Celebrities buying ponies.....

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Years ago i was riding at a riding school and there was a famous footballer whose daughter rode there. She fell in love with one of the ponies and he wanted to buy it for her. They refused to sell as the pony had had issues but was fine in that environment being ridden regularly with the staff also schooling and keeping his manners up to scratch. They knew it would probably go badly wrong with a novice child and owner. However it was a case of name your price to try and persuade them to sell.

TPO

Visit site
I am fairly sure the pony will be on full livery somewhere amazing. I can't see Kylie shovelling sh1t every day....

As much as I hate to admit to knowing this but the other Jenner sister, Kendall, rides and has horses so there has been ponies and horses in the family for a long time.

Admittedly I doubt any of them have ever mucked out a stall but I'm sure that the horses want fo nothing

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
'Cos, America.....they mostly have kids on horses there, ponies are not that common.

Also Germany, France, Holland until relatively recently. No ponies in the riding schools I went to in Switzerland in the 80's, all the kids learned on horses 16 hands or over.

Courbette

Visit site
Nah, wouldn't sell them it for a couple off quid. lol. I'd rather it went to a pony mad little person that would love it, not just because it was called 'Frozen' o_O why not call it Olaf?

At 17 if it the pony has always been known as Frozen, Olaf wouldn't have existed. I want to call my future dog Olaf :)

Circe2

Visit site
Also Germany, France, Holland until relatively recently. No ponies in the riding schools I went to in Switzerland in the 80's, all the kids learned on horses 16 hands or over.

I had a similar experience growing up on the continent. As much as I hate to say it, a Friesian is probably a decent child’s horse - we had a very big, gentle (and rather beautiful) alt-Oldenburg that I basically learned to ride on. Basically a ridden carriage horse. Ponies were hard to come by, and a bit of a luxury! Especially the fine and athletic Welsh/Connemara-type ones. Never saw a Shetland until I was in my very late teens..

buddylove

Visit site
Cute little pony, no recorded breeding but looks decidedly Welsh to me!!! She should have bought her a pony from the UK and saved herself a fortune!!!

Lois Lame

Visit site

Oh. Peculiar. If there's one thing I don't feel comfortable on it's a horse that doesn't fit me.
My step brother works in the wine trade. He says some restaurants sell 1 bottle costing completely stupid money. Because every so often someone will just ask for the most expensive bottle. And they happily oblige....
Exactly.

Last edited:

MouseInLux

Visit site
'Cos, America.....they mostly have kids on horses there, ponies are not that common.
I think you’re missing something. There are lots of ponies, they even have a huge show each year dedicated to kids on ponies...pony finals. In the hunter jumper world kids ride ponies until they age out if they don’t get too big. I can’t speak for other disciplines though.

Reactions: TPO

MouseInLux

Visit site
The NL have lots of ponies now. I used to source ponies for my daughters old riding school there. Lots of pony classes too.

BBP

Visit site
I think you’re missing something. There are lots of ponies, they even have a huge show each year dedicated to kids on ponies...pony finals. In the hunter jumper world kids ride ponies until they age out if they don’t get too big. I can’t speak for other disciplines though.
This is true, but when I lived in the states I had to learn to ride on some lovely big horses BEFORE I graduated on to the ponies! This probably isn’t the case everywhere but in this case the horses they used were kind and gentle and forgiving and gave me a nice experience, I never fell off any of them, even the 17.2 off the track TB now hunter/jumper. The ponies knew every trick in the book, ditched me on a frequent basis and were utterly devious. Of course long term I learned the most from one of the ponies who became my hunter jumper ride once I was good enough. He is still the horse of a lifetime for all I leaned from him.
As for the general cost, there is definitely an elite set in the H/J world who think nothing of spending that kind of money. Generally for the kind of horse or pony that can jump a 3ft-4ft course completely on their own, with no change of pace or stride, meeting every jump on the perfect spot, whilst making an average amateur look utterly amazing. My old boss had a stable of 10-12, all imported warmbloods, cheapest was a weak little thing at about 70k, top horse was around £250k. Lovely lovely horses, and a real pleasure to ride each and every one of them, but the prices were just bonkers.

Skib

sites.google.com
Might people inflate the price when offering to the famous and wealthy?
A lot of my learning was on a RS mare which was also ridden by a wealthy pop singer who was learning to ride. She turned down the offer to buy the mare for £10,000. I was then asked if I wanted her. I didnt want that mare myself but I thought the price was too high. This was about 16 years ago and one can see the going rate on H&H for sale ads.