Cellulitis advice please

Marigold4

Visit site
Went with a friend to view a lovely young horse this weekend. She really likes it as it ticks all the boxes and has a super temperament. On the way to the viewing, got a message from seller saying horse had come in with puffy hind legs and asking if we still wanted to come. Over half way there so we continued. Horse was super, unbacked 3 year old over from Ireland 10 days ago. Hind legs are swollen from below hock, round fetlock and pastern. There is swelling and legs are hot. Both sides the same. Horse not at all lame and pretty happy in himself. We believe the owner that this had just occurred and wasn't noticed until today because of yesterday's awful weather. So this is maybe 36 hours since swelling started. Vet is coming administer antibiotics.

What would you do? Walk away as it may re-occur? Give it some time - if so, how long? If you wanted to secure the horse, leave deposit refundable if it didn't pass vetting in say 7 days time?

Is it odd that both legs are affected rather than just one?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If the horse is sound and this is both legs then I would be questioning whether that is cellulitis. The ones I've known have been dog lame because it hurts so much and only one leg.

I would be concerned though, why that would happen in an unbroken three year old.

TPO

Visit site
I lost a horse to cellulitis at the start of the year so personally I'd walk away because it was horrendous.

Also if "proper" cellulitis you'd have a very lame and ill horse 36hrs in. My vet told me that they tend to say cellulitis as a blanket diagnosis but rarely is it "proper" cellulitis (like we managed to get ?).

Marigold4

Visit site
If the horse is sound and this is both legs then I would be questioning whether that is cellulitis. The ones I've known have been dog lame because it hurts so much and only one leg.

I would be concerned though, why that would happen in an unbroken three year old.
Thanks for replying. I thought that too - my only experience was in one leg and connected to a small cut. Any thoughts on what else it could be? Horse had been standing in all the previous day and that night. Very much not lame - flashy trot , strong canter and jumped like a stag over loose school jumps

Marigold4

Visit site

Double posted

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I thought that too - my only experience was in one leg and connected to a small cut. Any thoughts on what else it could be? Horse had been standing in all the previous day and that night. Very much not lame - flashy trot , strong canter and jumped like a stag over loose school jumps

If it's an infection (and the heat suggests it might be) I'd be thinking mud fever. If it's mud fever I'd be happy to buy once it's gone. If no mud fever can be found I'd be very cautious, and suspicious of potential circulatory (heart) issues.

It sounds very nice and you're obviously taken with it. I hope the vet can give some reassurance.

Marigold4

Visit site
Update: swelling completely gone after 3 days antibiotics. Friend has spoken to seller's vet who said it was nothing "untoward". Next problem is vetting vet doesn't want to vet till 2 weeks after last dose of AB. If we wait that long, however, no doubt someone else will buy it, as horse now looks fine.

quizzie

Visit site
Update: swelling completely gone after 3 days antibiotics. Friend has spoken to seller's vet who said it was nothing "untoward". Next problem is vetting vet doesn't want to vet till 2 weeks after last dose of AB. If we wait that long, however, no doubt someone else will buy it, as horse now looks fine.

Difficult one! Will another vet do the vetting?

The reason the vet wants to wait is probably to ensure that there is no reoccurrence and it has been a simple problem…..you need to discuss with the seller as re-vetting earlier could mean that a longer term issue is not picked up…it’s pretty unlikely…but you would be taking a risk.

Marigold4

Visit site
That's the worry - it will come back. Seller doesn't know horse very well as it's just over from Ireland two weeks ago. What about asking for a reduction in price to cover re-occurrence. Still a gamble though, I guess.

Marigold4

Visit site
I just worry that may be vet is right and she should wait - if it comes back after another week, then she's stuck with the horse/problem. We were thinking a couple of days off ABs would be ok, but vet seems to think differently.

Marigold4

Visit site
She's going to give horse a miss. It's odd that a young horse should have filled legs like that. There are always going to be other nice young horses from Ireland at that price.

Reactions: TPO