CC - first schooling session after my 'mortifying' lesson

BBP

Visit site
I posted after my last lesson that i was riding so badly and he was so resistant that i burst into tears in my lesson. I decided that I was burnt out and in pain with my disc, and that he was due a break, so after a quick trip to Keysoe for his first ever SJ competition:
7FC5.jpg

7EF9.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

we both had two weeks off.

Came back with me feeling quite stressed still and that i was ruining him. I had a lesson yesterday, told her how tense and tight I felt and we worked on me loosening off my legs and torso and he was so much more forward and willing so I have definitely been holding him back and have a lot to work on. These photos are from 3 days before the lesson, when I was still very tense and stiff. I wondered if anyone had any constructive thoughts or advice on my riding (ways to get my wretched hands out of my lap!), his way of going and his general condition. I know photos are just a snapshot but i don't have any video yet and I don't have other horsey friends to bounce ideas off. Many thanks!
2012-08-1909-23-07-IMG_6039.jpg

2012-08-1909-46-02-IMG_6083.jpg

2012-08-1909-46-53-IMG_6091.jpg

2012-08-1909-46-54-IMG_6092.jpg

2012-08-1909-50-05-IMG_6132.jpg

2012-08-1909-50-21-IMG_6137.jpg

2012-08-1909-56-45-IMG_6201.jpg

A little spanish walk as his reward:
2012-08-1910-21-18-IMG_6466.jpg

Very proud of him for putting up with me, he's come a long way from the highly strung, panicy pony of a few years ago.
2012-08-1909-22-47-IMG_6032.jpg

Brimmers

Visit site
My instructor used to tell me to pretend I was balancing a tray on my wrists to keep my hands and in a better position. It will odd at first but I found it really helped me carry my hands rather than dropping them :)

Gorgeous horse as well!

Princess Jess

Visit site
He's gorgeous, and I don't think you're ruining him at all! Don't be too hard on yourself, we all have off days.
If you find that you tend to tighten and become tense when riding it may be worth buying a copy (very cheap on amazon) of Sally Swift's Centred Riding. It's all about the little corrections a rider can do to their position to make life easier for the horse, its very rider focused and I've found it really helpful - you'll find yourself unconciously growing taller and adjusting your position after reading it without even realising! Might be worth checking out, there are also centred riding instructors if you'd rather have a lesson than read a book :)

BBP

Visit site
Thanks for that suggestion, I haven't heard about that book, I'll take a look! Anything to gain a more independent and relaxed seat.

Mavis007

Visit site
He looks gorgeous! My instructor used to get me to ride with either a whip or length of stick held across in front of me tucked under both thumbs! It certainly keeps your hands up and level. I felt totally disabled then to my amazement a few minutes later realised my horse was actually going better... In fact this has reminded me, must have another go at this! Also someone on here suggested thinking about closing the back of your armpits which I have also found really useful

BBP

Visit site
I was on the armpit thread, it was a really handy tip. I think main issue is I'm now do fixated on my back and being crooked that trying to do anything else stiffens me up. The whip trick might help as its more of a physical than mental reminder. Yesterdays lesson of being loose and taking the leg away showed me just what a handbreak a gripping leg is. He was so much more responsive and forward and I can see that he will then be much more able to collect and react when I do then apply the leg aids.

J&S

Visit site
Re "leg gripping" as you describe: an easy way i find to over come this myself, or explain to another person, is to imagine that the horse needs room to move between your legs. ie lessen the grip and he/she can use the space to go forward! This works for both forward and rein back by the way.

BBP

Visit site
Doing the 'out back and down' trick with my legs every marker seemed to help a lot. Hopefully then I can move to needing it every other marker, then every third until I can stay loose.

Sam_J

Visit site
I sometimes tell people to imagine they are carrying a tray of teacups on their hands. Another one I like is to remember that 'your hands belong to the horse' and the whip under both thumbs is also good.

And can I just add that he's a gorgeous horse and you are soooooo *not* ruining him!:)

rlhnlk

Visit site
He is very gorgeous and doesn't look remotely ruined. You look like a neat rider other than your hands, but one thing that strikes me is that you look like you're possibly either gripping or leaning on your knee's if that makes sense. This in turnis causing you to arch and hollow your back slightly. Maybe try taking your feet out of your stirrups and stretching them up and out to the sides to open your hips, see if it feels any different when you put your legs back down. Also think about dropping the weight right down into your feet and this can help you stay looser on their back and give them more freedom. I think I've explained this really badly so if it makes no sense or doens't apply then just ignore me please :)