Celebrating Phoenix and Reilee

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
They keep me sane and I really enjoy their company and the great pleasure of riding them. They have both been wonderful to compete and progress with this year (and previous years). Both are ISH, imported from Ireland from their breeders and both are by OBOS Quality 004.

Reilee (7), I have had from a yearling and bought her largely because her dam was related to another wonderful horse of mine (Milli who found BE Novice ridiculously easy when I finally figured out how to train and ride her) via a common sire (Zero Watt). (I had just lost Milli’s daughter at 10yo to colitis.) Reilee took time to mature physcially and mentally, so did not do very much before her 6 yo year (and just a few BE90s in the 2nd half of the season even then). She has really grown up this year, finishing with three completions at BE100 going clear XC every time and just rolling one pole SJ the last twice.

First pics are of bay Ledo (Milli’s daughter) who was a lovely horse taken far too soon and grey Milli (another superstar)
KEL-SEP-SAXC-0895.jpg

003478, desktop background.jpg
100_0654.jpg

IMG_7398.jpg
Then Reilee when I viewed her as a yearling before bringing her home:
100_2444.jpg
Followed by Reilee this year:
20190716_093442.jpg

Reilee XC at Kelsall Hill BE100 in September in v deep ground, rain and wind.

Reilee feels really classy SJ and XC and when she is good at dressage…she is v good…. – we need more of it though(!)? Her rideability is improving and she has an enormous stride that just eats up XC (and SJ related distances(!)). She is much more laid back than Phoenix, she naturally switches on for jumping, flat she is more variable (in training, she always switches on at competitions – particularly in the arena – just not quite with the correct focus and channelling(!)). When she is not actively required to be doing (or eating), Reilee tends to fall asleep, preferably lying down. She is a total dude about life and has been since a yearling (and foal according to her breeder). She is a responsive and intelligent horse who takes everything in, with very easy power. She loved being allowed to canter again out on the mountain yesterday, some happy bucks and neck snaking.

Because I was so pleased with Reilee’s temperament and attitude, I sought out another OBOS Quality horse when Milli lost her fight with melanoma. As Reilee was not yet backed and I had no horse to ride, I looked for a just backed horse instead of my usual yearling. Phoenix arrived in 2015 as a 4yo that had not jumped a XC fence, a great front end but slightly weaker behind – unsurprising for such a lovely big horse.

Since 2016, Phoenix has sailed up from BE90 to BE Intermediate with few runs required. I was v conscious of her size and need to strengthen for the first couple of years and I deliberately held her at Novice in 2018 to lay really strong foundations SJ and XC and gain experience around a wide range of courses. She finished 2019 at Allerton Park BE Intermediate and made a tough track feel pretty easy.

Phoenix when she arrived as a 4yo:
DSC00005.jpg
Phoenix this year:
20190727_115815.jpg

Phoenix XC at Allerton Park BE Intermediate in September:
Phoenix BE Intermediate Allerton Park XC, Sept 2019

Jumping Phoenix feels like unlimited power and scope and she is becoming so rideable and responsive that I am having to step up (again) on subtle aids (dressage and jumping). Our dressage trainer loves teaching me on Phoenix because of her incredible brain, responsiveness and athleticism. Ever since getting her at 4yo, Phoenix has challenged me to keep improving myself – she still is. One of my next key challenges is to improve in order to help Phoenix do herself justice in dressage tests. A ride on Phoenix is always stimulating and makes me smile – even when we start off walking on roads after her annual holiday. She played at running away with me out hacking this afternoon – loving being allowed to canter again. She is always ‘on’ if there is any stimulation around but (thankfully for all of us) has learnt to switch off and relax in her home and competition routines – I think being with Reilee and her horizontal outlook on life has helped greatly with this – Phoenix showed a lot of anxiety for her first 6 months here and everything resulted in over reaction. She is a comedian with people and horses and loves playing games (often with long suffering Reilee or the sheep (who she herds) and the pigs (who she still dislikes 4 years on, they enjoy winding her up…as long as they have a close escape route) as the subject).

I find that Phoenix is an extrovert and Reilee is an introvert, so their differences as well as similarities are really good for me as their carer and rider. All the best to both of them! ?

P.S. Phoenix would be cross that I talked about Reilee first ;) – or even at all….

20190920_105711.jpg
20190914_142825.jpg