self carriage, just as when ridden.
They twist if they don't fit properly. Obviously they SHOULD fit properly but some of us seem to have horses with difficult shaped heads. I have 3 pony sized cavessons. 1 fits, 1 is massive around the nose and tight everywhere else and one appears to fit until it's in use when it moves unless I have it so tight I doubt the pony has circulation around her nose....

marmalade88

Visit site
I agree with previous posters a Spanish/Portuguese style with metal linning across the bridge of the nose. Great for all in hand work and you don’t need to have then overlytight for them to stay in place. I have one you also attach a bit to, so useful.