cellulitis help

monarch_angell

New User
Visit site
<font color="blue"> </font>
Any suggestions on how to treat cellulitis? My 8 yr old QH/Arab gelding came up lame on his LH leg, his leg is swollen from his hock down and will not bare any weight on it for over a week, had a temp of 103.8F, had the vet come out and now hes on Doxy and Dex but its been almost a week and still not better. I am worried about how long this is going to take to heal as the vet told me that within a week he should be rideable/workable. Have wraped his leg with lidament, DMSO, cold water, you name it, still the swelling will not go away and he will just barely toe touch. Diff A/B?? Time?? Wrap?? Any suggestions will be helpful.

weetmanswagon

Visit site
My 23 yr old TB had an awful case of it, his leg was just huge and he couldn't even begin to put weight on it when it first happened. Massive shots of antiflammatories and antibiotics worked and antibiotic powders for a couple of weeks after. Also, gentle walking inhand seemed to work abit. My vet did recommend cold hosing and pressure bandages but my horse lives out so it was impossible. His leg is still swollen round the fetlock and I don't think it will ever go back to normal although it really doesn't seem to bother him.
Better luck with yours

ss1

Visit site
My mare had a bad case of this following hock surgery. Really hot and she was really lame with it (she's not a lamey horse either). It was back to the vets for a 5 day course of intravenus antibiotics and anti-inflamatories with 15 minutes of walking inhand twice a day plus cold hosing (she was supposed to be on 6 weeks box rest). Came home with a further 5 day course of oral anti-biotics and anti-inflamatories and told to keep up the cold hosing.

I seem to remember it taking a few weeks to get back to normal but she was on box rest so could only do a limited amount of walking to deal with the fluid etc.

Hope it all works out for you!